PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Thief: The Dark Project's The Lost City on the gladiator arena (lava pit)!

TRoosevelt_26
2nd Oct 2002, 03:08
I have retrieved the Talisman of Fire and now need the loot and the Water Talisman. But I am in the gladiator arena and I can't get back across the lake of lava because of the &%#$ sloped walls.

How do I get back?

PS - It is really great playing the T:TDP version of The Lost City as the fact of the two talismans is really played up, which of course was impossible in the TG:TDP version.

i.e.: a Keeper's journal talks about being in desperate need of water to cool the Talisman of Fire, and how they tried to use the Talisman of Water for that purpose and nearly destroyed them both. He also expresses thoughts on the possibility of ingesting the substance of the Water Talisman if things deteriorate sufficiently.

Cooooooool.

Peter_Smith
2nd Oct 2002, 05:00
By gladiator's arena, you mean that small oval area across the lava stream from the building with the craymen in it? On the same side as the tower that contains the fire talisman? If yes, and you cannot get back, then it appears that you did not extend the bridge that goes over the lava stream at that place. The bridge is extended by using the lever (which I am guessing you found elsewhere) into the machine in the basement of that crayman building (which I guess you did not find). Extending the bridge is the way the mission is designed to be played. Unfortunately, it is possible to jump over the lava stream there but not to jump back -- a bug in the design.

I believe you have only three choices: (1) revert to a saved game before you made the jump to the arena; (2) go back to the fire tower and jump over the lava stream there and mantle into the cave you can see on the other side; (3) restart the mission.

Number 2 is what I did when I made the same mistake the first time I played Lost City.:) It is a very difficult jump. I had to try it maybe 20 times before I succeeded. You must mantle quickly at the end. There is no way to do it without hitting the lava and taking a lot of damage. I forget whether or not I had or used a speed potion, but that's the way I got out.

Because of this bug, the Gold version has a return tunnel to take you back and onto the roof of the crayman building.

Good luck.:)

Telliamed_
2nd Oct 2002, 05:06
Ah, but at least Thief Gold doesn't let you get into the situation you are in now.

You see, you weren't supposed to jump across the lava pit in the first place. There's a bridge you needed to extend. What you should do is go back to a previous save, which may mean restarting the mission.

It is possible to leap across the lava pit around the tower of fire to the tunnel that leads back to the central area. But it's very difficult and you will lost nearly all of your health.

ah... you snooze you lose.

theBlackman
2nd Oct 2002, 06:58
The first question, of course, is how did you get there without using the lever (which may mean you have not found the crypt yet) to extend the bridge. Retrace your steps to get out. If you jumped across, and if you have a SPEED potion, then drink the potion, run like h3ll and jump back to the landing at the edge of the lake.

If you are on the island go away from the buildings. There is a path that leads up and around from there.

If my memory serves me correctly, you can get out by jumping across a narrow lava gap into a tunnel that leads around. I could be wrong but my memory is strongly suggesting this.

I don't have gold up at the moment. Two more days and I could give you detailed directions.

You are a bit too early. :D :D

EDIT: I loaded it to check my memory. I was correct.

Go back to the stone wall. About 15 feet to your right up the wall is a hole just across the lava. Jump in and follow the path to the building. Go as far up the left side of the building as you can and mantle on to the roof.

There is a hole that will drop you into the building from which the bridge normally extends. There may be a guard in the first room you come to. If you have not been in the building there will be a guard at the bridge, two downstairs and the one at the top.

The opening you see in the floor drops to the next floor and you can sneak out.

TRoosevelt_26
3rd Oct 2002, 01:30
Thank you all for the helpful and quite depressing hints.

It's been so long since I played The Lost City that I forgot about the bridge and just jumped across to the arena (what a jump!) and kept going.

Darn.

TRoosevelt_26
3rd Oct 2002, 01:42
I loaded up the T:TDP version of The Lost City (miss9.MIS) into DromEd 1, loaded my saved game (I moved it from my T:TDP saves folder into my DromEd saves folder), Shift+Q'ed over the lava pit to the other side, saved and now am on my way again in T:TDP.

Ah, the wonders never cease. :D

theBlackman
3rd Oct 2002, 02:08
You could have saved a lot of work if you just went back away from the building and up the stone wall to the hole. :D :D

Squid
3rd Oct 2002, 06:32
Well, it actually is possible to get back across that jump. However, you're gonna get burned. Bad. What you end up doing is jumping across the lava as far as you can do, and as soon as you hit the lava, jump again, hit the far wall of the lava moat, and mantle up. I had to do this myself.

Squid2

TRoosevelt_26
3rd Oct 2002, 14:47
Originally posted by Squid
Well, it actually is possible to get back across that jump. However, you're gonna get burned. Bad. What you end up doing is jumping across the lava as far as you can do, and as soon as you hit the lava, jump again, hit the far wall of the lava moat, and mantle up. I had to do this myself.
Squid2

Good idea (I didn't know it was possible) - but I only had 4 HP at the time and no healing or speed potions, so jumping into and out of lava would have been unfeasible.

BTW, did you know that the patch from v1.14 to v1.33 was supposed to fix this? People had been jumping across the bridge area and so Looking Glass put - of all things - a skillet imbedded in the wall where people would jump across the place where the bridge was supposed to extend. After the patch, when people jumped, the skillet bounced them into the lava. Makes you wonder why they couldn't have done a Lost City block (3D mesh: lcstone2) instead of a skillet. With DromEd one could certainly give a block the bouncing properties of a skillet. :confused:

Anyway, the way I got across was actually (on my second try, only!) by jumping from the bandstand area which is parallel to the arena - not across the bridge extension area. I guess Looking Glass didn't think it was possible although it wasn't really that hard a jump (though a friend here at college who is a Half-Life junkie couldn't believe the jump when I made it).

Zaccheus
6th Oct 2002, 08:37
Originally posted by TRoosevelt_26
I loaded up the T:TDP version of The Lost City (miss9.MIS) into DromEd 1, loaded my saved game (I moved it from my T:TDP saves folder into my DromEd saves folder), Shift+Q'ed over the lava pit to the other side, saved and now am on my way again in T:TDP.

Ah, the wonders never cease. :D

OMG!!!

You can look at your saved games in DromED?
I never knew that!

theBlackman
6th Oct 2002, 08:46
Originally posted by Zaccheus

OMG!!!

You can look at your saved games in DromED?
I never knew that!

LOL. Ve Get zo zoon olde und zo late Schmart! :D :D