PDA

View Full Version : FFVII Activation Limit

ScarletAdorned
15th Sep 2012, 10:05
A required security module cannot be activated.
This program cannot be executed (5002).

Now it looks like this game has been plagued with issues now that I have run into it with no disclaimer a whole month after the initial fiasco... Only to run into what I thought was one of the main issues when it was released by accident or whatever.... But I got my code, registered the game on here, and I can't even start it up because I keep getting that damn error message.

Is there something I am missing or should I just figure out how to get a refund(how about a link to the actual support page I need to go to, not just vaguely saying "Check that forum post a few back, and then follow the link to the main page of the site, and there will be no info on our end on what you need to do to issue the claim."

ChirmiPlay
6th Nov 2012, 21:05
I recently bought FF7 and I wanted to play on my Windows 7 PC and on my Linux one.

I activated it on W7 "without" problems, and I activated it on the Wine emulator for Linux -for running Win apps-. The problem is that every time I wanted to play on Linux, the game asked for the serial -wasting activations-. As I played several times on Linux, it reached the limit of activations on that PC. But the game didn't alow me to revoke the licence, cuz the system said "The game is not activated" or something like that.

Actually I can play on W7 but I wanna know if there's a way to play it on the other PC, skipping the activation request and all that stuff (if I use cracks, I can't use the cloud saves. I want a better solution).

Already contacted SecuROM, but they said they can't help me...

Any ideas? Thnx and sorry 4 my english

osgZach
10th Nov 2012, 19:47
Well the best solution would be to find out why your WINE install is not saving data like that. If it just plain doesn't, it damn well should.

Hopefully the activations will time out or something eventually. But you'd probably need to email Square-Enix

kansuke-607700
1st Dec 2012, 22:12
Well the best solution would be to find out why your WINE install is not saving data like that. If it just plain doesn't, it damn well should.

Hopefully the activations will time out or something eventually. But you'd probably need to email Square-Enix

my game is burned, so I shall go look for a cracked launcher to run it on my Linux. So thank you for the lesson, and I shall never buy from you. Silly business tacticts. Go to hell.

Grimoire
2nd Dec 2012, 01:39
Technical issues with [FINAL FANTASY VII] belong in the [FINAL FANTASY VII PC Technical Issues and Support Forum (http://na.square-enix.com/go/forum/view/139347/236247/final_fantasy_vii_pc_technical_issues_and_support_forum)]. You are more likely to receive help there than here.

osgZach
3rd Dec 2012, 17:29
I guess its a good thing he'll never buy from me, because I wasn't selling anything in the first place.

Gotta love the Internet....

member_10580445-297256
14th Jan 2013, 22:13
So it looks like i can't use my serial key anymore after i format it windows a few times and got a new PC.
How can i revoke all the activation for my key I email securom and got this

Unfortunately, we are unable to increase your activation limit and have been
advised by the software publisher to direct users with these inquires directly
to them.

You can find a list of publishers by clicking on the following link:
support.securom.com/faq_nsr.html (https://support.securom.com/faq_nsr.html)

Best regards, Any Help?</pre>

Grimoire
15th Jan 2013, 04:58
- Submit your issue to [SQUARE ENIX Customer Service] support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.ph... (http://support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=444&la=1)
- Submit your issue to [Digital River Customer Service] CustomerServices@digitalriver.com (mailto:CustomerServices@digitalriver.com)
- Call [SQUARE ENIX Customer Service] 310-846-0345

Freyar
15th Jan 2013, 21:27
Looks like Digital River is at it again. Not only do we have the wonderful 30-day limitation on downloading the tiny 346KB downloader that then downloads the actual game, but we have stupidly restrictive activation limits too. I've not even gotten out of Midgar itself and I'm out of activations due to these limitations. One Activation on my home machine. One Activation on my laptop, a second reactivation on my home machine after I mistakenly uninstalled it, and an activation at work to play during my off-time or during after-hours maintanence.

Four activations and that's it. I'm told that my license cannot be activated again. I had this exact problem with Atari's store when I bought Emergency 4. I expect better from Square Enix and since this game requires people to log in and register their serial numbers, it makes ZERO sense what-so-ever to limit the number of activations I get.

I'm not a thief, I'm not a criminal. I'm a customer, I paid the price to be able to play this game and because of limitations imposed on BUSINESS software sold in 1999 I'm not able to access my license that has only been used by me in a game that was designed on this release to use cloud saves. Square-Enix, you guys put cloud saves into this game, but penalize me for doing so. You don't have a well-documented method (or even a method at all as far as I am aware) to free up activations for my license. Why did I, against my better judgement, do business with you guys here?

