PDA

View Full Version : Woolly Jumpers?

harry_tippers_love_child
31st Oct 2002, 11:15
So - my old poll has got some tempers fired up and some pulses racing, time for another one.

Aiming is conclusively hereby proven to rock in TS2, and I aim to prove that the lack of a jump button does, too...

So state your claim - it won't cost you a penny/cent/pfennig/kroner or whatever.

I personally think that jumping nine feet in the air whilst firing precision accurate rail gun stuff into people's heads is beyond the capacity of most olympians, let alone gamers... AND, I think it looks very silly and belittles a good frag fest when everyone is jumoing around and generally behaving like children.

BUT, there are those who disagree, this is your chance to be heard. Speak now, Jumper lovers.

Polls are open.

BeCan
31st Oct 2002, 11:22
I also would hate jump in ts2. But I love q3 and jumps :D

Chimpinablimp
31st Oct 2002, 11:31
I think a jump would be good to get up onto rocks and ledges and stuff, but ppl would use it in the middle of battle and stuff, which shouldn't be allowed. grrr.
Overall, I think it's wise they didn't put it. Although it is a waste of two buttons on the ps2 controller. They should've found something to put there though.. If that's a jump, then so be it.

harry_tippers_love_child
31st Oct 2002, 16:54
U could always put change weapon up/down on Square and Circle, thereby avoiding having to stop moving to change weapons, unless you use the DREADED auto change :) I tried it, but personally I think it works best on the d-pad. And I never use auto change cos it has done me some horrible wrongs in the past. It fails to grasp that in most close quaters combat, the rocket launcher is not the ideal choice!:D

JSH333
31st Oct 2002, 21:27
Nah, I think it would be S**t being able to jump, it would be like changing from a FPS to a ThirdPS, IT WOULD DREADFUL!!! so lets just keep it as it is huh?

Undead Priest
31st Oct 2002, 22:29
The first seriously well thought poll. I salute u lovechild

"Where do you go, Where do you go, MY LOVELY" (some No Mercy for you

BeCan
1st Nov 2002, 06:19
Wrong song Undead Priest, it's like this:
"Would you love a monster man, could you understand the beaty of the beast?" :D

Hot Lead Junkie
1st Nov 2002, 14:09
it probably wouldnt make any difference to jump cause the autoaim would lock on anyway and there is nowhere u cant get on the maps if u jump where u just cant walk to in the map. its not as startegic as halo deathmatches, so where u would jump out of the way of a jeep, jump to a sniping spot or whatnot in halo, there is no real reason for you to do so in ts2 cause none of that applies. but yes, jumping would help casue of those tiny little walls you cant seem to walk over block your path are annoying

harry_tippers_love_child
2nd Nov 2002, 17:57
Well, I am of the opinion that the reason TS2 benefits from NOT having a jump button is that all multiplayer games that DO end up looking like a fight between a bunch of amphetamine addled kangaroos armed to the teeth with rocket launchers, and where I'm from, that ain't street.

Lazarou
3rd Nov 2002, 19:12
Speak for yourself.....:p

STM
3rd Nov 2002, 19:51
Originally posted by Lazarou
Speak for yourself.....:p

^^^ I agree. :D

I was just having another go on Chasm today and I thought: Damn, this would be so much more fun if I could jump through that gap there. Same with Chinese. C'mon, you guys know you want to jump through that glass and grab the armour without having to go around and inside! I really don't know how people can hate a jump button. I mean sheesh. (Ofcourse I'm biased here since I've been playing the Splinter Cell demo again today - Jumping = GREAT!)

PS. Aiming was proven NOT TO SUCK. That doesn't mean the aiming rocked.

thebreadking
3rd Nov 2002, 19:58
Maybe not a JUMP button so much as a CLIMB button. In Rogue Spear, there is no jumping, but you can climb over most obstacles (of reasonable height, of course). I havent seen anyone post that they actually like to JUMP during a firefight, just that they want to CLIMB over things...I think that could appease both parties (except for those "amphetamine addled kangaroos" who like to feel special)...

