PDA

View Full Version : Ghosting tricks

Danventry
22nd Oct 2002, 22:10
Okay, there are multiple DromEd "buggies" that ghosters/players take advantage of (I don't mean that in a bad way, coz I do it too). Lemme find a few examples: Banner Transmigration, Keyholeing (I don't know what this is I just heard about it), Nudging, Crate stacking (not really a bug or cheating, but not really meant to be played this way), my favorite that I plan to coin: "Window Snatching" (the lovely event where you can grab an item through another item, usually a window, and if it's been coined: tell me). Anyways, can everyone help me compile a list of these types of things? Anything that comes close helps! And if you can give a detailed description/ website of how it's done I'd be thankful even more! And 1 more question: Which banner is the one that's transmigrated through in the OM?
PS Why? That's for me to know, and you to not! (For a while!)

theBlackman
22nd Oct 2002, 22:25
Go to the FAQ list and read the posts on Ghosting, etc.

As far as the "window" if it is an open window or openable window, there is nothing new with leaning out (or in) a window and snatching an object.

An example of this is Interference: The key from the guard in the dining room that you "snatch" from the security of the dumbwaitor.

Keyholing, Transmigration and such refer to passing through a "solid" or physical surface. Much like a spirit is said to walk through a closed locked door.

Some inventive contortions allow G to squeeze through solid doors, banners, and walls.

You can also "frob" items through a banner, such as the switches for the secret passages in Casing, and Masks, as well as the jewel in Gilfords office in Shipping and Receiving.

Danventry
23rd Oct 2002, 00:43
Thanks, I was pretty sure it was known, just not named. I think we need to come up with a name for it because it takes a long time to say "I reached through the _[object]_" than "I _[word]_ the _[object]_". I'll just call it "snatching" for now (the frob through and object thing). So I know snatching. So keyholing is like Banner Transmigration? And what I call snatching is just transmigration of the hand (if you think about it that's all it is)? I've never understood cratestacking. Can someone explain that too? I can do snudging, I've done that before. Any other buggy tricks I'm missing? Isn't there one time where there was some sort of picking a lockbox through a door? And catching an AI on a crate?
PSI've looked briefly through the Ghosting Archives and didn't see anything immediately. I figured that if someone knew it already that they could just tell me without having to do my research. I'll take some more time to do it later.

Old Man
23rd Oct 2002, 01:52
Just off the top of my head.

Unlocking a door lockbox from the outside was done in TII S&R in the Perfect Thief run with Sneak, Peter Smith, and myself. The same one as the Banner Transmigration. Check the old Ghost/Perfect Thief Results thread(s). IIRC Sneak refers to it as "the invisible lock trick" in his report. This facilitated entry to the office with the safe in Mynell's without having to negotiate the spiders downstairs in the storage space.

Sneak used the AI caught on boxes in his "Train Wreck" in TII Kidnap. In essence two crates or boxes stacked one atop the other is enough to prevent an AI from passage. Spacing a couple of two-box stacks like this allowed Sneak to separate Cavador from his two bodyguards so he could be blackjacked and kidnapped without his guards' knowledge. Check the old Ghost/Perfect Thief Results thread(s).

I haven't tried it yet but at TTLG they've figured a method of eliminating damage from falls by droping things while falling and landing on them. Not too sure how this works.

In the original TDP game straffe-jumping (Bunny Hoping) was used for acceleration to gain above normal speeds. I recall hearing that you could get going fast enough to suicide running into a wall! I suspect this is now fixed. Dunno about TG. Straffe-running still works some in Thief II. I used it in Calendra's Legacy to get to the masks high up on the walls in the final scene.

If you haven't tried it, small spiders can be box-nudged. Placing a box on top of them makes them move away just like a human AI. I used this method to Ghost ... can't remember which mission ... it had the lost city in it anyway. Not quite as good control of the direction they move but still pretty good.

I Ghosted the fireshadow in TG Bonehoard by stacking golden bones and potion vials to bypass him. Same as crate/box stacking but with vials.

And then, of course, there's the Golden Child Ghost by Sneak in LotP. It only took eighteen hours. The Big Sleep. Clayman specifically required the Golden Child to be Ghosted in an earlier version of the rules.

If I think of any more I'll add them to this thread.

Danventry
23rd Oct 2002, 02:27
Lemme get this right: You used potions and bones as a temporary stairway? Sounds cool! Anyways, here's my list:

Nudging
Banner Transmigration
Keyholing
Snatching
Crate Catching
Crate Stacking
Invisible Lock Trick
Blocking

I'm going to start with this. Anyhow, I'll look everything up, thanks everyone!

TRoosevelt_26
23rd Oct 2002, 13:46
Originally posted by Old Man
In the original TDP game straffe-jumping (Bunny Hoping) was used for acceleration to gain above normal speeds. I recall hearing that you could get going fast enough to suicide running into a wall! I suspect this is now fixed. Dunno about TG. Straffe-running still works some in Thief II. I used it in Calendra's Legacy to get to the masks high up on the walls in the final scene.

Yes, double-jumping still works in TG:TDP. It's just in T2 that it was severely toned down.

TRoosevelt_26
25th Feb 2003, 22:04
Also, if you crouch before falling a short distance down onto the floor (say, from a table or a window, etc.), the noise you make is severely cut down, even (often) on surfaces such as metal, tile and gravel.

Schwaa2
26th Feb 2003, 00:18
I've also noticed that on big drops you take quite a bit less damage if you crouch before you drop.

Chiefdreams
26th Feb 2003, 03:53
Iv'e also fallen great distances by sliding or hugging the wall on the way down.

Though I once did this and got wedged between to walls and the death scream was an echo