PDA

View Full Version : TG Undercover - guard stuck on aleart

Zaccheus
27th Oct 2002, 22:01
This may be a silly question but ...

I'm playing Undercover (TG) where you pretend to be a hammerite and you walk past the guards without any fear of being seen.

I've knock out a few guards, but now there is this one guard who is calmly patroling on his route, but if I blackjack him he does not go down, if I flashbomb him he is not blinded, and when he sees me he just attacks me. All other guards seem to be behaving ok. I always thought that if an AI goes back on patrol, it means his aleartness is back to normal. But this guard seems stuck on high aleart.

Has the dark engine screwed up or do I just simply not know Thief well enough yet?

theBlackman
27th Oct 2002, 22:25
Have you accidentally changed the GAMESYS while you were playing around with Drom? :D

Zaccheus
27th Oct 2002, 22:38
No, don't worry.
;)

I left him alone for about 5 minutes, then caused a "must have been rats" aleart from him, after which I could knock him out.
:)

Strange.

Vanguard
28th Oct 2002, 05:32
After going on full alert, going back to their patrol doesn't mean they've gone back to a no-alert status. They remain sensitived for awhile thereafter even if they go back on alert. I believe the author can affect a setting or attribute that determines how long before the alerted AI go back to a completely unalerted status.

In fact, some AI never go back to their completely unalerted status. For example, zombies usually make no groaning noises as they are walking around. When 1st alerted or worse, they'll start making their groan noise. Even after settling back to a no-alert status, often they continue to groan.

"It TALKS!"
"Yeah. It's getting him to shut up that's the trick."
(For anyone that's watched Shrek.)

Zaccheus
28th Oct 2002, 12:55
Thanks, Vanguard. That explains it.

Hengist
28th Oct 2002, 13:32
Not sure if this is what you mean - but in undercover the hammers have a metaproperty on them so they don't attack. If the ai goes on any type of alert the metaproperty is removed and he will now attack on sight.

Zaccheus
28th Oct 2002, 13:51
Yes, of course. Is that the 'front gate guard' property?
Cool.

So even if he is back on normal aleartness, he will still attack me, because he is no longer a 'front gate guard' type of guy.

Yep, that makes sense, thanks.

I think I will tread a bit more carefully now.
:o

Vanguard
28th Oct 2002, 19:33
I don't know if this is a bug or deliberate design. As you go down the stairs after getting into the seminary, a conversation starts between 2 Hammerites discussing who is going to become their leader or superior. They then turn to walk through the door into the practice area and into the cemetery/garden area.

I'm supposedly secure while I have the novice scroll. However, one of these guards will alert if he sees me too soon. If I come down the stairs and he see me during the conversation, he attacks (which alerts the other Hammerites). If he walks into the practice area but comes right back out and spots me, he attacks. If he spots me on his first pass through the cemetery/garden and before he gets through the door to come back into the practice area, he attacks. However, at some point much later, he won't attack when he spots me. This one guard doesn't seem to recognize my incognito status as an authorized novice on the premises until sometime much after his conversation.

Zaccheus
28th Oct 2002, 20:20
Yes, that's the same one that attacked me!

Hengist
29th Oct 2002, 22:30
hmmmm... that sounds like a bug actually. I'll load this mission into drom and see if I can't figure it out.