PDA

View Full Version : jumpy/jittery assassin video problem?

captvideo
3rd Oct 2002, 18:49
I am downloading a new nvidia driver right now but I dont have high hopes for it. Anyone experience a jumpy character? The demo played fine for me (better than fine really) I just got the game and The first mission has my character not showing all the animations when he runs and then when stopped after running his head shakes or his whole body jumps like he cant decide to face forward or sideways. I have played with the various video settings but no luck yet. (was running nvidia 28.32 drivers)

P4 1.6Ghz
500MB ram DDR
Geforce 3 64MB
SB live (had to disable EAX to get good sound)

Anyone else se this and fix it yet? The problem is not consistent either. It happens like 80% of the time he is running around. I am gonna try the new drivers now but if anyone else knows anything let me know.

Saba
3rd Oct 2002, 21:42
The first video did seem a bit jittery on my GeForce 2 (28.32 too), but after that everything seemed fine. I defragmented my hard drive and performance improved noticeably--maybe you should try it.

Grey Mouser
3rd Oct 2002, 22:48
Working fine for me using P4 1.6/256MB/Win XP Home/GeForce 3/SB Live.

Using drivers .4041 for the GF3 and .3509 for the Live.

Disconnect any and all game controllers if you have one, alos be really sure there are no background apps running...CTRL-ALT-DEL to see Task Manager, nothing listed under Applications Tab is best.

Saba
4th Oct 2002, 02:09
I didn't have this yesterday, but it seems like the game may be slowing for maybe one millesecond in one step intervals while running. I'll try updating my drivers tonight.

captvideo
4th Oct 2002, 15:22
Update from first post:

I am running Win ME
I upgraded the Geforce drivers to the 30.82 maybe will do the 40 series next.

I didnt think about disconnecting the joystick (anyone else hear of that causing a problem in other games)

I upgraded the direct x to 8.01b (I think I was on 8.01a)

I tried forcing it into OpenGL mode by editing the ini file (same problem)

I installed the game onto my older Celeron2 (100FSB, P3 series) 850Mhz Abit MB with a Geforce 2 pro with the same Geforce series drivers (28's and then the 30.82) It runs fine on that machine. (SB128 for sound, no EAX and had to knock the sound accel down one notch in dxdiag to get it to start without the error in EAX.dll).

I am probably gonna just finish the game on that system now. I am already on like mission 5 or so (Japanese castle meet the asian girl from previous game)

The problem I had with my P4 sys (specs in earlier post) is not one you could miss if you had it. The guy slides around instead of running and seems like the game is trying to draw him in two places at once. The only other thing that might give a clue is that the shroud/tapestry covering the confessional in first mission seemed to be moving much more rapidly on the system with the problem than on the system that it ran smoothly.

eddie
5th Oct 2002, 02:07
Eidos!!!

I HAVE THE SAME!!!

I have a P4 533Mhz bus, 2.4Ghz.
512 MB Ram
Win XP + SP1
ATI Radeon 8500 with catalyst 2.3

I get the same! the guy isn't moving right, he's "floating", or "jumpy" animations are skipped, then catches up, then skips...

basically I can't play!!

Let's hope they address this soon.

Tyrion
5th Oct 2002, 16:04
Hey people read the tread entitled "Animation problems (slides, jumps and jitters.") It mention the same problem that we are all having. Here is what I posed on that thread in reponce to what the Moderator had to say;

I will have to say that this problem is a problem that IOI will have to address in a patch. I have tried everything in the book and not in the book to fix this, to no avail. Changing the video card drivers, beta or no beta, signed or not signed, does not work. I have tried playing with my sound card settings and that has not worked, I have the newest Audigy patch for XP too. I have trouble shot to the point where my head might have exploded; I now pass this problem, mentioned above, to IOI and Eidos. I will list my system specs below so they might assist you;

Windows XP Pro ver. 2002 Service Pack 1
Asus A7V266-E System board, (I tried VIA's 4in1 driver versions 4.38, 4.42, 4.43 and they don't fix the problem.)
Athlon XP 1800+
Two Maxtor Diamondmax 30GB ATA100 HD
768 MB of Micron DDR SDRAM
DirectX 8.1b ver. 4.08.01.0810
PNY Geforce 4 TI4600 / Driver version 40.72, previously using 30.82 and all in between the two.
SB Audigy with the newest Win XP patch. Driver ver. 5.12.01.0253
3Com 3C905TX Ethernet Adapter

I hope this problem is an addressable one for the sake of all the people that are experiencing it.

Best regards,

Dan Porter.

Rhan101277
7th Oct 2002, 00:34
Ok, I have the same trouble but I have the same system as one of the replies below where he said he used 40.41 drivers, I may try those but again no high hopes. I have had a fun weekend of downloading/uninstalling/re-installing drivers, the game etc. to get the same struggling to walk/run do anthing hitman 2. Although Disabling EAX does fix the sound issues the graphics problems need to be fixed. If IOI was aware of this they should have released a patch immediately, I am going to keep trying stuff. If i can fix mine I will be a faithful Junior Member and post my findings....

P4 1.6Ghz; GeForce 3 Ti 500 (29.42 Drivers fixing to try 40.41); 512MB DDR DRAM; Creative PCI 512...

captvideo
8th Oct 2002, 21:39
I was lucky enough to have a second system that played the game and I finished it on Sunday, but I still wanted to know why my better system would not play right. The No-Cd cracks are finally showing up and I tried the one by FairLight (although it only stops the securom not the Cd check, you still need the cd or a backup in the drive)

Well the game works with the fixed exe from Fairlight. I had all sorts of problems with moving the character around and I am working from an original store bought disk. I used the fixed exe and the game runs perfectly.

Needless to say I am kinda pissed off at the decision to screw up a working progam in an attempt to reduce the ability to make copies of the disk. I can only take heart in the fact that there are enough intelligent people out there that can fix these kind of mistakes, and do it faster that the game publishers.

Don't ask me about where to find the crack, just look in the usual spots.

I just can't believe I wasted like 6 hours updating video and sound drivers and searching the net for info and the product was faulty from the start. I think thats the last time I pre-order anything, I'll go back to waiting around till all the bugs get worked out.

Rhan101277
8th Oct 2002, 22:16
I have helped many people to find this fix and download it. It is true Captain Video the did fix it faster than the publishers. I hope the people I helped out can now enjoy this game and get there moneys worth.... for some reason the admin keeps removing my post so for all that can read my post now.........enjoy this game....

eddie
9th Oct 2002, 00:06
So here's the crappy stuff (nevermind the fact that cracks out there help us faster than official patches!!!!!!)

the crack indeed helped my character "animation" - he walks now!

But now I'm plagued with hard lockups happening randomly at the beginning.. sometimes at the intro movie (once I choose to play), once it was while playing (I barely moved outside)...

Is there a grpahical setting I should turn off to help alleviate this problem? It causes a HARD lockup, sometihng no other game I have does..

again, ATI Radeon 8500.

Eidos!!!!!!!!!!! Devs!!!!!!! Someone talk to us!!!!!!!

eddie
9th Oct 2002, 01:02
UPDATE:

No more hard lockups since installing Platinum 6166 drivers from driverheaven.net

But now I get crashes to desktop.

Aaaaaaahhh!