Lazarou
3rd Nov 2002, 20:07
Some games are just better with jumping than others. Jumping is an important aspect because it adds to the realism of the expierience. However, I can also understand the fact that it can become ridiculous with people constantly jumping, and there are games where jumping is not realistic at all (especially when it's like 12 feet in the air), and it is actually better not to do so. With TS2 it could have been interesting to be able to jump, but I don't think it suffers at all with out it. Perhaps smaller jumps could have been put in place - more realistic ones. This too could have been subject to the character abilities i.e. greater agility = higher jump, but not by much.

STM
3rd Nov 2002, 20:14
Jumping adds to realism? I'm not so sure about that... It adds to the immersiveness of the game though I guess.

Anyways, many people say that jumping looks ridiculous or silly. So? That will fit perfect for a game like TS2 wouldn't it? TS2 isn't your realistic FPS by any measure of the word and the addition of a silly jump (I like the "Climb idea" but I think it should be "hopping over" something instead of climbing over something - takes too long) certainly won't stop this game from being a silly fun game. We already have the bots doing cartwheels and back flips and slides/dives so why shouldn't the player have a jump then? If you ask me, the makers like their bots more than us, the gamers. :D

Hot Lead Junkie
3rd Nov 2002, 21:35
if the player could do dives and rolls like the bots, i dont think the bots would be much of a challange anymore. anyhow, i find this post a bit stupid now, stop prattling on about "it would be better if..." and play the game as it is now. i know people like to hear other peroples opinions but this is getting a bit silly.

harry_tippers_love_child
4th Nov 2002, 10:33
Easy now HLJ - I think most people enjoy sharing their ideas about how their favourite games could be made better / who agrees etc. Isn't that what the forums are for in the first place? :)

If we stopped "prattling on" about what improvements could be made, all there'd be is bloody console wars and "how do I unlock so and so". N'est-ce pas?

Hmmm, could be a good poll though....

P.S. Undead Priest - glad u like the poll :D, cheers

El-Spaz
4th Nov 2002, 16:37
I am definitely one of the anti-jump proponents. They are so annoying in the multi-player mainstream. On the other hand though i would love a little bit of realistic jumping in the Single-player mode. It just doesn't feel real not being able to jump onto or over those extremely low walls in the siberian dam level. Also, not being able to jump through the windows in the Chineese Resturant level is really annoying. As much as i despise all of the kangaroo jumps of most Multiplayer FPS, i wouldn't mind the smaller more realistic jumps to make things more fun (someone on the other post mentioned jumping off of a cliff onto an unsuspecting enemy - that is fun)

Hot Lead Junkie
4th Nov 2002, 17:07
srry about that rant, just a little hyper recently :D :D :D :D :D

BeCan
5th Nov 2002, 06:27
And btw, who has time to jump middle of fight? U need at same time to move or you will be killed. The jump coulb be good at the "puzzles" :D (meaning those low walls every one is talking about)

Gazado
5th Nov 2002, 09:02
Timesplitters 2
This game was made without jumps and therefore the level structure is well-balanced with this in mind. The lack of jumping in deathmatch makes it more skill-full because you arnt able to jump out of the way from on-comming baddies, but again this can be down to personal preferance.

Quake games
Jump has always been a part of these games and to remove it would be like crazy. Look on the net for Quake jump centre and you will realise the amount of over the top fun that jumping provides a LOT of people. Overall though Quake was made with jumping in-mind and as such the levels are contstructed properly for it.

So Summing up then:

Jumping in TS2 would probably not be that great because the levels are not designed with jumping in-mind where-as the levels in Quake are designed for jumping. (but of course they are wildly different games anyway and shouldnt be compared in this way...)

*grins*

cp_terran
8th Nov 2002, 00:27
How many FPS's have a jump function
Ans: NOT MANY!

harry_tippers_love_child
25th Feb 2003, 15:37
The polls are still open, so come on in and have your say - I have noticed that this issue is kicking around again, so why don't you stand up for democracy - vote, people!!