You may tell me to submit a support ticket to Digital River regarding this issue, but let me make it clear; I am a customer of Square-Enix. I paid the Square-Enix store, run by Digital River, to have access to this product. This is not something that Digital River can fix, this is a policy issue with Square-Enix's digital distribution. Why does Steam do so well? Because I don't have to put up with being treated like this. Once I buy a legitimate license, I can enjoy the awesome story on any machine I log into as many times I want.

TL;DR

<ul>
Activation Limits Suck
I, the purchaser of my license am the only one to use my license.
There is no way to deactivate licenses for this game.
I can no longer install Final Fantasy VII as a result of these activation limits.
[/list]

<ul>
I am not in favor of having to ask every time I want to install the game I paid money for.
I still have to log in to my Square-Enix account to get access to my saves anyway which requires a legitimate registration of the purchase.
[/list]

Freyar
15th Jan 2013, 21:38
[Contact Digital River Customer Service at CustomerServices@digitalriver.com (mailto:CustomerServices@digitalriver.com)]

Good luck with that. Digital River is known to screw customers over pretty badly. I've had a case of four games through these guys that have up and stopped working. I then had a DR rep give me a "replacement key" that didn't work after he failed to try and coerce me to pay for a second license, and follow ups never worked because the original key was no longer associated with my transaction.

member_10580445-297256
16th Jan 2013, 01:49
I email them still no reply :( square why not just use steam. No need to have all this BS just to play a game

Freyar
16th Jan 2013, 09:21
I email them still no reply :( square why not just use steam. No need to have all this BS just to play a game

It does take them time to respond, but..

I'm not eager to have to ask them every time I want to reinstall.

member_10580445-297256
16th Jan 2013, 12:35
Got this today

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix online store.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are unable to
assist you with technical support issues at the Square Enix online
store.

Please contact technical support at:

URL (chat also available at this URL):www.square-enix.com/na/support (http://www.square-enix.com/na/support)

Sincerely,
Lily M.
Square Enix online store
Customer Service</pre>

member_10580445-297256
16th Jan 2013, 17:45
I email SecuROM no help,digitalriver tells me to email square. square tells me to email digitalriver no help at all!!!

Freyar
16th Jan 2013, 22:29
Start including the messages from each side in your responses. IE: Send the response from SE's store support to Digital River and vice versa. Make sure you push on both of them telling both of them that they are both passing the buck to each other.

member_10193238
17th Jan 2013, 21:03
same thing

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix online store.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are unable to
assist you with technical support issues at the Square Enix online
store.

Please contact technical support at:

URL: www.square-enix.com/na/support (http://www.square-enix.com/na/support)

Sincerely,
Froilan V.
Square Enix online store
Customer Service
customerservices@digitalriver.com (mailto:customerservices@digitalriver.com)</pre>

SE-Chris
22nd Jan 2013, 19:55
You can revoke an activation manually even after uninstalling the game from your pc, as long as you have reinstalled the game since. Please follow the instructions below on the PC where you reinstalled Final Fantasy VII to revoke an activation manually:

Open the run box (Hold windows key+R together)
Type in the following: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\FF7_Launcher.exe" /revoke
Please note the quotation marks should be entered as shown here. If it's in a different installation folder, it should be altered to match that installation folder.
Follow revocation instructions on screen.

member_10580445-297256
22nd Jan 2013, 20:06
Nothing

I get "This appliction is not activated on your machine, the revocation can not be performed"

Freyar
23rd Jan 2013, 00:32
You can revoke an activation manually even after uninstalling the game from your pc, as long as you have reinstalled the game since. Please follow the instructions below on the PC where you reinstalled Final Fantasy VII to revoke an activation manually:

Open the run box (Hold windows key+R together)
Type in the following: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\FF7_Launcher.exe" /revoke
Please note the quotation marks should be entered as shown here. If it's in a different installation folder, it should be altered to match that installation folder.
Follow revocation instructions on screen.

In the case of mine, it was either activated on an existing machine twice, or was lost due to an OS reinstall. As there is no tool to manage activation remotely (similar to iTunes, or even Guild Wars 2's security authentication for IP addresses), I have NO idea how many activations I was given (making me guess), and what machines they SecuROM and Digital River were gracious enough to let me activate with. If I at least had the machine name, I could try and track it down, or report that the activation was "lost" due to an OS replacement, or hardware replacement.

I have three pieces of hardware I play on mainly. My home PC, my laptop, and my machine at work. Why is my desktop unable to activate? That is where I'm stuck.

