PDA

View Full Version : T2 New game disk not playing.

BrokenArts
12th Oct 2002, 23:23
Well, I broke out the other day, my new T2 game disk, wanted to pop it in and see how it would play. Bought it brand new in the unopened box last Xmas at EB.

Well it would play? Couldn't find the disk?:confused: My question, since this is a different disk, is there a code conflict between the original installation, and my new disk?
The original disk reads. THIEF2_CD2
The newer disk reads. Thief2_2Z

Also I know how we have to be careful doing this, but, I would like back-up copies. Can someone help me to do that? Strike me down, OK? :p :)

DJC
13th Oct 2002, 08:47
Have you purchased one of the "wonderfiul" budget versions of Thief II?

If you have then the likelihood of it it working patched is pretty minimal.
Every budget version of Thief 2 I have seen in the UK (I have one of every type as they are only cheap (£4) has had the original copy protection mutilated in favour of something "better". This will work fine until the game is patched, at which point the copy protection it <i>looks</i> for is reverted to the old version, what it finds however is the new version and as far as it is concerned there is no Thief 2 cd present.

BrokenArts
13th Oct 2002, 15:16
Well that tell's me a lot. :confused: :rolleyes: ;)
I have no idea whether it is a budget version or not. Looked just like my other T2 when I bought it. Same type of box, etc.
Well, how do I get it to play?

Stile451
13th Oct 2002, 15:36
The good ole patch n crack (http://www.mseyre.freeserve.co.uk/How2patchThief2.html). If it's the budget version it'll work.

Vanguard
13th Oct 2002, 17:43
I know it sounds dumb but I've done this, too, but are you sure you are inserting the <bold>2nd</bold> CD of the 2-CD set into the CD drive? If you have multiple CD drives, like DVD and CD[-RW], are you inserting the new 2nd CD into the SAME drive as you were before? The .ini file for Thief records from where it was installed and lists that CD drive as the one it checks for the game.

I have the full retail version of Thief Gold. The no-CD cracks won't work on it because they complain that the section of code that they will replace doesn't equal the bytes expected there; i.e., the cracks see that the bytes are different where it will replace them than what the cracks expect to see there. I had bought TDP but gave it away when I went to TG. Then I gave away TG when I got T2. I didn't expect there to be a 4+ year gap before the next version came out and I hadn't gotten into playing FMs. I then got lonely for TG and bought another copy. That's the one that the no-CD cracks won't work on. I don't think the code for the game changed. I doubt that they game code really changed. I think they got a newer version of the copy protection software on later same-version of the game.

If you want to make a true and fully functional copy of the copy protected game, I'd suggest using CloneCD. I used it to make backup copies of TG and T2. CloneCD will also identify what is the copy protection scheme that is employed, if any. Not all CDs can be copied. It depends mostly on your CD-R[W] drive; if it supports the RAW modes then it's highly likely that your CD can be copied. I believe Ahead's Nero software also lets you make the necessary adjustments to also use RAW mode when copying CDs but you have to be a wizard at knowing where the settings are in Nero and what they do.

CloneCD is not completely automatic, either, but it generally does a good job. It'll work on most copy-protected CDs. There are a couple front-end shells for CloneCD that will detect the copy protection scheme and then run CloneCD with the appropriate settings so you don't have to figure out anything, but obviously these front-end shells can only supply automated settings for the copy protection schemes that they can detect. CloneCD detects a lot of them. I don't remember if the user shells detect more schemes than CloneCD, but I do remember using them to make CloneCD more easy to use.

CloneCD is NOT freeware. I believe you get a 30-day trial after which you are expected to pay for the trialware to get unlimited and continued use.

CloneCD is at:<blockquote>http://elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/</blockquote>
Info on CloneCD can be found at:<blockquote>http://www.clonecd.net/</blockquote>
For a user shell to CloneCD, I use Clony XL which is available at:<blockquote>http://www.clonecd.net/protection.htm</blockquote>

BrokenArts
13th Oct 2002, 19:49
Thanks for the information guys. :) To answer Vanguard, yes I did pop the disk into the right tray.

