PDA

View Full Version : Question about the names

4Eyes
29th Oct 2002, 14:47
Does anyone know why some of the commandos' names are different in the european version as compared to the american version?

For example: The Green Beret is called Jerry "Tiny" MacHale in the US, while in Europe, he's called Jack "Butcher" O'Hara

Rene Duchamp is called Spooky in the US, while he is known as Frenchy in Europe.

Sid "Tread" Perkins also has a different name here in the European version, though I can't think of it right off the bat.

Natasha's nickname is "lips" in the US, while she's "La Seductora" (The seductress) in Europe.

Just wondering...

Yakkalot
29th Oct 2002, 15:20
I thought they were all the same in C2?

In CBEL/BCD they were different in the US and Euro versions, why nobody really knows.

In some of the C2 movies, Lupin was said to be from new york, but the rest of them france/spain...

Longshot
29th Oct 2002, 17:11
I think it has to do with some of the name not translating over very well. EG. Tiny in english translate to klein in German...loses some of the dazzle.

4Eyes
30th Oct 2002, 07:54
According to my manual, they have once again changed the names.

@longshot: Perhaps, but Butcher sounds much less cool than Tiny, especially for a guy like the Green Beret. Then again, even the European version of the game is in English, with only a translated (in my case a Dutch) manual.

And another funny thing: According to the american website of Commandos 2, Lupin was a mastermind criminal who stole pieces of artwork from the Germans, while in my manual it says he stole Spooky's (Frenchy) suitcase when on a train, thinking it was a German Officer's suitcase. Spooky then introduced him to Paddy Maine (who IS that guy, anyway) and he joined the Commandos shortly after that.

Another inconsistency is in regards to Natasha. While in the US, she was working for the Red Army, while in the European version, she is the daughter of the Russian ambassador in the Netherlands (hence her first appearance in the last level of C:BTCOD) or just the other way around, I don't really remember.

Strange that they would think up two entirely different backgrounds just for the sake of localization.

Thorup
30th Oct 2002, 11:08
Butcher is a so much cooler name than tiny.

1shot1kill
30th Oct 2002, 14:23
Originally posted by 4Eyes

Another inconsistency is in regards to Natasha. While in the US, she was working for the Red Army, while in the European version, she is the daughter of the Russian ambassador in the Netherlands (hence her first appearance in the last level of C:BTCOD) or just the other way around, I don't really remember.

She is the daughter of an Ukrainian mother and a Dutch father, she lived in Holland and worked for the resistance

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
30th Oct 2002, 19:21
Originally posted by 1shot1kill

She is the daughter of an Ukrainian mother and a Dutch father, she lived in Holland and worked for the resistance

well.....in the ammo pack that i bought here in sweden it says on one of the profile thingies that you get when you purchase the ammo pack:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Natasha Nikochevski
Place Of Birth: KIEV
1928: Enters The Soviet Intelligence Service.
1934: Achieves The Rank Of Elite Sharpshooter In The Red Army.
1935: After A Murky Incident With A Political Commisar, She Is Sent To Siberia, Where She Remains For Two Years.
1940: Goes To Germany With Orders To Obtain Information Regarding A Possible German Attack On The USSR.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

basicly what i understand of that is that she's Russian, based on place of birth, last name and where she chose to work.
This paper thingie could be wrong (most likely is) cause when it comes to commandos no one really knows where any of the team mebers are from.

<Edit>Sid "Tread" blabla is also listed in these files as Samuel "Brooklyn" Brooklyn (very Inventive)
He's also Born in Brooklyn and hence the nickname brooklyn.
<Edit>

1shot1kill
30th Oct 2002, 19:36
Well, there are differences between the BtCoD, MoC and the C2 website profiles too so who knows?

Yakkalot
1st Nov 2002, 10:58
You'll notice also that in BCD nat's name was Van de Zand, in C2 it is Nikotchevski (sp)