Let me put it plainly. I shouldn't have to lose out on an activation because of maintenance on my PC.

member_10580445-297256
23rd Jan 2013, 00:34
OS reinstall over here

SE-Chris
23rd Jan 2013, 19:57
Regrettably, we are unable to add activations here from the forums. Indeed you would need to either /revoke the installation or get in contact with these companies which manage the installation verification to see if they offer any services for some of the more unique situations as it seems to be a restriction of the software. I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused all you guys. If all else fails perhaps Digital River could issue another set of activation codes that could be used for more installs if they can't simply increase the number of them.

member_10580445-297256
23rd Jan 2013, 20:11
i email Digital River a few times before no help at all from them

Freyar
24th Jan 2013, 05:23
Regrettably, we are unable to add activations here from the forums. Indeed you would need to either /revoke the installation or get in contact with these companies which manage the installation verification to see if they offer any services for some of the more unique situations as it seems to be a restriction of the software. I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused all you guys. If all else fails perhaps Digital River could issue another set of activation codes that could be used for more installs if they can't simply increase the number of them.

The playerbase needs to know who we are supposed to get a hold of. Square Enix support says Digital River is responsible, and Digital River says either they can't, or that Square Enix is responisble. (SecuROM is in the mix somewhere there, but.. eh.)

We need more definitive answers here. Who is supposed to deal with activation limits, and why are both sides passing the buck to each other?

MarceloGFSouza
27th Jan 2013, 19:56
I got the same problem here. I don't know why, but my activation is not being saved in the system registry, so every time I would play, he asked me to activate the game. that way I used all my activations in one day. I emailed SecuROOM, but they haven't answered me.

I don't know why there is this computer's authentication process. Everything would be easy just checking the login and password before opening the game.

godihateregsitering
8th Feb 2013, 16:52
The past hour has been an absolutely horrible, horrible experience.

Purchased Final Fantasy VII a month and a half ago, and hadn't gotten around to installing it. Finally did this afternoon - installation was quick, relatively painless - enter a serial number and proceed.

Oh, but you've got to be actively connected to the internet. Fair enough - don't usually susbcribe to that kind of DRM, but proceeded.

Oh, you have to register & login every time you want to play a game. Feels kinda like Square Enix is trying to stand on my goods here, but I'll proceed.

Clicked play. Nothing.
Clicked play. Nothing.
Clicked play. Nothing.
Clicked play. Nothing.

... resorted to Forums. They included a link to a DirectX update from 4 years ago, a recommendation to install Divx9 (if it were required... why wouldn't it be installed with the multi-gigabyte file?). Nothing worked. Executed the file from C:\Program Files (x86)\ ff7_en.exe and received the error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Googled that result, and it appears somebody was already on this forum, asking for help, a month ago. Unresolved.

I can't get a refund on a digital purchase, can I? My time isn't worth trying to try your inane tinkerings (Make sure Windows Updates are complete! Make sure there are no ... programs in Startup that ... interfere with our game?)

Maybe if more time were spent on compatibility than making sure people didn't pirate the games, you wouldn't risk pissing off paying customers as much.

I'll wait about a week for responses to this thread, and if there's nothing, I'll simply file a grievance with the credit card company and reverse the charge. Simply will not waste my time with any Square Enix products, and will advise others not to as well.

SE-Chris
8th Feb 2013, 20:05
I'd first like to apologize for any inconvenience that this whole mess has caused you. If you'd like to get some live help you can definitely give the Square Enix Support Center a call at 310-846-0345 (option 3) and they'll be able to help you troubleshoot the issue. Moving forwad, this type of issue is usually caused by the game trying to start and being unable to load properly. This is indeed why we would ask you to update the operating system and video card drivers via www.amd.com or www.nvidia.com. I assume that your system meets the minimum requirements, which can be found at the bottom of www.finalfantasyvii.com (http://www.finalfantasyvii.com) but please do double check. If you're unable to get the game running you can request a refund from Digital River by either selecting the contact link on www.digitalriver.com (http://www.digitalriver.com) or giving them a call at 1-800-598-7450 (Have your order number ready when you call as they will be asking for it). Again, you have our condolences for the problems here and we would like to get you into the game and off on a great quest as soon as possible.

Freyar
10th Feb 2013, 02:51
I'll wait about a week for responses to this thread, and if there's nothing, I'll simply file a grievance with the credit card company and reverse the charge. Simply will not waste my time with any Square Enix products, and will advise others not to as well.

