PDA

View Full Version : Games for console or PC, which are better?

Rapid
21st Oct 2002, 16:13
Tekfest's note about Socom US Navy Seals reminds me to ask about this. Like I suppose a lot of people, I got into games for the PC because I already had a PC I was using for other things. Now I'm hooked, and I'm running with the rest of you on that expensive treadmill of upgrading to stay current with new releases.

If gaming is the main thing you use your PC for anyway (it is for me), wouldn't it be better to just go with PS2 or XBox? Since the hardware is so much cheaper, wouldn't that allow us to have the same gaming fun without all the upgrading? Seems you could just buy a new console for $300 or $400 every few years and you'd be set. Yes/no? Or maybe consoles are better only at certain types of games, e.g. FPS whereas PCs are better at RTS (my favorite -- like Commandos)?

Would appreciate any thoughts from people who game on both platforms, thanks!

tek956st
21st Oct 2002, 21:37
It's TEK952ST!!!! Yea, but that's true...I own a computer and a console and I enjoy mah console, just like I enjoy my pc. It's jut some games are better for either or....and now very few games are better for both. Like commandos...I would say is only a pc game(period) but some people see it otherwise. I guess it would just depend on the game. But does'nt matter which one you own there's always be upgrading, like in 2005 they say ps3 will be out...So tell me what next

tek956st
21st Oct 2002, 21:38
Sorry tek956st....the other one is my screenname

Longshot
21st Oct 2002, 22:06
Well the PS2 is getting a little out dated I think, and I 'm sure since the X-Box has much more powerfull components in it, Sony will soon release a PS3...maybe...then Nintendo will have to try and out do that (espically since the game cube sucks), then Microsoft will come out with a new console, etc.

It's the same ol' the cycle over and over.

On a side note, when I bought Conflict: Desert Storm, the cashier said to me "This game looks like Socom, but with better graphics" :D

Rapid
22nd Oct 2002, 20:55
Longshot how do you rate Desert Storm? It looks good.

Longshot
22nd Oct 2002, 21:42
I like it. I'm on my 3rd time through it.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is the respawning enemies, which I don't care for, but the respawning enemies isn't in every mission and when it is there is usually 1 or 2 sets of them...Didn't like that about MOHAA and don't like it in C: DS, but other than that it's really good.

BTW I haven't noticed any bugs or have any crashes

1shot1kill
22nd Oct 2002, 23:16
I used to have a console and a pc at the same time, but now i stick to the pc, a console is outdated after 5 years and you need to buya new one, a pc can always be upgraded and the games look much better and are cheaper.

tek956st
23rd Oct 2002, 03:56
Coputer games are chea[er??!!?! where?!?!? it depends on the game...Lke when moh:aa first came out it was $52.00 at Electronics boutique, and most Ps2 games are about that or somewhat around there. The better thing about console games though is the prices drop faster and quicker(Depending on the game of course) where with pc games it takes about a year or so.
I personally enjoy both...pc for RTS games and my console for other games like adventure, horror-gore games, action, and sports. Yes the Xnox maybe faster and somewhat stronger...but microsoft is nw to the console era, as with nintendo has been in the industry since the 1980's and playstation from the mid 1990's. These are all veteran companies going against a new competitor to the field...yes the xbox is doing good, but for how long? As if we remember sega....they lsted for years until they finlly realized they could'nt compete and hung up their belt. Which I saw it and truly believed it was inevitable. So I truly cold not choose between either or, because I simply like both. But as with the new ps3 due out in 2005...from which they''ve started production on it 1 yr. and a 1/2 ago...is truly gonna evolve gaming history...Sony is working with toshiba and ibm to make a all new gaming console running off of cells. They say if all goes right...then this new console will rival most pentium 4 computer processors. I for one can't wait, and will like to see how it will go and surely believe sony can pull it off.

Thorup
23rd Oct 2002, 07:55
WHat the hell are you talking about Longshot?? Gamecube does not suck. it is way better than ps2. but not better than xbox.

GC is 33% more powerfull. The controllers of ps2 sucks, and the game cube controllers are the best out of all three consoles.

and it is mostly sony who want to make a better console than nintendo, first n had super nintendo, then sony built ps, then n64 came out and then they built ps2...and so on

Xcom
23rd Oct 2002, 11:01
Originally posted by tek956st
As if we remember sega....they lsted for years until they finlly realized they could'nt compete and hung up their belt.

Microsoft isn't Sega. Duh. They have more money. :D
Anyway, I don't like consoles and I ain't planning on buying one (Unless I am absolutely forced to. If, for example, devs stop making games for pc's completely).

I don't like Sony for their arrogant attitude.

