PDA

View Full Version : New Mission - Hyperspace Station

Hand-E-Food
3rd Oct 2002, 05:51
Are you tired of sitting in the one place, waiting for all the traders to come to you? Are you sick of the same old scenery, going a round and a round and a round? In the tradition of StarTopia mods comes something new. You need the...

Hyperspace Station

Jumping from system to system, trade with the planets directly. Pick up passengers from far-away ports. Discover the universe with the Hyperspace Station.

To receive your free Hyperspace Station, please contact us at hand_e_food@hotmail.com and we will send back your very own Hyperspace Station.

If you have any trouble with your Hyperspace Station, find any errors, or have any comments, please write to the above address, or reply to this post.

If you would like to host the distribution of the Hyperspace Station on the Internet, feel free, just let us know so we can feel smug inside.

Startopiafrance
3rd Oct 2002, 19:48
send it to the Post, you will have a biggest success

Hand-E-Food
3rd Oct 2002, 23:39
What is this "Post" I keep hearing about? What am I missing?

DMA57361
4th Oct 2002, 16:51
The post is here http://www.strategyplanet.com/startopia/

It's the main community web site for the game.

Hand-E-Food
21st Oct 2002, 03:31
The Hyperspace Station is now at the StarTopia Post. The version they have is a little old (a couple of revisions have been made since). I'll send an update when I send the Hyperspace Station MkII.

JSWY
23rd Oct 2002, 14:35
A very good mission! Keep up the good work :D

cryptophore
25th Oct 2002, 08:02
I grabbed the version off of the post, pretty good! Came across a bug where I was continuuing from a save file and the messages got corrupted. I'll have to see if it repeats or was just windows being screwy again...

Stargazer
25th Oct 2002, 19:13
Very good mission.
I like it a lot.

Good work. :cool:

Stargazer.

cryptophore
26th Oct 2002, 20:40
This is a pretty cool mission. I love how even the outside starscape changes when you jump. Not so happy about the terrorist missiles. They are HARSH. Just had one take out my star dock. ouch.

Hand-E-Food
27th Oct 2002, 03:28
You'll just have to improve your Comsensor rating...

Hand-E-Food
27th Oct 2002, 04:27
Latest version is now available:

http://www.geocities.com/hand_e_food/HyperspaceStation.zip

I have contacted the post to change their link to here. Will advise when that has been done.

A few bugs have been fixed, including the text vanishing when you load a saved game, and solar flares sometimes not producing any energy.

Have Fun

AlphaOmega
27th Oct 2002, 04:29
Your link is broken. Email me the latest version if you want it posted.

alphaomega@strategyplanet.com

Hand-E-Food
27th Oct 2002, 04:38
Geocities is a bit slow with it's updates. If it doesn't work, copy the URL and paste it in the Address bar and click Go. It's something between Eidos and Yahoo perhaps?

I posted a picture elsewhere in the forum and it took about 15 minutes before the link would work.

Either way, the file is where the link says it is:

http://www.geocities.com/hand_e_food/HyperspaceStation.zip

AlphaOmega
27th Oct 2002, 04:51
And is also now availible at your local Post.

Check it out all, this ones GOLD! :)

Hand-E-Food
27th Oct 2002, 05:04
Okay. Now that I understand how Geocities (doesn't) work, I can get the links right now:

http://www.geocities.com/hand_e_food

I've tested it. It works. You can download it now. And you can also get it at the post.

Sorry for the confusion. In future, there won't be any more hopefully. I'm now going to do that washing I should have done half an hour ago.

cryptophore
31st Oct 2002, 02:31
Cool mission, but ... Is that it? 100 alien artifacts to the turraken system and its over!?!
Not even find out they're doing something interesting like trying to use those 100 artifacts to try some big jump to a long-lost holy site or something?

Hand-E-Food
31st Oct 2002, 08:46
I suck at writing plot lines.

I do have a sequal coming. It's a rip-off of Voyager.

cryptophore
31st Oct 2002, 19:47
I'm playing the mission again, with the new version. I notice it does the Crash-to-Desktop (CTD) thing a lot. Any idea what brought that on? it seems to be related to losing buildings to the missiles, but I've gotten CTDs for no apparent reason too. Any idea?
:confused:

Hand-E-Food
1st Nov 2002, 00:26
Eep.

I've never had a CTD with that mission. I'll have to check it out. It hasn't changed very much from the other versions. The only major change was that I hard coded the text instead of using the Text.txt file because the text kept disappearing when you loaded a saved game. Perhaps the Mish.txt is too big to handle safely?

Any thoughts, MuckyFoot?

cryptophore
1st Nov 2002, 17:32
for what its worth, i found out you could get the right messages (text.txt) in a save game if you first started a new mission of hyperspace station, and then loaded your save. Some kind of current directory state bug I think. I noticed this same thing in another contributed mission, but dont recall which.