I've been having trouble with their technical support for the past three weeks (almost four now). I'd not hold my breath on a solution.

member_10530765
19th Mar 2013, 18:37
This same exact thing happened to me. I can no longer play this game. I have talked to three different companies that are associated with this game, and I am getting nowhere. I hope to never see something like this again. Worst way to waste 10 bucks.

member_10239333
23rd Mar 2013, 17:02
Looks like FFVII is coming to steam so hopefully they give us a Steam key to solve this and more problems.

Arktera-436559
2nd Apr 2013, 21:21
After 3 months of my keys being stuck in limbo when I upgraded to windows 8. SE gave me a key when I contacted both tech support teams twice. Digital river Is terrible and I will never buy another game from them. I gave alot of feed back saying they should move to steam. I will be glad to pay another 10 bucks to never deal with Digital river again and support steam.

member_10609096
7th Apr 2013, 23:44
You're lucky. When I bought FF7, I never recieved a email from the store for my purchase...at all. I had to use the "purchase complete" page and email my code to myself so I wouldn't lose it. So I HAVE no link to even try to redownload the game onto (Bought it first day, it was a big problem back on that day that people didn't get emails from the store about their purchase). I would love a steam version, cause at least then I wouldn't have to worry about losing a game I've boughten 4 times over the last like decade.

member_10633721
8th Apr 2013, 18:50
I think this topic is much like other threads I could read on the forum but my practice is focused on formatting my PC. I plan to reformat my computer because I changed my processor and needed a new motherboard, which is why they lose all the information on my hard drive, including of course the data of FF VII.

My question is: How I can do to make your installation will then not count as a second activation? I read that just uninstall the game but there are many users who complain about having reached the activation limit that allows Digital River.

Other comments refers to a change in the Windows registry files but I do not remember as this process was done. I hope you can help me with this problem./tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

grantjoshuam
10th Apr 2013, 19:09
This has happened to me as well, but, silly me, seeing as how I bought the product, thought I had unlimited installs. I've been trying to get it squared away with SE, but as of yet, nothing has come of it. I would wait to reformat your pc. Also, make sure you've got your install files saved somewhere, either on a flash drive or burned to a cd, because I've seen tons of people not being able to find their install files.

grantjoshuam
10th Apr 2013, 19:13
I made the same mistake as you, Lucas. Silly us for thinking that we owned our product. I've been talking with SE support and I'm hoping to get this resolved. If it does, I'll post the results ASAP

grantjoshuam
10th Apr 2013, 19:30
The bottom line is that we paid for the software, therefore, as with any other software, we should be able to install it as many time as we see fit.

SE-Chris
16th Apr 2013, 14:20
We are sorry that you are encountering issues with Final Fantasy VII.

You can revoke an activation manually even after uninstalling the game from your PC, as long as you have reinstalled the game since.

Please follow the instructions below on the PC where you reinstalled Final Fantasy VII to
revoke an activation manually:

1. Open the run box (Hold windows key+R together)
2. Type in the following: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII
\FF7_Launcher.exe" /revoke
Please note the quotation marks should be entered as shown here. If it's in a different
installation folder, it should be altered to match that installation folder.
3. Follow revocation instructions on screen.

Alucard422-352199
30th Apr 2013, 22:30
When I entered my serial number it says that I have activated it on too many computers... Its the same computer, updated OS. Am I S.O.L? Any ways let me know if any one has a fix or if a tech mod runs around these forums that may help... Thanks

Roanger
30th Apr 2013, 23:49
im running into the same problem and the download link from the purchase says it expired after 60 days so im in the same boat please some mod or someone help out lol i needz my fix man

SE-Chris
1st May 2013, 12:11
Alucard422 &ndash; We apologize for the trouble you have been having with the activation on your computer. Since this may have to do with codes, we will need you to contact the SQUARE ENIX Support Center (http://support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=444&la=1).

SE-Chris
1st May 2013, 12:11
Roanger &ndash; The best way to get this download is to contact Digital River and let them know you need the download expiration extended.

- Please submit a report of your issue to Digital River Customer Service: CustomerServices@digitalriver.com (mailto:CustomerServices@digitalriver.com)

Bojang
23rd Jun 2013, 10:56
My game files just became corrupt & I have to reinstall the game (FF7). However, when going to findmyorder.com it says,

"Sorry,

It is too late to download this file. You were allowed to download within 60 days.

