PDA

View Full Version : Fake Weapon Names

Salem4
11th Oct 2002, 14:27
The weapon names are changed to just the type and not the name in the full game. (For exapmle: the beretta is only named 9mm pistol and the hardballers are named silverballers). Is there a way to change this back manually or a modification to download? I hate the new names.

Otherwise, the game is perfect and just as I hoped for.

Ford Prefect
11th Oct 2002, 15:12
you mean the weapons in the full game are re-named (to 9mm and silverballers-- goddamn, i agree, that REALLY sounds awful, just like: hey baby, you see these two great silverballs?)

urgh.

MindBuster
12th Oct 2002, 01:56
Guess it's a copyright/trademark thing, if IOI wanted to use the original names they most likely would have to pay the makers of the real guns.....

Zaphod
12th Oct 2002, 16:02
That's my guess, too.

Defkon
19th Oct 2002, 01:44
does anyone know where the file where the text for the weapons is located? I'd like to edit it and make my own names.

Salem4
19th Oct 2002, 11:56
Originally posted by MindBuster
Guess it's a copyright/trademark thing, if IOI wanted to use the original names they most likely would have to pay the makers of the real guns.....

Are you sure about this? My guess would be that it is free, but IOI just didn't have time to ask. Nearly all games have real names, and it is only positive for the gun makers who get some free advertising.

Hitman: Codename 47 had real weapon names. I find it strange that IOI did not renew their licence.

Perhaps it will be fixed in the hopefully soon upcoming patch.

Elenkis
19th Oct 2002, 18:17
IOI stated that it probably wouldn't have been possible for them to get a licence from every gun manufacturer.

When Hitman 47 came out this wasn't problem, but recently Colt sued Ubisoft (I think it was those two companies) over several of their games which have used Colt weapons in them. Other gun manufacturers are looking at doing the same, they are cracking down.

This is the same reason why they had to change all the gun names in CounterStrike.

Devistater
20th Oct 2002, 19:46
Originally posted by Salem4

Are you sure about this? My guess would be that it is free, but IOI just didn't have time to ask. Nearly all games have real names, and it is only positive for the gun makers who get some free advertising.

Hitman: Codename 47 had real weapon names. I find it strange that IOI did not renew their licence.

Perhaps it will be fixed in the hopefully soon upcoming patch.

Nope, not nearly all, and for the first hitman game I dont think they asked permission first. Most games/companies are cracking down and renaming things. For instance, the retail version of Counter Strike has all these stupid names like Night Hawk for the Desert Eagle. One of the reasons I prefer the mod version, it still has the real names :) I guess if its free, its less likely that the gun makers will sue for a piece of the profits, or something like that.

Notice how many of them don't rename the AK 47? :)

Salem4
20th Oct 2002, 19:50
Originally posted by Devistater
Notice how many of them don't rename the AK 47? :)

Not surprising. The AK-47 is an "open source" weapon and no one has copyright on it, therefore no-one can sue and they continue to use it.

0nion
21st Oct 2002, 22:58
They have to use fake names, or they'd have to pay for licensing. It's also tricky to get some of them because the gun designers want their guns to posess more power than what the game developers have given them so fake names make it easier.

Silverballers is a little weird, but I don't have any problem with 9mm pistol.