But, I am gonna have to wait and see on the new CD. Since I already have the older version of T2 already installed, and patched. I do have the patch on disk BTW. I just wanted to see if the new disk would work, gonna have to wait then. Since I would need to install that etc, etc. Make sense? Well, anyway.
Anything else I should do?

Xcom
14th Oct 2002, 11:16
Originally posted by BrokenArts
Anything else I should do?

- Defragment your HD
- Clean your CD-ROM drive
- Reinstall Windows

There is always something you can do. :p

BrokenArts
14th Oct 2002, 14:43
Xcom, bite your tongue! :p Reinstall windows! :eek: On my new system, no thanks. XP is good on somethings, but, it doesn't like some of the older programs I have. :(
At least with my Windows ME, in my old system, all the programs ran and ran just fine.

BrokenArts
23rd Oct 2002, 20:23
Well, somethings were still not answered for me. Have questions.

How can I patch and crack this so called new disk, when I already have my original T2 fully installed.

Uninstall and reinstall this new disk? I don't think so.
How can I patch and crack that new disk, when my system won't even recognize the damn thing? :confused: '

So basically I am screwed and wasted my money, on T2 that looked as original as when I bought it the first time.

I still don't understand why it won't play.

I may try it on my old system and see how it goes for the hell of it.
Since I uninstalled a lot of crap on that little 10 ghz HD, to make more room. Including T2.

I have more questions than answers now.

And I hate not knowing.......WHY it isn't functioning properly.

Mr. Perfect
23rd Oct 2002, 20:36
Ah yes. Windows ME, the public Beta(I think someone here said that origonaly).

If the names of the two disks are different, and you installed off the one disk and are trying to play of the second, then the problem is probably that it's looking for the first disk.

Try installing Thief off of the disk you are playing it with. :)

BTW, I think you got your gigas mixed up. ;)

BrokenArts
23rd Oct 2002, 21:08
Well, I thought of that as well. But, received a PM from GM, heh, that sounds good aye?
And I quote,
"It seems a strange problem to me as well, as I have used many different copies of every Thief game on different types of systems and never really had the type of problem you are getting."

My new system has XP, my old system, which I may install that new disk on, has windows ME. Hell, I have had better luck with ME, than XP, at running programs.

My new system, has 2 - 40 gig HD's. My old system, has the original 10 gig HD. I am gonna install that newer disk on my old system, and see what happens. :)
Will let you know.

BrokenArts
27th Oct 2002, 20:35
Vanguard, just wanted to thank you for your information on Clone CD. I DL it and it works great. I have been a burning fool the past two days. I am on the trial period right now, and will purchase the full version later. It's an easy to use program.
So, again, thank you for the information. :)

Vanguard
28th Oct 2002, 05:18
One of the most educational aspects of CloneCD is the wealth of information regarding different types of CD-RW drives and what read and write modes they support. You don't have to get into the nitty gritty of all the technical details of what each mode means but you can garner enough information to use on your next purchase of a CD-RW drive to ensure that you get a unit that supports the best RAW modes. It was the basis on which I chose the Lite-On LTR-40125 IDE CD-RW drive because it had the best hardware support to thoroughly read and write the CDs so I could guarantee exact copies. Even if the desired model isn't listed in their table, it gives you some good specs by which you can judge the one you want to get (provided you can get the hardware specs on the unit from the manufacturer, but a lot of them list some or all of the specs on their web sites). Many users don't care about these low-level read/write modes - until they have to copy a protected CD and find their unit skimped on low-level hardware modes.

Caradavin1
14th Nov 2002, 01:49
I've tried xp at the local computers on campus, my ME is better. It has spoiled me, and I don't want to switch to xp until its been out for about 5 years. My best preference, though, was Windows 98. It was simply the best.;)