(BTW it's supposed to be "I hate not having a jump button", but it came out as "I hat..." sorry folks!)

Hank Nova
25th Feb 2003, 16:05
If they did put it in, people would say TS was better without it. but what do i know I'm still sore from those eel stings.

harry_tippers_love_child
25th Feb 2003, 16:31
Originally posted by Hank Nova
If they did put it in, people would say TS was better without it.

lol
Yeah - you're probably right! :):D

Echarin
25th Feb 2003, 16:53
Originally posted by Hot Lead Junkie
it probably wouldnt make any difference to jump cause the autoaim would lock on anyway and there is nowhere u cant get on the maps if u jump where u just cant walk to in the map. its not as startegic as halo deathmatches, so where u would jump out of the way of a jeep, jump to a sniping spot or whatnot in halo, there is no real reason for you to do so in ts2 cause none of that applies. but yes, jumping would help casue of those tiny little walls you cant seem to walk over block your path are annoying

You use auto aim.....? Who uses auto aim...? That is the worst way of cheating...

Hank Nova
25th Feb 2003, 19:39
Originally posted by Echarin
That is the worst way of cheating...

more worst than putting in a code and completing everything without lifting a finger?

me'
25th Feb 2003, 19:41
Originally posted by BeCan
And btw, who has time to jump middle of fight?

YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

Please excuse the flame, but have you ever played a game such as Unreal tournament? The 'jump' button adds a new depth to the evasion tactic, not to mention the offensive!. Do you jump all the way home, not jump but strafe like no tommorrow or just jump a little? TS2 forces the players to take the second option, whether they like or not.

Basically, it all boils down to this: jumping = chaos. Survival of the fittest. Whether it's jumping to get the angle for an easier headshot, or with a bit of air dodging, or even just to climb a ledge in order to escape an enemies line of fire.

Why shouldn't you jump in the fray? What wrong with ?aiming up, for Mike's sake? Enemy has a Rocket Launcher? Jump and avoid the splash damage. Too low for a quick headshot? Jump and get the correct angle. Victim just popped out of your line of fire? Jump and get a revenging headshot with the sniper rifle.

Also, in TS2, guns like the SBP90's and Minigun rule, because all you have to do is sweep left and right to get just about anyone. But why can't jump to avoid this tactic?

Reaperbot
26th Feb 2003, 03:26
OMG!!!!!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH JUMPING!!!!!

CS HAS JUMPING! IT MAKES THE GAME BETTER TOO!!!
HOW DOES ADDING A JUMP BUTTON MAKE IT MORE OF A THIRD PERSON THAN A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!!!

YOU'VE BEEN ABLE TO JUMP IN FPS GAMES SINCE QUAKE!!!!

Doesn't it make it feel a bit outdated!
I hate it how you can't jump in TS2.
It would be so cool!

Anyway, we've already had a post like this!

harry_tippers_love_child
26th Feb 2003, 09:45
Originally posted by Reaperbot
OMG!!!!!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH JUMPING!!!!!

CS HAS JUMPING! IT MAKES THE GAME BETTER TOO!!!

I think you've shot yourself in the foot there. Twice. CS may have jumping. Of precisely WHAT relevance is that to a discussion of TimeSplitters2? :rolleyes: And stating that it makes the game better is your opinion, one which is entirely based on your subjective judgement... I've said it before, but if TS2 were like CS it's be CS, and then we'd have two CS's, and one would start feeling jealous and insecure. Then we'd be in trouble.

Anyway, we've already had a post like this!

If you check the date of this thread, it's been around a lot longer than you.

Reaperbot
26th Feb 2003, 10:02
Woah you're right, wait a min, didn't you just change the name of the thread?

harry_tippers_love_child
26th Feb 2003, 10:09
nope, only the moderators can edit a poll.

