PDA

View Full Version : I can't get the game to run for long :(

KayleeChen
17th Oct 2002, 17:18
First of all, i _love_ Hitman 2. Trying to be a silent assassin is just so much fun, but every once in a while I like to kick ass Lara Croft style and just break out the ballers. What a great game!

Now the problem is... I can't get the game to run solidly. It will crash eventually, no matter what I do. I have played about 10 missions in the game. When it does crash, it just goes straight to desktop without a hitch. I've found that if I reboot my computer, it will go longer before crashing than if I just try to re-load Hitman 2. The levels where it's most obvious are the outdoor ones, like Hidden Valley (not the ranch salad dressing, just the level). Hidden Valley crashes after about a minute or so (making it pretty impossible for me to solve it).

My computer looks like this:
* Athlon XP 1800, 56GB HD (around 15GB free on Hitman drive)
* ATI Radeon 8500
* 896MB of RAM
* Windows XP
* SB Audigy Gamer

So far, I've tried the following:
* disabling Hardware Accelleration in DXDiag
* disabling AGP Texturing Acceleration in DXDiag
* turning weather effects off
* turning draw distance down
* adding EAXDisable=1 to the ini
* playing with graphic options (like filtering, dx texture compression, etc)
* updating my SBLive DRivers
* updating my ATI8500 Drivers
* updating my motherboard drivers
* installing the newest VIA 4-in-1 driver
* re-installing DirectX 8.1
* ritualistically dancing around my computer

If I shut AGP Texturing Accelleration off, turn off the weather effects, turn down the draw distance, and make sure EAX sound is disabled, it will last _longer_ before crashing, but it still will crash. But then again, I don't _want_ to play this game without those options on. Hidden valley + snow = amazingly difficult. Hidden valley - snow effects = crap.

Anyway, if any of you can help me out, that would be fantastic. Also, Eidos, if you're listening... if the game crashes to desktop without so much as an error message, that doesn't really help anyone!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kaylee Chen
kayleechen@hotmail.com

Catman
17th Oct 2002, 18:45
First, this is an excellent example of how to ask for help -- no doubts about what you have and haven't tried.

Second, I'm not sure IO is responsible for generating error messages -- that seems more an OS issue.

Third, you may want to check what XP has running in the background. There's an article in the November issue of CGW about reconfiguring XP to kill some of the useless background processes that start up by default. PC Magazine also had a recent feature on tweaking Windows with multiple tips on XP (you can find that article online at www.pcmag.com -- CGW won't have the article online for a while).

KayleeChen
17th Oct 2002, 18:59
Hi,

Thanks, Catman.

I tried your suggestions (I did a Google search for unnecessary XP services and then followed their instructions... there are some very good descriptions of all those cryptic things out there!), but no luck so far. It still crashes intermittently during gameplay. I also Ctrl-Alt-Del'ed and removed pretty much any system process that looked superfluous. Still no dice.

I'm thinking of putting ME back on my system, but i like XP so much. I've even got the Start Menu icon to be a kicking karate girl, which is almost autobiographical! Please don't make me lose that! :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if there's just a way I can install ME to try load Hitman2, but I guess I'll work on that later.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how they got their Hitman 2 to stop crashing to desktop, please let me know... I'm dying to keep playing this game.

Thanks
Kaylee Chen
kayleechen@hotmail.com