PDA

View Full Version : Hitman 2 w/ Gamepad

Plohish
9th Oct 2002, 18:05
According to the instruction manual the game can be played w/ the Gamepad.

However I have no such luck. When I am trying to change the key configuration gamepad buttons do not register.

I have Game Pad Pro from Gravis (USB).

Can someone shed some light on the problem? :(

Zaphod
9th Oct 2002, 19:50
As soon as I get home I'll try to fire it up with my Gravis Eliminator Aftershock Thingy and see what I can come up with.

Until then - any ideas, anyone?

"Is Brooklyn in the house?!" Ya know, it's almost 20 years later, and I still can't get enough of saying that.

Dasim4
14th Oct 2002, 14:08
Yea, use the mouse/keyboard like 99% of all other FPS gamers. Why in the world would you want to use a gamepad? You can't aim worth squat. Just looking around is slow. There is definitely a place for gamepads but a FPS is not it. Of course this is absolutely no help to you if you are bound and determined to use a gamepad so I'll leave it at that. But try to get used to the mouse if you can. It's so much better for this type of game.

Catman
14th Oct 2002, 14:11
I will point out yet again (as I have done on other forums) that some people have physical handicaps which prevent them from using the keyboard and mouse, so a gamepad is the only route for them.

And others simply prefer the gamepad. It's a matter of choice. :rolleyes:

Zaphod
14th Oct 2002, 15:04
I only bought a gamepad a few months ago, and bought it mainly for sports games.

But I know people who use the gamepad for everything, including really precise FPSs like DX or Thief. After I finish Hitman2 in the manner I'm used to, I'm gonna try it with a gamepad. The looking-around problem shouldn't be an issue if you've got 2 analog control sticks (one for keyboard-esque movement, one for mouselook). And, any decent gamepad can be fully customized, if not within the game itself, then in the gamepad's control panel. I'm curious to see how it plays.

Dasim4
14th Oct 2002, 15:49
Look I played my first three FPS games a few years back using a Joystick. It was ok. Then I ran into a similar problem where my stick wouldn't work and I came to a forum like this asking the same question. People told me to use a mouse and keyboard and I thought they were crazy until I tried it. Some people are not aware that it is a better method. Yes it is a matter of choice and there's a good reason the majority of gamers choose the keyboard/mouse combo. Physical handicaps aside it is the best tool for playing FPS games. He also didn't say a word about being handicapped. :P Even with analog sticks a gamepads performance is not as good as a mouse. I can turn at any speed including whipping the mouse to turn 180 on a dime which cannot be done with any type of stick barring the Madcatz Panther that had the track ball built in. But you're right it is a matter of choice so it's pointless to keep arguing which I won't. But it never hurts to point out a better alternative just in case.

Zaphod
14th Oct 2002, 16:11
Yeah, you're right about one thing - the ability to turn 180 degrees instantly with a mouse - you just really can't recreate that with a gamepad. At least, I would imagine you can't, even at the most sensitive analog setting.

Dasim4
15th Oct 2002, 00:30
It may not matter that much in a slower paced game like Hitman except maybe when they sneak up behind you. But for something like Unreal Tournament 2003 where lightening fast turns are the difference between living and dying it makes a huge difference. Of course one of the greatest human traits is adaptability so anything will work if you try hard enough. Like, going back to the handicapped, it absolutely amazes me what people accomplish by blowing through a straw. Just incredible.