I don't like Microsoft because..well, it's Microsoft. :D

I don't like Nintendo because of their games. 300 Mario clones, 100 Donkey Kongs, Pokemons. Bleah. Not for me. They have a dozen of good games/series but their mainstream sucks, IMO.

The most nice console was Sega's Dreamcast, IMO. But it's dead now. Oh well.

Longshot
23rd Oct 2002, 12:04
Originally posted by Thorup
WHat the hell are you talking about Longshot?? Gamecube does not suck. it is way better than ps2. but not better than xbox.

Sorry I didn't mean the the GC sucked I ment that the games for it suck. Nintendo has always made games for children, so their not gonna be my cup of tea...but compared to the XBox I guess the CB does suck, considering the it's a lot more powerful.

1shot1kill
23rd Oct 2002, 15:18
The GC is getting is aiming for adults a bit more now nintendo has stated, if i would have to choose 1 i would choose the GC because i never had any bad experiences with games on the nintendo consoles, on the N64 there were already loads of games that were suited for adults too or adults only, games like Zelda, WWF Warzonem the starwars games & Goldeneye 007 would suit both and games like Turok (1. 2 & 3) % Body Harvest (not so famous, but killing a million green bug like aliens being able to appear anywhere around you should be pretty scary for kids) would not be suited for kids, there were more games like those but i just mentioned the ones i remember playing on the n64.

tek956st
24th Oct 2002, 00:16
My setiments...exactyl nintendo was fun up until nintendo 64. An now they just concentrate on pleasing children 15 and under. That's why most gamers our ages turn to pc and playstation...I'm not saying xbox sucks nor the gamecube, but I am saying that through out history majority of gaming consoles have started good and died in the early stages. Comeon how many consloes have there been in history that has actually survived.....lets see remember turbo graphix 16, sega saturn, the jaguar and the list goes on....So far playstation as done well for it's self...Yes they ,aybe cocky but so far they've backed it up. And now if you look most people nowadays either own a ps2 or just a pc if not all three.

Thorup
24th Oct 2002, 06:44
I have tried all the games you mentioned 1shot fr 64. and I completely agree with you, it is just the mario games for kids, and there is so much more games. perfect dark for example is a very good game with 18 age limit(that means I can't play it)

and the game production for GC has not started yet, just wait and see

1shot1kill
24th Oct 2002, 11:45
My setiments...exactyl nintendo was fun up until nintendo 64. An now they just concentrate on pleasing children 15 and under. That's why most gamers our ages turn to pc and playstation...I'm not saying xbox sucks nor the gamecube, but I am saying that through out history majority of gaming consoles have started good and died in the early stages. Comeon how many consloes have there been in history that has actually survived.....lets see remember turbo graphix 16, sega saturn, the jaguar and the list goes on....So far playstation as done well for it's self...Yes they ,aybe cocky but so far they've backed it up. And now if you look most people nowadays either own a ps2 or just a pc if not all three.

Eh?????? I have experienced the opposite, the NES and SNES were aimed at kids while now the N64 and gamecube are becoming more and more aimed at adults too seeing what games there are released on them that nintendo would never allow before.

And Thorup yesterday i saw a full wall with like 30 or 40 different GC games at a local store so i think the game production is at 100% now.

ragsy
25th Oct 2002, 05:55
I've heard the Game Cube referred to many times as the Lame Cube, this may explain why they are now relising the game market is much bigger than just kids and Mario

So I didn't even consider it when I bought my PS2

but I rarely use the console cause the PC seems so much better (except for GTA3 which converted me for a while)

Thorup
25th Oct 2002, 08:23
and that playstation is often refered as the gay station:p

anyway to me the controllers and graphics count a lot, and therefore I buy Game Cube

1shot1kill
25th Oct 2002, 14:24
Yeah every console got 'nicknames'. The gamecube still got the best graphics and the best controller of them all. I'm not sure about the processing power.

Xcom
25th Oct 2002, 15:02
Originally posted by 1shot1kill
The gamecube still got the best graphics!

And you are basing this on what? If it's personal preference, I am okay with that. But technically Xbox is superior to them all. It has bigger/faster everything (cpu speed, gfx quality, poly per sec., harddisk, memory, etc). See for yourself. (http://computers.sympatico.ca/viewz/guides/consoleguide6.html)

tek956st
26th Oct 2002, 04:27
to tell you the truth....I don't believe nintendo is going anywhere nor sony, but as for the xbox.....only time will tell if it has longevity. If you're gonna gamble on a game do it on 1 u know for sure that can hold up..for example the gc or ps2 not the xbox what do we really know about microsoft.they may dominate the pc era, but now they're in new territory..one that they'e not familiar with and maynot have what it takes to compete

Longshot
26th Oct 2002, 06:38
Haven't we all had enough conversations about which game console is the best on out there? I know we talk about this before in another thread, and it's just the same old stuff. Either way all consoles suck compared to a high end pc.

