PDA

View Full Version : Why release such a buggy game?? where is the patch??

doktersteve
13th Oct 2002, 23:54
I just wonder why Eidos would release such a buggy game. Didn't they do controlled testing on a number of different systems? there was a beta test that was released to the public, and the same problems that people are complaining about here were present in the demo...

is there a patch coming? when is it due? any information would be great.

Zaphod
14th Oct 2002, 01:29
I would guess a patch will be coming (I can't remember the last game released by any publisher that didn't have at least 1 patch), but I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else? Also, remember, the game has only been out for a week. They'll need some time to put together the patch.

What specific bugs are you experiencing?

SkullHeadFace
14th Oct 2002, 14:25
Apparently, no one can play this game (aside from the designers, with their super-computers). I haven't talked to one person who has gotten this thing to run more than 5 - 10 minutes. No error message just boots you out to the desktop. I have tried doing your sound issue fix, but that didn't do anything. Please, please, please, encourage someone down there to get a patch out, or tell me where I can mail my copy to get a refund.

THANKS

Catman
14th Oct 2002, 14:30
As Zaphod said, what specific problems are you experiencing? When and where does the crashing occur? Without detailed information, the designers cannot even begin to reproduce the errors (let alone develop a patch).

As for running with a supercomputer: I'm using an old Dell with a PIII 600 chip, a GeForce 3 card, and an old Creative Labs sound card -- and the game runs with no problems.

Zaphod
14th Oct 2002, 14:44
Yeah, what Catman said. I actually found myself wishing for some errors to crop up, so I could help out the members here... but my older, slightly upgraded machine (P3 600mhz, 384meg RAM, 128meg GeForce4Ti, Soundblaster Live! Basic audio) has run the game perfectly for at least 20 gaming hours. Interestingly, I haven't seen as many people getting error messages at the other forums (HitmanHQ, HitmanForum, Hitman2Forum) as I have here. I don't know if that's just cause I'm not looking as hard, or what. It also might be that these are the Official Eidos boards (the game's publisher), so people are (not unwisely) hoping to find a more Official level of techincal support here. Unfortunately, these boards are not the same as Eidos QA or tech support. And I'm sorry for any misunderstanding in that area.

The main issues I've heard so far are:
Soundblaster Audigy cards might cause things to go screwy. Pity, because they're the most recent and best SB cards. I hate when new hardware messes things up - kinda screws up the point of upgrading. Won't install correctly. No ideas on this one. At all. Nvidia cards causing crashes. I've heard two contradictory things about this: Apparently the penultimate (1 removed from the most recent) version of the Nvidia driver set will fix this issue, although I've also been told that Nvidia already had talked with IOI (among other designers) before releasing their most-brand-spanking-new driver set, and that should fix everything, as well. I have no idea at this time what the best course of action is. Random crashing to desktop - the minimum specs on this game include 128 megs of RAM. If you have less than that, this might explain some of the crashing - the Glacier engine is a pretty resource-hogging thing.That's all I know so far. I feel really bad for all the people who are having problems with the game. Hopefully fixes, new drivers, workarounds, and patches will come soon and solve the known issues.

Davester2k
14th Oct 2002, 17:18
i can play this for hours with no problem. I have had only one crash so far, and it was random. No biggie, i guess. It was weird though.

I do have two weird problems. One is these weird lines on the character models, its some kind of graphical glitch. The lines come from limbs like arms and stuff. I tried turning my options to lowest but it didnt help.

the other problem is sometimes (but not always) the speech messes up and its just a weird sound, as if the speech got stuck on one word for a second. Maybe its my sound options. Unlike the rest of my computer, i have a bad sound card. Any help? i have the voices option set to 64 people maybe ill lower it to 3. it doesnt sound different anyway but i havent heard speech yet.

either way the dont hurt gameplay. :D

Zaphod
14th Oct 2002, 17:25
Lower the # of voices to at least the default setting (what was it, 16? Something like that). I've played through 8 missions so far, and I've never heard any more than 7 people talking at once. And they only way that happened was by running through a crowd of 5 ninjas with 2 more in tow who were already chasing me. I don't know if lowering the total # of voices will help your problem, but it might not be a bad place to start.

hitman48
15th Oct 2002, 00:13
I've been experiencing what I think is a bug with the sound. Every now and then, every sound will start echoing, somewhat like I'm in a cavern.