PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Dsl

Apache
16th Oct 2002, 14:04
Just letting everyone that shorty the website for the Taffer's Album will be moving to my new site, along with I will be getting a new email address.
The reason for this is that I am cancelling my cable internet access and going with DSL. It's alittle slower speeds but I am hoping that I won't be having the PING and slowdowns I have with cable. Also I get a cool webcam, cordless keyboard and mouse..:D
I'll be sending out email to everyone in my address book when the change takes place along with the new URL for the Taffer's Album.
Thanx for your the time and reading this.

Huntress
16th Oct 2002, 21:34
10-4 Apadewche :) Ta and Good Hunting!

Peter_Smith
17th Oct 2002, 04:26
I'm not so sure DSL is necessarily slower. It depends on a lot of things. My DSL is rated at 1500 Mbps (that's bits) download. I get about 1300 connected to a good site. Cable may be rated higher in come cases, but it depends on sharing bandwidth with others on the same line, so actual results can vary. My actual cable was 200-500, as I recall

Here's a tip. Get a router with your DSL and hook it up after it is running. It allows connection sharing invisible to the ISP, but it is worthwhile even if you are the only user. Without a router, you have to dial each time you want to connect (at least once after each bootup). With the router, the router does the dialing and keeps the connection always on. Also, it is much more secure because the outside world cannot hack the router, and they cannot see your PC's IP address. I have a Linksys Etherfast Cable / DSL router with four port switch.

Hawklette
17th Oct 2002, 05:36
Don't forget me and any changes to your ICQ. :D

Thorin Oakenshield
17th Oct 2002, 18:47
Hey Apache, I've just bought ADSL today:D I have to wait upto 10 working days though for my line to be activated. My email stays the same and my website

Until then I'll put up with my 56k'er:rolleyes:

Thorin Oakenshield
22nd Oct 2002, 17:47
I'm finally connected to adsl:D :D :D