PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo 5 crashes in Win98 and XP

DanielW
4th Oct 2002, 17:37
Helo, I bought the game today and rushed home to play it. After the instalation, I try to launch the game and it crashes to the desktop. In Windows XP i get the message "Direct3D: Unable to create device. Try changing resolution or color depth" I put it to 640x480 and 16 bit but still get the same error. In Windows 98 it just crashes to the desktop with no error message.

Please don't aswer "your voodoo is crap, buy a new card, etc." I can play UT2k3 just fine (after a patch was released because the game wasn't working on voodoos) Also BOTH the beta and the demo worked fine so I figured there would be no problems. Please is there a way to get it to work or can this be addressed in a patch or something. i can't afford a new card until christmas and it's very frustrating to have the game sitting on my desk and have it installed and not being able to play it. I read the manual like 50 times and looked through the extras folder for some comfort, but i want to play the game already. PLEASE HELP.

DanielW
4th Oct 2002, 17:57
Ok. in hitman.ini I changed the renderer to openGL and the inro movies play and everything but when I click Start, It crashes to the desktop. Oh the horror :(

I GOT IT TO WORK<IT must be run in windowed mode and in OpenGL

Grey Mouser
4th Oct 2002, 18:32
Well, it is not because your Voodoo 5 is crap (I still use one at home...trusty vid card) but because the drivers for it are not "100% DirectX 8.1 Compliant", which Hitman 2 requires. It crashes on my home system too, so don't feel all alone.

Wanna see further evidence? Open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (Start>Run>dxdiag>OK) and Save the information as a text file to your desktop. Open the 'dxdiag.txt' file in Notepad and scroll down until you see the Display Device information, like this:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: 3dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Series Driver
Manufacturer: 3dfx Interactive, Inc.
Chip type: 3dfx Voodoo 3
DAC type: 3dfx Internal DAC
Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_121A&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_0036121A&REV_01
Display Memory: 16.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Dell D1025TM
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: 3dfxvs.dll
Driver Version: 5.00.2195.0232 (English)
DDI Version: 7
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/2/2000 04:49:52, 545328 bytes

See that 'DDI version 7' on the Voodoo 3 on the machine I am typing at? It needs to be 8, and my guess is that your Voodoo 5 is the same.

Best suggestion (which I was planning on trying sometime, if I find anything that works I'll post it here) is to see if any of the 'user-created' drivers for the Voodoo 5 will work. However, my experience is that this is chancy at best, as some of the drivers I have tried since 3dfx went under are less than stable.

Check at VoodooFiles (http://www.voodoofiles.com/) and look for a driver that says it is DirectX 8.1 compliant for Win XP. Download, install correctly (usually you need to remove the driver you are using right now first) and try, try again.

Danzig
14th Oct 2002, 04:56
Originally posted by DanielW
Ok. in hitman.ini I changed the renderer to openGL and the inro movies play and everything but when I click Start, It crashes to the desktop. Oh the horror :(

I GOT IT TO WORK<IT must be run in windowed mode and in OpenGL

What did you exactly type in the hitman.ini to get it to render in opengl? Cause I have the exact same problem as you did

EDIT- well i got it to run once(and only one) when I switched it to OpenGL in the Hitman.ini but even then when I got into the game noone had any textures and were just white and without detail..

BAH...