PDA

View Full Version : Courier mission keeps failing

Nesspire
27th Oct 2002, 01:07
(difficulty: normal) After she crosses the Marketplace, the "courier" turns right, looping back toward where the mission started. I cannot follow her around the corner without the mission failing. Am I missing something? I've tried everything! Also, the readme file for this version (1.0) says not to patch the program. Could this be part of my problem and should I update with the patch?

Stile451
27th Oct 2002, 01:13
Don't follow her out of the marketplace. You need to do something else.

If you need more, highlight below.
She drops a letter in the marketplace, read it and wait

Welcome to the forum.

Huntress
27th Oct 2002, 06:03
Actually you need to do more than that Salvage...you also need to quickly open it and drop it back down where it was picked up and wait in the shadows to follow the new courier... :) The trick in this part of the mission is not to follow the person but to follow the letter and who carries it till you get to a certain destination where an event you will witness takes place. After that point, you then can take your time to take care of your other business. It is a time limit in the first part of following your targets...you can't really lose them for very long...or you die :D So even if you have to run a bit to keep up at times, just make sure you hang back enough and in shadow so when they stop to look behind they don't spot you either. Save often when you are successful at different points of this trailing...so if you do get busted or whatever, you won't have to restart from the beginning :) Ta and Good Hunting!

ps: In regard to your question about patching? Not sure what you mean here...version 1.0? If your version is 107 then you do need to patch to version 1.18 eventually. Since you started playing already...if you were to patch now, you would have to restart your whole game from the beginning...it doesn't know to pickup from where you left off...so will start you at the beginning again. However, if you want to do this you can as there were many fixes in the patch :) I played the unpatched version for a long time and the game played fine...it's just better if you do. Then later when you want to play FM's (Fan Missions) you'll need to patch it for most of them now anyway...so it's your choice as to when you want to do it :) It is a large patch as such...33 mgs, so you'll need to take some time to get it. Hope that helps you understand things a bit better regarding this question. :) Good Luck again!

theBlackman
27th Oct 2002, 09:46
Start the game and any mission. Hit Shift-Alt-V this will show the version ## on the screen. If it is Ver 1.07, then as Huntress says a patch will take out your saves.

If, however, it is Ver 1.18 then you have the updated version.

There is an exception to this. Check the box or the disc LABEL. If it says "PREMIERE" Edition then you have the UK and EU version. There is a new patch for this at:

http://www.sold-out.co.uk/soldout/support/thief2.html

You CANNOT use the EIDOS 1.18 patch (the regular one) to patch the PREMIERE Edition.

Stile451
27th Oct 2002, 14:09
Actually, your saves will only get reset to the beginning of the mission that they are in.

I had a problem with Courier when I first played it, it wouldn't allow me to read the letter, patching fixed that though.

Nesspire
28th Oct 2002, 04:47
Thanks, everybody, for all the help. I've finished the mission and moved on without any further problems. But when I check the version number it says just 1.0. After I finish the game I'll try some other things and see how it goes. I'm still learnin'. Thanks again.

theBlackman
28th Oct 2002, 04:58
Originally posted by Nesspire
Thanks, everybody, for all the help. I've finished the mission and moved on without any further problems. But when I check the version number it says just 1.0. After I finish the game I'll try some other things and see how it goes. I'm still learnin'. Thanks again.

It must be the Premiere Edition. I have never seen one but you can ask here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=83

You will need to register but it's another similar forum. Ask if anyone is using the "PREMIERE" edition of THIEF 2 and what is the version Number of the game they have.

The EIDOS USA THIEF is a different production, by a different agency.

The US versions are:

TDP 1.14
TDP 1.33
TGold 1.37
T2 TMA 1.07
T2 TMA 1.18

All these numbers show on the start screen (put in the disc and let autoplay start the game)

Or start the game from the desktop, start a mission, IE do the buyout and actually start a mission. Hit Shift-Alt-V and read the version ## that shows.

If you don't have one of the five (5) shown above then you probably have one of the UK or EU versions.

LeatherMan
28th Oct 2002, 05:23
Also, the readme file for this version (1.0) The Readme is version 1.0 (check for yourself). ;) The game is most likely 1.18 and is the final version.

Nesspire
28th Oct 2002, 20:56
Shift+Alt+V reads Final 1.18. Thanks. Now, who can e-mail me a kick to the head?

theBlackman
28th Oct 2002, 21:04
Shift+Alt+V reads Final 1.18. Thanks. Now, who can e-mail me a kick to the head?

Be VERY Suspicious of any E-mail for the next few days. :D :D