:confused:

Hand-E-Food
2nd Nov 2002, 02:35
If that fixes the CTDs, I think I'll publish it that way. Thanks for your help.

cryptophore
4th Nov 2002, 02:34
well i dont know if it does or not. Frankly I stopped playing the mission, partly due to my own time constraints and partly due to frustration over the CTD's. I kept on recovering old saves and playing forward only to keep hitting a CTD at some point, which would require going a couple of autosaves back to get past. Was really annoying.

I do remember a glitch in one of the first messages of the mission. Looked like a truncated sentence.

Hand-E-Food
4th Nov 2002, 09:28
You're absolutely right. Quotes work in the Text.txt file, but not in the Mish.txt file. I'll add that to the list of things to do.

cryptophore
5th Nov 2002, 21:41
Well I wiped my hyperspace station install and tried playing again frmo the old version originally on the post, and still got CTD's. Seems related to the terrorist missile attack, but not sure. What happens if the missile gets jammed?

Hand-E-Food
6th Nov 2002, 02:38
It glides straight past the station. I think I might change the Comsensor skill level required to jam the missile. I've had it strike me without problem. It might be if it hits something like furniture, something that Mucky Foot probably never tested given they only made them hit the bio-deck. Perhaps I'll have to limit it to the bio-deck.

Oh well. If you want a program to work the way you want it, you have to make it yourself.

Thanks again for your help, cryptophore.

cryptophore
6th Nov 2002, 04:29
I took a look at the mish file, and I have never seen the jamming message. I suspected the icon (14?) was bad, and tried changing it to the meteor icon (9 i think it was), but that didn't seem to
have an effect.

I realy dont think its my machine -- I played an old sandbox save over and no CTD's.

Another odd data point -- I've only noticed the CTD's on games continued from a save...

Hand-E-Food
6th Nov 2002, 10:26
It wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure your machine is fine. The user mission part of StarTopia has been a bit hashed together at the last minute. It's still a very good system for what it is, though. Unfortunately, StarTopia doesn't have the base that Unreal Tournament has warrenting the 275 patch updates that they have. All I can sugest is:

Play the whole thing through in one session!!! Yaaaaay!!!

Or we can beg them to make the game more stable. Use the RSHIFTSPEEDUP cheat if you like. Takes away from the game, though.

scifilady
8th Nov 2002, 20:44
I just finished this new game for the 4 th time. I was able to finish the mission in 13 jumps.

DMA57361
3rd Dec 2002, 00:34
Hand-E-Food.

I just downloaded the file to nose at (I haven't played Startopia in ages so won't see how it plays). But you have some fine scripting in there. Linked in with your obviously good (well, mayB) imagination.

It looks like the mission would play a dream.

And you did something I never thought of checking! Blimy, I didn't check if the != operator worked . . doh.

Nice work. :D

Hand-E-Food
3rd Dec 2002, 01:32
Thank you all for all your feedback.

It almost makes me feel guilty for pausing production of the other mods. My attention span has drifted from StarTopia for the moment. It's starting to delve into Project Nomads instead (When is it coming out?! <twitch> The demo only offers so much...).

Regarding my imagination, my mind can bend the rules in any direction (except North by South-West). It can't write stories or plots however.

I'm happy to help out with anyone elses' mods, especially if you've got a decent idea for a plot. I'm not fussed about being credited. I just want to see great work come from the community.

Everybody keep up the good work.

kool_kats_rule
3rd Dec 2002, 19:33
Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
(except North by South-West)

South by south-east is better.

Hand-E-Food
4th Dec 2002, 02:07
Nah. Thant's where the train station is. There's too many chromers there.

Hand-E-Food
21st Feb 2003, 02:09
Missile Jamming patch for the Hyperspace Station

This will easy the pain of trying to jam terrorist missiles.

1) Open the mish.txt file in the Hyperspace Station folder with Notepad or your favourite text editor.

2) Search for the text :EventMissileStart

3) Scroll down 8 lines and change the line from:

Incoming Ship_Comms Respond MissileJam Within 60 Skill (17232 + (Rnd % 32768)) Icon IconJam "Mish_MissileJam"

to:

Incoming Ship_Comms Respond MissileJam Within 60 Skill (4616 + (Rnd % 16384)) Icon IconJam "Mish_MissileJam"

or, if that's still too hard:

Incoming Ship_Comms Respond MissileJam Within 60 Skill (1804 + (Rnd % 8196)) Icon IconJam "Mish_MissileJam"

4) Save the file.

This will mean that you have a 150% better chance of jamming the missile, or 400% for the second variant. I haven't tested this, so I don't know how easy or difficult this will be.

Lots of luck! Let me know how it works.