PDA

View Full Version : Boys don't cry? Well, I did after I saw this ...

Godfather
3rd Oct 2002, 09:16
Yesterday I saw some footage of the Vietnam War again. I remember having seen it before ... I actually did a paper on Vietnam and I used some of the more (unfortunately) well-known pictures that became a symbol for the real horror behind this war. Somehow I've always felt more compassion for this war then for any other war; I don't know why that is. Is it because there have been more films made of the Vietnam war? Is it because my fellow Americans lost the Vietnam war (or as Kevin Kline states so beautifully in 'A fish called Wanda': "We didn't lose Vietnam; it was a tie!) I don't know why; I really don't!

The footage that brought me to tears (and I'm not ashamed to admit it!) was when a very beautiful, innocent girl ran -totally in shock- away from the spot that just had been napalmed and towards some American soldiers ... towards safety. There was also an even smaller boy, but he was crying ... poor thing! She -the girl and she must have been around 7 or 8 years old- was taken care of and while these American soldiers washed off the dirt of this tiny, little girl's back, she turned around and you could see that her original, brownish tint of her back had gone awfully white and you could hear her breathing very deeply. She was sooo cute and just this shot proved how ****ING awful war really is!! And ... GOD! She wasn't even crying! It brought me to tears ... has anyone else ever seen this horrible footage? :mad: :mad::mad::mad:

Data
3rd Oct 2002, 16:32
Sometimes only a disturbing sight can focus one on the true lives of some human beings, however I usually notice reference to the appearance of these people which somehow perplexes me, as you never hear someone say "how could it happen to one so ugly...."
War is never pretty, and I doubt human kind will ever learn from such mistakes.

Polar_Andromeda
3rd Oct 2002, 18:29
Originally posted by Data
you never hear someone say "how could it happen to one so ugly...."

It's simply b/c people are programmed to be more sympathetic towards beautiful people and not their counterparts. This is not something that is created by our cultures, but rather something that we're born with, as tests involving babies show that they prefer to stare longer at beautiful people. But anyway, gettting back to the Vietnam War, a lot of innocent people suffered needlessly, including my friend's dad, who was jailed for 10 years on suspicion of espionage, when all he really was was a reporter. This war affected my friend's dad so deeply that he refuses to talk about it at all nowadays. I just hate war, even if some people say it's good for the country's economy in the end. It's just senseless bloodshed.

Kat
3rd Oct 2002, 21:16
If you want to see something about the Vietnam War that will wrench your heart out, watch "We Were Soldiers."

The scenes where the wives are receiving the "yellow" notices from the Army Department was just awful. I sat and held onto my husband and cried the entire time that scene was going on.

Lil Lara
4th Oct 2002, 02:21
My uncle was in the Vietnam War. He has written a few essays/articles(whatever you want to call 'em) for some Vietnam related websites..I don't know the links off hand, though.

Anyways. He has gone through a lot and has been trying to teach myself and my two older sisters about his experiences, war, life..ect. I love him to death and he is basically the father figure in my life.

Unfortuantly...he has a lot of health issues. One of them being Prostate cancer which believed he got from that Agent Orange stuff. :(

Anyways...back to your topic. Yes. War sucks...the footage you saw must've been terribly painful to sit through and watch. :(

Goose Master
6th Oct 2002, 18:48
Im sorry to hear about your uncle lil lara it must be horrible for you i hope things work out the way you want them to. I have always had a thing about viet nam all my life i feal so sorry for the soldiers who took part and the way they have been treated and what they went through. People dont seem to realise how different the world is 1000's of miles away and what the vision of war can do to the soul. I have always been interseted in viet nam ever since watching Apocalypse now it touches on so many issues and shows things so vividly without showing the viewer anything at all. People dont get told enough about what really happened they only seem to get told lies and made to think the soldiers were to blame rather then the govenment who controlled them.:(

I beleive that the worst thing about footage and pictures from the war are the soldiers exspretions and also the suffering of the innocent.

the last frustration
8th Oct 2002, 21:29
You don't know peace till you've had suffering.

Right, okay, suffering we have, but where's the peace? :mad:

Godfather
8th Oct 2002, 22:20
Originally posted by the last frustration

Right, okay, suffering we have, but where's the peace? :mad:

It must have died along with John Lennon, I guess.

Anyway, as long as people don't share mutual respect and stop hating each other for their religion beliefs, skin color and plain opinions (like two guys who could kill each other, because one votes for Manchester United and the other for Liverpool) we'll never have peace. It's sad, but the truth unfortunately.

Aquarius
9th Oct 2002, 23:18
Originally posted by Godfather

It must have died along with John Lennon, I guess.

Anyway, as long as people don't share mutual respect and stop hating each other for their religion beliefs, skin color and plain opinions (like two guys who could kill each other, because one votes for Manchester United and the other for Liverpool) we'll never have peace. It's sad, but the truth unfortunately.

Look at Iraq. Bush is right on the verge of war with Iraq, and why? Who knows really. There really is not logical reason as to why we're going to war, except that Bush is power mad and insane. That, and the fact that Bush is a bigot. He's trying to cover it up, otherwise, do you think that Bush would really have as diversified a Cabinet as he does?

Predetermined judgment, racism, prejudice, hatred, we'd be better without them. Like you said, we'll never have peace as long as these types of things exist. It's a social injustice, that may never go away.

I'm suddenly reminded of an essay on a test I took over Macbeth. I had a question about power and corruption. You had to elaborate on a quote from Lord Acton and how it applied to Macbeth. The quote was, "Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely." That says it right there as to why there's so much chaos in the world. Greed. People will do anything for power. Kill, discriminate, ruin lives, anything for power.

Actually, again, in Macbeth, Macbeth becomes so power hungry that he kills everyone who gets in his way, even his best friend.

There is too much war, because the moral principles and standings of people have become corrupted by our own greed. Bush isn't going to war for the good of the world, he's doing it because he's greed. He's even said, this is a pre-emptive attack. Iraq hasn't done anything to the US, or even other parts of the world that an attack would be called for.

"Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely"

John Carter
10th Oct 2002, 04:22
OK, this has degenerated into mudslinging.

Political ideologies and their propagation are not allowed here, due to their divisive and un-gamely nature, as per the ruling of Grey Mouser on some earlier occasion.

I will say, in closing, none of you really know anything about war from experience, and be glad you don't. I thank God my own taste was as relatively light as it was, especially compared to the average experience of a combat infantryman in Vietnam.