If you have any questions, please contact Digital River Customer Service at CustomerServices@digitalriver.com." (mailto:CustomerServices@digitalriver.com.\)

Why don't you use a service with no stupid download limit & make it easier on your employees AND customers experiencing problems with your products? Now I have to contact customer support for such a simple & easy to fix problem. Ugh...

grantjoshuam
23rd Jun 2013, 13:17
Since there's a reformat involved, Chris, the solution you've provided doesn't work as the files from the initial install will have been wiped during the reformat. NAN, hound them enough and they'll give you a new serial, they did for me.

MasakiMadder
1st Jul 2013, 12:51
*solved

MasakiMadder
1st Jul 2013, 12:58
*solved

MasakiMadder
1st Jul 2013, 13:02
*solved

member_10449592
2nd Jul 2013, 16:15
I currently have 3 computers *soon to be upgrading one of them, so it will be considered a "new" computer to the launcher*

If i already have the game installed on those 3 computers, and i upgrade my older computer, will this allow me to install the game on my "new" upgraded computer since it will technically be the FORTH computer to the installer?

Does this system mean that 3 computers can be online at the same time transferring saves to each other or that just 3 computers in general can have it installed *activated*

Thank you!

MarceloGFSouza
2nd Jul 2013, 16:25
This problem will only be solved to me on the day that Square Enix remove the software authentication. I already need to log in to play, why I need to registrate my PC to play? I am on my last activation and I am afraid to lose it and try to solve it with Square Enix and Digital River. Because of that, I am revoking my activation everytime that I stop playing to not take the risk of lose it and it's sux. Hope one day Square Enix will do a good job and fix this.

Grimoire
2nd Jul 2013, 19:27
This thread belongs in the [FINAL FANTASY VII PC Technical Issues and Support Forum (http://na.square-enix.com/go/forum/view/139347/236247/final_fantasy_vii_pc_technical_issues_and_support_forum)].

Iritar
4th Jul 2013, 01:44
So, I installed the game and didnt get an activation key. I have just now found it, but now the game is telling me that my trial has expired. It says "an activation is necessary prior further usage. Please click 'Next' to attempt an activation or click 'Exit' to abort." so basically, there is no Next button so i can attempt an activation, is there another way to enter my serial key so i can play the game i payed for??? please help

Iritar
4th Jul 2013, 03:12
This is the error box that I am recieving. imgur.com/0vmhgnc (http://imgur.com/0vmhgnc)

Freyar
4th Jul 2013, 06:49
I re-bought the game through Steam. Two-fingered salute to Digital River, now I'm on a platform that I can deal with.

Randomguy79
4th Jul 2013, 17:39
I'm not holding my breath on the issue of getting a steam key for this game but please remove the 30 day restriction on re downloading the game client. This is a perfect example of why steam is doing so well and why people pirate so many games. Stop punishing those that actually support your company and products.

Grimoire
4th Jul 2013, 19:24
[Notice Regarding 30 Day download Time Limit (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347/29922733/Notice_Regarding_30_Day_download_Time_Limit)]

MarceloGFSouza
4th Jul 2013, 23:16
I don't wanna spend money again for something that I already bought. SE should let us activate the game on Steam too.

SusanooEyes
5th Jul 2013, 02:42
I'm having a problem just like this, but I cannot re-download the product that I purchased. Way to go Square, give us a product that we cannot use if we swap computers or anything else after 30 days.

Grimoire
5th Jul 2013, 04:02
[Notice Regarding 30 Day download Time Limit] na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347/29922733/Notice_Regarding_30_Day_download_Time_Limit)

Randomguy79
5th Jul 2013, 12:42
...Yup, that's the form which informed me that due to owning the game a whoping 2 months that I can no longer DL the game I purchased. Was this supposed to be an actual response or are you just padding your posting stats? I'm going with the latter.

To be clear...That form does nothing but send an email which then generates an auto reply stating I can't download the game. Aka they tell me to go F myself because they already have my money.

wrussell1982
5th Jul 2013, 13:45
I had the same issue. If you call Square Enix and give them your order number/whatever else for FF7 they will give you a new product key to use.

Randomguy79
5th Jul 2013, 14:50
I called and was instructed that they do not handle distribution and I would have to call DigitalRiver to resolve the issue.

Freyar
6th Jul 2013, 16:33
[Notice Regarding 30 Day download Time Limit] na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347... (/go/thread/view/139347/29922733/Notice_Regarding_30_Day_download_Time_Limit)

Doesn't fix the activation issues.

emeraldpegasus
8th Jul 2013, 03:23
ggrrrrrr

MarceloGFSouza
9th Jul 2013, 00:16
Exactly. I think SE will never fix this issue. I have it for 6 months already. I feel it is a lack of respect for the customer.