Hank Nova
26th Feb 2003, 13:43
Originally posted by harry_tippers_love_child
If you check the date of this thread, it's been around a lot longer than you.

yeah where have all these people gone?

Reaperbot
27th Feb 2003, 02:57
Originally posted by Hank Nova
yeah where have all these people gone?

Do you mean where have all these noobs (me.....:( ) come from or where have all the other people gone?

harry_tippers_love_child
27th Feb 2003, 12:58
I'm guessing he means all the "old-timers" ;)... we used to be so many, but now we are so few... anyone else coming up for their "senior membership"??? I guess it's just because people finished TS2, or got bored of it, or got seduced by new games, or just got bored of posting... anyhoo - good to see that the forum's a bit livelier nowadays, just after Christmas it was completely dead... weird huh?

El-Spaz
27th Feb 2003, 15:07
I'm guessing he means all the "old-timers" ;)... we used to be so many, but now we are so few... anyone else coming up for their "senior membership"??? I guess it's just because people finished TS2, or got bored of it, or got seduced by new games, or just got bored of posting... anyhoo - good to see that the forum's a bit livelier nowadays, just after Christmas it was completely dead... weird huh? Ah yes! The good old times. Back when the game first came out and there were no real experts. Everyone was learning from each other, and there was peace, and joy, and no fighting, or bickering, or disagreeing...oh wait forget that last part. By the way congrats ahead of time on the promotion to "Senior Member". Only 18 more posts left and i will no longer be alone at the top, yeah!...oh wait is that a good thing or a bad thing!?! ;)

It's also nice to be able to come on here and having more than 3 posts in a 24 hr timespan. Man that post Christmas lull was killing me!

harry_tippers_love_child
27th Feb 2003, 15:11
Yeah it was different back then, but it's getting better again, isn't it? Maybe it's the TS3 thing that's got everyone all excited again. Although when I joined even though I was pretty sure I got the game as soon as it came out, there was already one bona fide expert - you remember "Robofish"?? The guy had comlpeted like 95% of the game within about an hour and a half of owning it!

Duckman Drake
27th Feb 2003, 15:28
I voted "I don't care either way." Jumping's fun (HILARIOUS in Jedi Outcast if you've allocated enough Force points towards jumping) but it's no biggie if TS3 is sans hopping.

By the way, my hovercraft is indeed full of eels... what should I do? LOL

Little_Devil
27th Feb 2003, 15:32
Originally posted by Duckman Drake
By the way, my hovercraft is indeed full of eels... what should I do? LOL

Try new and improved eel-be-gone. Guarenteed to ward of all unvanted seacreatures. Now with the wonderfull scent of roses, lime and llama.

Duckman Drake
27th Feb 2003, 15:36
Mmmmmmmmm.... llama....

Reaperbot
28th Feb 2003, 03:45
'Don't be llama, buy a Dell for a l33t price!"
Argh! Damn Gamespy banners!

Hank Nova
28th Feb 2003, 11:27
You remember "Robofish"?? The guy had comlpeted like 95% of the game within about an hour and a half of owning it!

yeah i remember, he's my hero, no not really but i thought he was pretty cool. HTLC is soon to be seniour member and i think im next in line with 300 and somthing posts but i may be wrong.

harry_tippers_love_child
28th Feb 2003, 12:57
And lo,

I AM a Senior Member...

Me & El Spaz... we rule!!

Or maybe we're just suffering from a nasty case of TimeSplitters2 related verbal diahorrea (???) ;)

Sorry about that!

:D:D:D

Here's to another 500!

**Raises glass (or at least styrofoam coffee cup)**

:cool:

Hank Nova
28th Feb 2003, 14:14
*also raises styrofoam coffee cup* well i'll drink to that, even if it is only orange squash.

El-Spaz
28th Feb 2003, 15:26
Here's to another 500!

**Raises glass (or at least styrofoam coffee cup)**

:cool:

I'll drink to that (not right now mind you becuse i'm in the computer lab at school and would be taken out and shot if i brought any type of drink in here, but later when i meet my wife for lunch and drink my Sprite)... Congrats! You will now enter the forum as a completely different man!..... well, not too much different hopefully!

