PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of Doubt - Walking the Edge

Peter_Smith
8th Oct 2002, 06:29
This one takes the cake. I've been trying to play it on Expert, and it is beating me. You get no blackjack, but you do get a sword, yet no kills are allowed. And some of the guards, once alerted, stay alert, yet you cannot fight them. There are a lot of things that, if you do not do them just right, according to a grand plan unknown to the player, you cannot finish the mission.

Case in point -- one of several. With some difficulty I make it into the Embasy basement. To get upstairs, I followed a guard through a locked door and frobbed it so it would stay unlocked. I find a guard near a gate in the foyer that can be picked for access to the stairs, but he is standing too close to the gate to open, so I nudge him to the side. I open the gate, go upstairs, and kill the boss guy, as required. Objectives are checked off. So far, so good. Now I want to leave the Embassy. I start down the stairs and find that my killing of the boss has alerted the foyer guards (throuh a closed door, one floor above). One guard formerly on patrol is now stationed guarding the door I used to come up from the basement. What's worse, he is lookintg directly at the gate, and now I cannot get out of the gate because he sees me. So I figure, what the heck, I'll make a run for it. Now, with embasy key in hand (found upstairs), I run to the front door and unlock one half. Run in circles, guards in chase, and unlock the second half. Open the door and run out weaving a little, barely making it to an escape ladder before being shot with arrows. This is difficult stuff - took maybe 20 tries to get out clean.

OK, I am out safe. Now I cannot find the key to the museum. After hunting for about 3 hours and going on all the roofs within the area, I go to TTLG for hints (no posts here about that mission). I find that I should have found a key to the museum in the embassy. I should have left the embassy immediately with the museum key to loot the museum. Then I should have gone back to the embassy to finish the job there. And I should have used a rope arrow rather than go into the gate. But since I didn't read the authors mind, and the embassy guards remain forever on high beam now, I cannot get back into the embassy to get the museum key, so now I am hopelessly stuck, short of loot. Nice.:(

Much as I hate to, I am forced to give up or restart. Unless someone knows another way to get into the museum.

Nightwalker
8th Oct 2002, 12:03
I had the same problems with this mission on Expert, Peter. There is also a problem with objectives unticking unless you exit from areas in certain ways, then the mission won't finish.

I finally restarted on Normal, where you get a BJ and it was better, but you still have to be careful with the objectives to make sure they stay ticked off. This one is NOT on my list of favourites.:(

Peter_Smith
8th Oct 2002, 13:53
Thanks for the confirmation / commiseration, Nightwaker.:). That's really too bad. The architecture, map, and concept are good. It looks like this mission was pushed out without beta testing. Sperry needs to summon the dream team.;) It could be fixed. He also needs to be be more aware of different possibilities and the concept of not to make it too difficult. Sperry, are you listening?:)

Peter_Smith
9th Oct 2002, 23:30
I restarted Shadow of Doubt on Normal and found it much more agreeable. I could BJ the AI who gave me trouble in Expert, especially around the embassy. I also encountered the disappearing objective to find the embassy. It goes away when you leave the embassy by any normal route. Depending on the path you take, it can also disappear even while you are in the embassy. The way I found to solve that problem was to find a path that resulted in the objective being on while in the embassy and to leave by the sewer. Pretty obscure.

The next episode, Tears of Blood, seems to be a little better, assuming you don't mind scrolling though about 20 keys.:) But I haven't finished it yet, so I may have more to say later....