PDA

View Full Version : Modes link for Clayman

theBlackman
28th Oct 2002, 16:32
http://forums.eidosgames.com/old-ubb/
posted 11-23-2000 07:58 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Mode Official Rules :
1.) Expert difficulty only

2.) No damage taken or received in the final stats. Damage from falls, machinery, lava etc. is allowed but frowned upon, as is the use of potions.

3.) No alerts of any AI are allowed. This includes undead, fire elementals, spiders, bots etc, all human and non-human encounters in the game. Rats are excluded due to their lack of reaction to Garrett. Watchers that go "yellow" bust the Ghost. Bots that freeze/pivot/search bust the Ghost. If a human grumbles, shifts in place and goes back to "relaxed", you are clean.

4.) No property damage allowed, no banners cut, no things burnt or destroyed. No broken glass.

5.) No loot cheats or walkthroughs allowed. A point of honor that cannot be enforced.

6.) Doors re-shut, torches re-lit, keys returned, etc. are are not necessary unless you just want to....or the condition requires it to avoid a bust.

7.) There is no time requirement, no Ironman type requirements etc., just finish the mission clean, damage free and alert free.

8.) No alerts means no distractions, noisemakers, artificial diversions that cause an AI to search for you, even if it is away from where you are. No Garrett/artifically induced suicides of AI or melees that intentionally cause AI to attack each other. No use of frog eggs allowed.

Amendment #1 : Any mission requirement that demands that the player break one of the rules above is OK to complete. For instance, like in Return to the Cathedral in Thief Dark/Gold, there is a requirement to kill all Haunts in the mission. As long as you do this without alerting other AI or breaking any other rule, it OK, have some fun...live a little. Same will apply to any similar situation in T2.

Amendment #2 - The techniques of "Banner Transmigration" and "Nudging" are grudgingly allowed under the Ghost rules.

Amendment #3 - The use of the "Banner Transmigration" and "Nudging" techniques, as well as the use of speed, inviso, and slowfall potions are considered last resorts and should be reported when posting results. Version/release of the game should also be reported since there are sometimes significant differences in gameplay between versions.

Perfect Thief Mode is defined as completing the above requirements and also obtaining the maximum loot for the particular mission.

RicknMel
28th Oct 2002, 18:08
I just realised...
Nowhere does it say "no killing".

It does say "no damage given", it does say "no inducing suicides", it does say "no inducings melee's"...but I don't think any of these apply to The Cistern.
:)

Sneak
28th Oct 2002, 18:34
Ricknmel,
You are right and something is wrong. Ghost has always been No KO's and No Kills! Something did not make it through the transition or something! :confused:

RicknMel
29th Oct 2002, 01:15
I think the "no killing" is supposed to be implied by the "no damage given" rule.

TRoosevelt_26
29th Oct 2002, 02:23
It might be best to emphasize this point by actually stating it in so many words, though.

clayman
29th Oct 2002, 02:34
Originally posted by TRoosevelt_26
It might be best to emphasize this point by actually stating it in so many words, though.

Oh, pipe down. I'm working on it already. Don't you taffers know the word patience ? ;)

Sneak
29th Oct 2002, 02:47
Patience: The ability to look calm and serene on the outside while inwardly an Earthquake with a force of 10 on the Richter Scale prevails! ;)

clayman
29th Oct 2002, 23:16
...still working, thinking and researching...

Question : Is there a situation in an OM or FM where Garrett frobs or uses something innocently, that later in the game is revealed to have caused damage, death or alert ? I'm asking for a severely delayed effect; I know immediately when I take down the force field in Undercover that the alarm is sounded. I am curious as to whether there is a several minutes gap in gameplay where it is later determined that this occurs and the player would say, "What in the heck caused that ?" Research(searching around, reading a scroll that explains, etc.) then determines that the much earlier act of opening a door, dousing a torch, frobbing a book, etc. caused the Ghost bust to occur.

Don't read too much into the question. But I am thinking hard about this.