PDA

View Full Version : anything on expansin packs?

Dark Blood
7th Oct 2002, 18:34
does anyone know anything about a possible expansion packs? Just wondering.

Also, I've heard a few things about a fighting pit room? could someone fill me in?
:confused:

Azuriel
7th Oct 2002, 18:51
1. no expansion... unless we keep whining for it for another 3 years :P

2. the fighting pit was skipped from the game. in this room aliens could fight eachother

Dark Blood
7th Oct 2002, 19:03
that doesn't makes sense. if they have leftover programming and ideas that didn't make the first cut, throw out an expansion. they'd get money, we'd get more startopia, we'd all be happy. the station's big enough. I want more!:mad:

don't mind me. I'm just cranky.;)

Azuriel
7th Oct 2002, 19:14
true but sad, isn`t it

anyway, you`ll be pleased to know there are plenty good fan missions `n stuff around. check the Post :)

Dark Blood
7th Oct 2002, 19:58
already there,
just got Hyperstation and just heard about the infect station one. I'm looking for others

you know of any?

Azuriel
8th Oct 2002, 06:19
ehhm.... nope. sorry :(

there is a thread somewhere here about the best missions. do a search for it

Hand-E-Food
9th Oct 2002, 01:15
Originally posted by Dark Blood
does anyone know anything about a possible expansion packs?

There one was a man who cried "More!"
For StarTopia had began to bore.
The coders rose up
And took out his gut
So no-one cries "More!" no more.

Alas, they made enough of a loss on the original. Any expansion that will happen will be a community project. I've considered making a text-based/turn-based version of StarTopia with the idea that anyone can design new rooms and aliens just by writing text files. Although the graphics is one of the big sellers for StarTopia.

Gemslug
9th Oct 2002, 20:06
I reckon it won't be long till we see user based furniture. How do we know it's not already out their? *Grabs Hand-E Food and shakes him*. HOW DO WE KNOW, HUH?! HOW DO WE KNOW!

Gemslug
9th Oct 2002, 20:08
But until then we should make are own free text-based version of the game. Maybe a mud...

Hand-E-Food
9th Oct 2002, 22:27
Sstsotpop shsahkaiknigng mem.e.....

Thank you.

I was thinking this morning about TextTopia. I though, what's the point of peeps doing things like eating, sleeping, drinking, loving, etc.? I had a point with this, but after writing and looking at it, I answered my own question. Make it so each room can only serve X peeps per turn, and (for bars, etc.) seat Y peeps at a time.

Also, space stations or star ships or both?

Did you have more of an RPG idea with the MUD thing or am I completely off the track?

Thanks for the inspiration and support. This might be doable again. And it would definately be free. I'm all for community projects. Besides, we'd probably get sued if we tried to make money off Mucky Foot's ideas.

Any thoughts?

Dark Blood
10th Oct 2002, 13:08
th hyper space station sets up a good base for a scene that is both a station/ship.

What would the base plot line be? I had toyed with ideas like:
For whatever reson (comet, enviromental collappse, war) an aliens home world is destroyed and they are on a quest for a new world.

Gemslug
10th Oct 2002, 15:44
:DYes I did want more of an RPG theme to it. *Struck by bolt of insight*. How come we can't do both? We could have people running stations and peeps who enter it who play a RPG role. We could do that-I know HTML and Javascript. I'm sure we have loads of ideas!:D

Hand-E-Food
11th Oct 2002, 05:27
Well, I've just started on a completely modable version, written with Java 2 SDK. At the moment, I'm putting it together in a very similar fashion to StarTopia. Everything is in text files, including aliens and rooms. If you want to design a new room, you copy the template (or write from scratch) and fill in the blanks.

For the moment, I'm leaving it as single player missions, just so I can get something running. Any multiuserness is a -long- way off.

What would the base plot line be?
I have a crap mind for writing stories, mine works with rules, so I'll leave the plot with the others.
Now that I've said that, here's the story so far:

Earth government builds an international space station so that they may build inter-stellar ships and strip-mine planets far away.

Mission 1: Build station and employ humans to build an inter-stellar ship.
Mission 2: Set up station above target planet, set up communication relay with first station, and send lander to surface. Lo and behold: Alien communications?
Mission 3: Enter some alien race. Humans befriend aliens. A bit of technology trade begins with limited trust on both sides.

Earth eventually becomes part of the Galactic Federation. Stuff happens, not too dissimilar to the 10 missions of StarTopia. But the advantage is that missions can be added with a minimum of fuss because new technology and aliens are but a text file away.

a scene that is both a station/ship.

We could have people running stations and peeps who enter it who play a RPG role.
We'll just have all three. (Man that's gonna f' up my ideas on how to code this thing.)

Is there a big enough player base for a MUD? Perhaps we'll need to restrict how many players can open stations. Or let everyone have one or two characters, and let only the, say, three most senior players control stations (as a third character). Also, what more than a giant chat room would this MUD be?

Gemslug
11th Oct 2002, 14:53
First of all think of how much space we need. Easly solved I have a friend who could getme a large amount of webspace. Secondly we need an admin; someone who is realiable and won't go powermad. Lastly think about bandwidth- if this gets sucessful we will have a lot of people on there(we may have to put limits on movement). We need to plan this.

Hand-E-Food
11th Oct 2002, 22:52
We won't need much space. Text based games take up next to no room, even with multiuser save games. I'd guess 10Mb tops. Bandwidth: yes, that will be important.

Just think back to the good old days of BBS MUDs. Several people playing over 7200bps modems. Hard disks were small and bandwidths were tight then.

Gemslug
12th Oct 2002, 16:37
Who says it has to be text based? It needs more of a mud feel. They work by combining pictures and text. Hmm, how about we have a sort of map system- this way we could do graphics of buildings(to limit station rulers how about we make itso that it cost's alot of E to build- if people don't like an adminstrator they can rebel and boot him off).

Dark Blood
13th Oct 2002, 01:00
I'm all for addind a graphics side.

Hand-E-Food
13th Oct 2002, 08:52
Graphics hasn't been ruled out, certainly not. I'm just starting small. I'm not going to make things any more complicated than necessary until I have a working version. From past experience, I need to do things this way or I'll get bored and give up.

Gemslug
13th Oct 2002, 16:48
I've found a way to solve the "players just kill each other; no control or order problem. We put in high level guards in areas that we want controled(they can be killed but by then a whole army will be after the "outlaw"). This adds a lot of intrigue as killing know has to be done silently.

Hand-E-Food
14th Oct 2002, 11:10
So assassins and saboteurs must live up to their name... <grin!>

Gemslug
15th Oct 2002, 16:45
Yep, and in areas we don't want to control-hmm?(thinks for a second). Let me put it this way it'll be full on riot, with gang wars, etc.

Hand-E-Food
16th Oct 2002, 10:14
Well, if your administrator asks you to help take over a segment...

Gemslug
17th Oct 2002, 15:01
Since it's a text based adventure (this is in the RPG point of view),
characters should be able to leap off walls, interact with objects, etc. It shouldn't use that much space

AlphaOmega
20th Oct 2002, 04:30
Cool idea!

You know where to send it when you finish...

Hand-E-Food
21st Oct 2002, 03:25
I'm gonna stick that date in my calendar just to see how long it's going to take me. Work's been really slow on it. I just started a new job.

Gemslug
23rd Oct 2002, 20:52
I don't care how long it takes. So long as it's cool, I don't care.