PDA

View Full Version : Error Message: Hitman 2

Waterlily
6th Oct 2002, 01:02
We just purchased Hitman 2. No problems with installation, but I receive a fatal error message of:

Direct 3D: Unable to create device. Try changing resolution or color depth.

I have the latest drivers and fit all the requirements and then some. I haven't found any discussion regarding this so if someone could give me a different suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hitman2002
6th Oct 2002, 01:51
Please post your computer specs. It definitely has something to do with the video card though.

Waterlily
7th Oct 2002, 22:04
I believe we meet all of the minimum requirements. We just installed Ghost Recon and it works fine.

Here you go:

HP Pavilion that dedicates up to 11mb to video memory

Integrated Intel Direct AGP 3D graphics with up to 11mb dynamic video memory

667mhz
20 gb
256 RAM
48X CD rom

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Hitman2002
7th Oct 2002, 22:33
I'm guessing it's because your video card has such little memory. I guess that's why it's telling you to change your resolution and color bits. Not sure, but that's my guess. 11MB for video card isn't much at all.

Hmm...I went back to check on Ghost Recon on my shelf and it says it needs a 16mb video card. You only have 11 but it runs fine....I really think is it because of the memory because to me, Hitman 2 seems to rely more on the video card than Ghost Recon. GR's graphics are very similar to Rogue Spear's and that only need 4mb of video memory.

Hitman2002
7th Oct 2002, 22:36
Oh yeah...i forgot, have you tried changing your hardware acceleration? You can find that by going into Control Panel, Display, Advanced, then Troubleshooting....that's how it's like for Windows XP anyway.

Catman
8th Oct 2002, 12:40
You might also try running it in a window rather than full screen.

Saba
8th Oct 2002, 22:45
Have you already put up 11 MBs to be shared? I suggest you buy a graphics card. You can get a pretty decent one, like a nVidia TNT or GeForce, for less than $40, and enjoy better graphics for months to come in all your games.

Waterlily
10th Oct 2002, 18:25
Hi guys,

It turns out that there is a compatibility issue with the graphics chipset on my Intel 82810 with Hitman2. It is built in, so I can't remove it and it can't be completely disabled. I went out and purchased an ATI graphics card and it isn't compatible with it either. Does anyone know of any graphics cards that are compatible with the 82810. My computer is only a year old and it was suppose to be completely upgradeable, but so far no luck.

Hitman2002
10th Oct 2002, 22:57
Can't be completely disabled....that's trouble. Any card you buy will probably cause a conflict with it, i'm guessing. It can't be completely upgradeable if the onboard video card can't be disabled. I don't know what else to say, but good luck. I would buy a new motherboard (my opinion only).

dante_ra
11th Oct 2002, 21:39
If you know how to access the BIOS during the boot of your system, you can disable the onboard video. You will have to check with the manufacturer or your documentation to find out how to access the BIOS. Every make has a different key.
I had a similar problem with an onboard sound device. And all modern BIOS systems have the option to disable any onboard device. Just remember with the video, if you disable the onboard video, you have to remember to re-enable it before removing the new video card, or you won't have any video at all.

Waterlily
11th Oct 2002, 21:47
Could you tell me a little more, I know how to get to the BIOS. What happens if I disable and the graphics card doesn't work, will the system default?

dante_ra
11th Oct 2002, 21:57
First of all, you should try and disable the current video device through the system/hardware config thing in windows.

You should be able to select properties on the device and it should have a checkbox at the bottom where it says" Disable in all Harware Profiles" After disabling it here, try installing the new card. If that doesn't work, then we can go on to messing with the BIOS.

Waterlily
13th Oct 2002, 15:49
Believe it or not we have finally found a graphics card that works with our Intel 82810. It is a Mad Dog by Nvidia. I spoke to someone from Nvidia and they told me that all of their cards should work, so on my 3rd purchase of a graphics card, I picked the right one. I almost fell out of my chair when it opened.

One other thing I did which may have made a difference is when I disabled my original I unchecked the box that said exists in all hardware profiles.

Now learning to play the game, we will see what lies in store for us.

Thanks so much for all of the help.

needs help
18th Oct 2002, 04:06
about the problem you used to have with your old 82810 sound card....i got the same message and have the same card...now i know nearly nothing about computers...i just know i want to play the game...so what did you buy or do to fix the problem? a Mad Dog by Nvidia? and how did you go about getting one and installing it? or is there a way without buying a new graphics card to do this?
appreciate it.. :)

bkruky_22
20th Oct 2002, 21:49
I have the same problem as the first guy. I get the error message, Dirct 3d: Unable to create device. Try changing resolution or color depth. I have Windows ME, Pentium III, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro(with latest drivers), 32.0 MB display memory, and directx 8.1 Can anyone help me.

Catman
20th Oct 2002, 21:53
Try running the configuration utility and unchecking the Full Screen box.

bkruky_22
20th Oct 2002, 21:57
Nope still didn't work.

Catman
20th Oct 2002, 22:00
Try this then: Open the Hitman2.ini file on your hard drive and change the line which reads DrawDll RenderD3D.dll to DrawDll RenderOpenGL.dll.

bkruky_22
20th Oct 2002, 22:14
That worked thanks!

Catman
20th Oct 2002, 22:16
http://www1.iastate.edu/~wsthune/cps/tab/tabgrin.gif

Glad it worked.

Justinp7
21st Oct 2002, 03:34
I am having a heck of a time getting to play this game I keep getting this message over and over :Direct3D Unable to create device. Try changing resolution or color depth: Can anone please help me

Waterlily
22nd Oct 2002, 18:36
If you get this message, the only way to fix this problem is to buy a new Nvidia card and install it in to your computer. You will have to know whether you need an AGP or PCI slot card. I tried 3 cards by other manufacturers and only the Nvidia worked. Now, I purchased a Mad Dog which was about $90 but it had 64mb and is very easy to install. They are other names out there by Nvidia and according to the manufacturer, they should all work. ATI doesn't work with the 82810, so don't even mess with it. That came directly from ATI in Canada. GOOD LUCK.

elmemo47
17th Oct 2012, 12:36
Oh yeah...i forgot, have you tried changing your hardware acceleration? You can find that by going into Control Panel, Display, Advanced, then Troubleshooting....that's how it's like for Windows XP anyway.

MAN U SAVED MY LIFE IN 2012 :D
I GOT SOME ERROR LIKE:
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem IN MOHAA
Dirct 3d: Unable to create device. Try changing resolution ...IN HITMAN
AND OTHER GAMES WAS DIDN'T OPEN SO I TRIED SOME SOLS LIKE
-REINSTALL DIRECTX -REINSTALL MICROSOFT VISUAL -REINSTALL GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER -INSTALL OPENGL.DLL OPENGL32.DLL OPENAL32.DLL GLIDE3X.DLL
-REINSTALL THE GAME ITS SELF !!
AND ALL OF THAT DIDN'T WORK :(
BUT WHEN I SEE UR REPLAY AND CHECKED UP MY PC ACC I FOUND IT (NONE) SO CHANGED IT TO (FULL) AND WHAT A SURPRISE EVERY GAME NOW WORKS FINE :D LIKE BEFORE SO THE PROBLEM DIDNT WAS WITH MY GRAPHIC CARD LIKE SOME1 SAID HERE ;)
FINALLY I REGISTER ONLY TO SAY THANK YOU SO MUCH & SORRY 4 BAD ENGLISH ;)