PDA

View Full Version : Saving Private Ryan (Invasion)

PJROCK
13th Oct 2002, 22:29
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to beat the oncoming invasion? I've tried several ways and they continue to defeat me. Also, there are four tanks that need to be destroyed, but Inferno only has one tank bomb and one remote
bomb. So I'm able to only blow-up two tanks. Is there any other way to destroy tanks. I figured, I was not the only one to have these problem, so I researched the past archives for any past threads that may answer my questions, but did not find any threads that fit my specific problems.

In advance, I appreciate the help.

Regards,
PJROCK

ragsy
13th Oct 2002, 23:30
your bazooka men can blow up tanks

but if you don't want to worry about tanks at all

use the sapper to mine sweep the area where the blown up half track is between it and the trees

there you will find two more anti tank mines

Other wise just position all your men facing the entrances to the small village and you should be fine

there are also lots of anti personel mines along the water edge, to help reduce the load on your allies and commandos

Twitch
14th Oct 2002, 16:22
Seems to work better if you pull all but 1 or two Allied soldiers back into the house where Duke was and make a stand there. Cover the and they'll drop anyone that comes in. Duke can pop off a lot of guys from upstairs and the mine do most of the rest. Inferno can go outside and use the bazooka on any tank that crosses the bridge once the number of bad guys running around is reduced

Yakkalot
15th Oct 2002, 02:07
Well my solution was different again! :)

I have two riflemen and the allied bazooka guy flush against the river facing wall of the church, one rifleman covering laft the other right, and the bazooka guy aimed at the road.

Put Duke in the window of the building he was in in the loft window covring them, and the sapper in the one next o him, bazooka at the ready aimed at the road.

Now to make sure no grenadiers lob their waes into the window, simply stick one rifleman at the base, on the corner of the wall along the river bank to take out any germans that come running around there (he'll have an impressive body pile at the end ;))

now the most important part is the AT obsticles, place the bomb where the first tank will roll through in the north/middle sector of the map, the AT mine at the edge of the map along the road on the left side of the bridge to take out the second tank and then the other AT mine (the second AT mine is near the wrecked Wespe by the river bank) and place it on the north side of the church, that way, there is only one tank left to worry about.

As for the men, have the allies make a porcupine like formation just outside the building duke and co are in, you might have to fine tune it to keep away snipers, that way they over the stairs, the bridge and the approches to the house.

Inide have the commandos mount a defensive with MP40's and KAR's ...

Make liberal use of landmines as well :)

ragsy
16th Oct 2002, 02:58
Originally posted by Yakkalot
now the most important part is the AT obsticles, place the bomb where the first tank will roll through in the north/middle sector of the map, the AT mine at the edge of the map along the road on the left side of the bridge to take out the second tank and then the other AT mine (the second AT mine is near the wrecked Wespe by the river bank) and place it on the north side of the church, that way, there is only one tank left to worry about.

There is actually two AT mines near the Wespe
Plus the one on the worker in the sappers house with the detector

2+1+remote bomb= 4 which means no tanks to worry about at all

:D :D :D

1shot1kill
16th Oct 2002, 07:47
You van also use the anti-tank mines and explosives to take out infantry and use the bazooka for the tanks.

Thorup
17th Oct 2002, 10:22
anti-tank mines against infantry?????:confused:

Twitch
17th Oct 2002, 15:23
Yeah the AT mine is not sensitive enough for infanrty to set it off. at least I've never seen anyone that walks over it go boom.

Mike_B
17th Oct 2002, 16:37
If you shoot on it, it will go off.

Thorup
17th Oct 2002, 21:27
but then you have to worry about that while shooting at the tanks with the bazooka:(

ragsy
18th Oct 2002, 01:00
the bazooka is pretty cool but I don't think it can be used with X

So good for action, but no good if you want to set and forget your men

1shot1kill
18th Oct 2002, 13:49
You can set the bazooka with X, the problem is that when there is infantry around the tank the bazooka guy rather shoot them with his pistol first before he uses his bazooka on the tank so it is best to make sure no infantry is around the tank. And yes the AT mines will explode when you shoot at them and are good for taking out a small group of infantry.

Thorup
19th Oct 2002, 13:06
Originally posted by 1shot1kill
And yes the AT mines will explode when you shoot at them and are good for taking out a small group of infantry.

sure....but I think I'll stick to grenades:D

1shot1kill
19th Oct 2002, 18:58
Cant throw grenades at a group of enemies that are half the map away from you.