BTW... Go Hank Nova!... You only have 183 more posts to go! I never realized you were a youngin'....only 16 or so...well, keep up the good work.

I wonder who else is coming up on seniorhood. Maybe our lovely moderator KittenCeleste. I'll have to check her stats... of course she's never really going to be a senior because of her Moderatorhood, but...eh

Rare
1st Mar 2003, 03:18
I think jumping could be used to the advantage of all the players, like you could jump out of the way of one bullet, only to jump off the map and die...This could be fun and if there was a 'cut' switch for the jump, like you could turn it off in the optoins then all would be pleased.

Reaperbot
1st Mar 2003, 04:49
Senior member huh.......can yuo go further than that?

me'
3rd Mar 2003, 20:10
Uh, could we get back on topic here?

harry_tippers_love_child
4th Mar 2003, 17:33
Sure - jumping sucks. there we are - back on topic. Can we get back into the main forum now please??? Pretty please??? Ah go wan.

There's a packet of butterscotch Angel Delight in it for the moderator who gets us back into the main forum.

Jumping. TS2. Jumping. TS2. Jumping. TS2

There how much more on topic do you want!?

:D :D :D :D :cool:

kirstyg_w
4th Mar 2003, 21:52
I said I didn't really care either way. WHY DID I VOTE IF I DON'T CARE? WHY?

Help me.

mrsprinkles
22nd Mar 2003, 09:35
its so much better not having a jump button, you actually dont need one for anything, anyway it would only make the game easier

Reaperbot
22nd Mar 2003, 11:34
How is it better not having a jump button!??!!??!?!?!!??
You can use it to jump into vents, jump over crates to get to platforms, use it to dodge bullets.........

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a proper reason why jumping makes it worse other than it "looks silly"!! Monkeys throwing exploding coconuts is silly!

Play some half life, red faction, counter-strike, halo or any other fps to see how jumping makes it better.

invizegoth
24th Mar 2003, 07:44
Play some half life, red faction, counter-strike, halo or any other fps to see how jumping makes it better.

No jumping is one of the things that sets this game apart from the rest of the herd.
It's a good thing, methinks... :)

Reaperbot
25th Mar 2003, 04:05
Sure its original, but it's then just taking more good things away!
You kinda need jumping!

invizegoth
25th Mar 2003, 07:27
Well, t's all down to a matter of taste, really.

I for one like TS2 due to the lack of jumping.
Unreal just makes me nauseaus.

This has probably been mentioned earlier in the thread, but how about adding it as an option in the next game. That way, everyone's kept happy. Providing you don't have missions where jumping is necessary...

Reaperbot
26th Mar 2003, 04:38
OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

That is a good reason!
TS2 : good for ppl with motion sickness!
But still this has no excuse for the rest of the ppl that say that jumping sucks.

Also in a game, you either have jumping or no jumping, you can't really have it as an option.

Hank Nova
22nd May 2003, 12:23
Also in a game, you either have jumping or no jumping, you can't really have it as an option.

Why not?

KittenCeleste
4th Jun 2003, 19:46

There's a packet of butterscotch Angel Delight in it for the moderator who gets us back into the main forum.

Woot! An old thread to resurrect!

Never reacted to this post.. :o Seems like ages ago..
How did you know my favourite is butterscotch, then??? ;)

Anyone here not voted yet? C'mon, let's get the forum up and jumping again! :D

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/ts2/images/forum_pics/hop.gif

Hank Nova
4th Jun 2003, 20:36
sorry i already voted, nice rabbit though :D

Reaperbot
6th Jun 2003, 08:53
That rabbit kinda looks like its in a straight jacket!

KittenCeleste
6th Jun 2003, 11:18
That rabbit kinda looks like its in a straight jacket!

He does a bit, doesn't he??
I always thought he REALLY had to go.. :p

KC