PDA

View Full Version : Fireshadow's Barrow

yubetcha
24th Oct 2002, 17:43
Did anyone get past the tunnel near the beginning? I got past the spider by killing it, and got into the cell. Got the jemmy bar, etc. and went back into the tunnel. I can't go back! Why do people make missions like this?! Do they lie awake at night trying to figure out ways to make it difficult? I'm stuck where the spider is. And from the posts I've read in forum searches, other people were stuck too. I also read that some got past this, and I would like to know how, because I sure can't. I've tried and tried and tried. And to make it even more frustrating, I keep getting stuck half way through that section of tunnel, and have to get a blow torch to free myself. And it hurts! LOL! I don't see how you guys got past the dead spider area going back. I guess I'm just not holding my mouth right. Anyway, I give up! It's not worth all of the attempts I have made. I have even taken a clue from someone else's post and stacked the stone chairs. Chairs or no chairs, I can't do it. I must've tried a hundred times. How did you do it? I also thought that there must be some other way, but I can't find any switches, and the jemmy bar doesn't work on the cell door.

Nightwalker
24th Oct 2002, 18:08
That's the only way to go, I'm afraid. I managed to get through that tunnel, but it's a tight squeeze. You have to rock back and forth and kind of wiggle your way through. It's too bad that it couldn't have been made just a little bit bigger so people wouldn't get so frustrated trying to get through. I don't blame you for giving up in this instance. You do need to keep in mind, though, that this was one of the contest missions, and so it was put together rather quickly and probably without any betatesting, so things like this are more likely to not get noticed by the creator.

Deadfall
24th Oct 2002, 18:08
I hope this doesn't frustrate you even more, but... this mission has been ghosted too. Peter Smith posted his report on this FM and it's in Part 3, Page 2 of the FM Ghost results page. I haven't played this FM myself though, so I cannot help you.

yubetcha
24th Oct 2002, 18:24
Nightwalker, is the rest of the mission worth trying again to get through it? Or should I just stop. I know it's a judgment call, but what's your opinion? And yeah, knowing that it was put together hastily helps a little. Thanks.
Deadfall, figures. Thanks a lot. LOL! :D

Nightwalker
24th Oct 2002, 20:09
It's got a few interesting things but it's a small mission and not worth a huge amount of frustration, in my opinion. If it's causing you a lot of problems, I'd just skip it and go on to something else.

yubetcha
24th Oct 2002, 20:33
Originally posted by Nightwalker
It's got a few interesting things but it's a small mission and not worth a huge amount of frustration, in my opinion. If it's causing you a lot of problems, I'd just skip it and go on to something else.

Thanks, Nightwalker. That answers my question, and that helps a lot. I think I've already spent too much time and energy trying to get through that tunnel :). I think I have even borrowed frustration from the next mission, so I had better pick an easy one :D

Nightwalker
24th Oct 2002, 21:26
Have you played Gummie's new one, The Cistern? It's terrific!

yubetcha
25th Oct 2002, 00:06
Yes, I have, and I like it. There's a discussion going on about ghosting it:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7675

Another one I just finished yesterday and like a lot is Brawling in the Tombs. Have you tried it? If you like to see AI fight each other as I do, this has a lot of that. :)

Nightwalker
25th Oct 2002, 00:24
I just finished it last night, actually and I had a great time playing it. JohnD's missions are getting bigger and better with every one. The first one, Quick Cash, was small and pretty simple. His next effort was a very nice, well laid out but still small underwater mission. Then he released Brawl and it's fantastic! My only problem with it was that it was too dark to play during the day, but it's scarier in a dark room anyway! :)

Lyril
25th Oct 2002, 07:56
I couldn't agree more! I stacked stone chairs, yelled a lot and swore more than I usually do. Eventually I got in. I think I did it by stacking so the height of the chairs matched the height of the tunnel, then crouching, leaning forward and jumping. It also depended on being at exactly the right angle.

It was really frustrating.

I had intended to try the overhead tunnel, but I didn't. It looked even harder.

Other than that bit, it's a good FM.

yubetcha
25th Oct 2002, 11:48
Originally posted by Lyril
I couldn't agree more! I stacked stone chairs, yelled a lot and swore more than I usually do. Eventually I got in. I think I did it by stacking so the height of the chairs matched the height of the tunnel, then crouching, leaning forward and jumping. It also depended on being at exactly the right angle.

It was really frustrating.

I had intended to try the overhead tunnel, but I didn't. It looked even harder.

Other than that bit, it's a good FM.

I also tried to get into the overhead tunnel, which added to my frustration :). I guess that should be the exit end, because I stacked those stone chairs, and still couldn't get in.

YcatX
30th Oct 2002, 22:59
I guess I need to play that one... I think my voice is in it...

Didn't Yametha make it?

Nightwalker
31st Oct 2002, 05:22
Yes, Yametha made it and it's quite interesting, but the tunnel can be more than a little frustrating to get through. If you can get through that bit, it's good. :)

Yametha
1st Nov 2002, 05:26
Sorry about that, I wanted to expand the tunnel, but if I expanded it any more it would open up a passage to the courier graveyard, and as it was supposed to be far away from it... do you see my problem?

The way out is through the overhead tunnel.

yubetcha
1st Nov 2002, 13:07
Yes, Yametha. I heard that Dromed can be a pain. I guess this is another example. I think I just may give it another try, since Nightwalker said it was a good one. Thanks for explaining. Stop by more often :). I'm just asking out of curiosity, but couldn't you make the jemmy bar so it was able to open the cell door? :)

Yametha
4th Nov 2002, 21:38
Originally I was going to do that, but then I thought about it. What was supposed to happen was the other thieves tried to open the door with it, but the door snapped back and flung the jemmy bar into the tomb. So, I thought it would be better if I left it.