Thorup
19th Oct 2002, 20:02
well guns can't shot that range at the mines either:mad:

1shot1kill
20th Oct 2002, 15:13
The sniper rifle can.

Thorup
20th Oct 2002, 18:55
but what if you don't like wasting the sniper on such stuff which can be done with grenades, and instead place him in the window of the house on the other side of the bridge:)

iakovos
21st Oct 2002, 09:08
The best idea is to use both the sniper and the sapper in the windows facing the bridge, one in sniper mode, the other in bazooka mode and switch between them by using the shortcut keys. Have all the rest inside the house directed at the door and noone will survive coming in.

Iakovos :)

1shot1kill
21st Oct 2002, 13:01
Originally posted by Thorup
but what if you don't like wasting the sniper on such stuff which can be done with grenades, and instead place him in the window of the house on the other side of the bridge:)

How is using 1 sniper bullet on killing 6/7 germans wasting it? I place the sniper on the town side of the bridge and the mine on the other side where the sniper can hit the mine.

Thorup
22nd Oct 2002, 09:14
it is wasting if it is just as good to use the rifle

1shot1kill
22nd Oct 2002, 23:05
I use a bullet that would otherwise kill 1 enemy to kill 6 or 7 instead, that is in no way wasting a bullet and it kills them 6 or 7 times as fast as when i would snipe them 1 by 1.

Thorup
23rd Oct 2002, 07:58
I anyway need those mines for the tanks coming, and then use the bazooka left over ammo to kill infantry

ziili
27th Oct 2002, 21:14
and the mission title is "Saving Private Smith" not Ryan..;)

ragsy
28th Oct 2002, 03:26
OMG this whole time I thought we were talking about the film

Chimo
3rd Nov 2002, 22:53
How can I lunch the invasion? I collected all peice of the bonnus, Smith radioed, 2 objectives was added (resist infantry and tanks) and a secondary (prepare my men to invasion).

Whatever I do, the invasion button stay grayed. What I need to do?

Xcom
3rd Nov 2002, 23:59
Originally posted by Chimo
How can I lunch the invasion? I collected all peice of the bonnus, Smith radioed, 2 objectives was added (resist infantry and tanks) and a secondary (prepare my men to invasion).
Whatever I do, the invasion button stay grayed. What I need to do?

Look for "ghost" soldiers. There is a bug which occurs when several tied up soldiers are dumped in the same place (like for example through a window). There is a scripted event when Smith makes radio contact, all gagged soldiers are supposed to run off the map. Some get stuck (usually in the buildings). If you had the misfortune of burying lots of them (using Green Beret's diggin abilities) then you are might wanna restart from a savegame. If you have buried just a couple, you might try finding those spots and tossing a grenade there which should kill them (and the button should light up).

Chimo
4th Nov 2002, 00:44
That's my problem, I have an ennemy soldier in a building that I can't kill with guns. I will try grenade, is it doesn't work I will need to resart the map, I rarely do save in a game

4Eyes
4th Nov 2002, 07:52
So do I understand correctly that you shouldn't tie up any enemies in this level, because they might get stuck when the bonus mission commences? Should I just knife them all in the first place?

I'm in the level before it (The Giant in Haiphong) right now, but it's only a matte rof time before I finish that one and the bonus with it...

Xcom
4th Nov 2002, 14:15
Originally posted by 4Eyes
So do I understand correctly that you shouldn't tie up any enemies in this level, because they might get stuck when the bonus mission commences? Should I just knife them all in the first place?

Not necessarily. Just don't bury them. And when you tie them up, put them from some distance to each other (preferably in the streets).

1shot1kill
4th Nov 2002, 15:09
Hmm, i think it's just the burried ones, both times i played the mission i placed all the tied up germans on the village side of the river in the houses and all in the same spot in those houses and it never gave any trouble.

Xcom
4th Nov 2002, 15:36
Hmm, i think it's just the burried ones, both times i played the mission i placed all the tied up germans on the village side of the river in the houses and all in the same spot in those houses and it never gave any trouble.

Yes, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. :confused:
Don't know for sure what's causing it.

1shot1kill
4th Nov 2002, 20:56
Did it happen to you? I don't remember anyone who got this problem because he put all the bodies together.

Xcom
5th Nov 2002, 00:08
Did it happen to you?

Yeah, it did. The very first time. I didn't bury anyone.

1shot1kill
6th Nov 2002, 04:16
well, as it never seems to have happened to anybody else i think it was something else causing it...