1shot1kill
26th Oct 2002, 13:49
Originally posted by Xcom

And you are basing this on what? If it's personal preference, I am okay with that. But technically Xbox is superior to them all. It has bigger/faster everything (cpu speed, gfx quality, poly per sec., harddisk, memory, etc). See for yourself. (http://computers.sympatico.ca/viewz/guides/consoleguide6.html)

If that is so why does the X-box sell the least of the 3? Microsoft had expected to have sold 3 times the ammount of X-boxes by now. Now if you compare a Gamecube to an X-box you will see that the Graphics on the Gamecube are definatly much smoother and look much nicer.

Yakkalot
26th Oct 2002, 14:06
Actually GC sells worst of the three by a large margin. A large portion of the PS2's sucesscan be attributed to two factors, one it has been out for a year longer than the Xbox - an eternity in software time, and two, the ability to use both new PS2 games and older PS1 games. Lord knows the number of times i've been in EB and overheard people arguing the pro's and cons over which to buy and often the ability to play their existing games as well as the new ones is the deciding factor. And also, the vast majority of new games are released on both platforms (Xb & PS2) so the decision is a no brainer for many.

That said, the Xbox is still a far superior platform...

1shot1kill
27th Oct 2002, 15:16
Considering the time every console has been out the x-box sold the least, 2 months ago i read that they compared the offical sales numbers of the x-box with the expected number that microsoft had said to expect before and they nearly reached 50% of that, now the gamecube has been selling like candy since it's release.

Thorup
28th Oct 2002, 07:48
The japs have more experience than Gates in making consoles

1shot1kill
28th Oct 2002, 14:35
They got more experience than sony too.

Xcom
28th Oct 2002, 14:41
Who cares about their experience. You just can't like a company that invented Pokemons. It's just unnatural and inhumane. :D

1shot1kill
28th Oct 2002, 15:00
With their experience you know you get alot of good games, they also got sega making games for them now, the 2 biggest console producers of the early 90ties combined, need i say more?

Thorup
29th Oct 2002, 07:49
I fully support yo here 1shot:) Nintendo rules!

and pokemon is ingeneus. squizing money out of inocent children muhahahaha

1shot1kill
29th Oct 2002, 14:08
Actually... out of innocent parents. :p

4Eyes
29th Oct 2002, 14:56
To be really precise...Nintendo didn't INVENT Pokemon, they just published it. Game Freak developed the games.

And it's not just Sega working with Nintendo now, don't forget Capcom with the Resident Evil series, even though 2 and 3 are just ports.

So I'm a Nintendo fan AND I like Pokemon...go sue me!

Xcom
29th Oct 2002, 15:36
Originally posted by 4Eyes
I like Pokemon

Then you are probably too young to play Commandos. Watcha doing here? :D

[j/k]

tek956st
6th Nov 2002, 05:05
all of you guys who wann dogg sony now I have proof that they are the true console for all to enjoy.....reap the proof.

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/financial/games/news/26801.shtml

:D

Thorup
6th Nov 2002, 08:56
Why don't you just give up. ps2 is the worst console among the three

1shot1kill
6th Nov 2002, 15:51
Actually it's a matter of opinion. I saw a test by peopl who work for a game magazine on tv and they tested all 3 consoles, they all had their strong adn their weak points. IE, Gamecube best controller and graphics, x-box a bit faster than the other 2, sorry don't remember what they said was so good about the PS2... :D

tek956st
6th Nov 2002, 21:02
Heathens! Heathens! I say...How dare you not give ps2 the credit they deserve. I gave u all proof and u still have yet believe. Truly i say u all shall burn in a pit and the worms shall feast on your insides..:D

Thorup
7th Nov 2002, 07:49
weirdo:rolleyes:

1shot1kill
7th Nov 2002, 15:24
Heathens! Heathens! I say...How dare you not give ps2 the credit they deserve. I gave u all proof and u still have yet believe. Truly i say u all shall burn in a pit and the worms shall feast on your insides..:D

Time for your medicine i would say.....

tek956st
8th Nov 2002, 08:16
yea, whatever.......:rolleyes:

Twitch
15th Nov 2002, 15:58
Eidos is one of the few companies that has seen fit to produce their games in several formats. This is good marketing since it gets wide distribution equalling $$$. Every game could be done this way.

Thorup
18th Nov 2002, 10:48
has eidos produced any games for Game Cube?

Mike_B
18th Nov 2002, 16:26
Timesplitters 2, Hitman 2 (not out yet); Blood Omen 2 and probably more.