PDA

View Full Version : I think I know why Raziel only feels displacement at certain times... (SR2 Spoilers)

Raz
30th Sep 2002, 18:40
Okay, I don't know if this has been said before but here it goes... :)

Throughout Soul Reaver 2 Raziel feels displacement when the wraith form of the Soul Reaver and the physical form of the Soul Reaver come into contact. Now, a lot of people have asked why Raziel doesn't feel this displacement constantly as he is always walking around with his soul on his arm. Not only that, but it doesn't seem Raziel felt this displacement around the Reaver whilst he was a vampire. Here's why...

Raziel only feels displacement when the wraith form of the Soul Reaver and the physical form of the Soul Reaver meet. He doesn't feel it when he has the wraith form of the Reaver equipped or when he encounters himself as a Sarafan. He doesn't feel it when Kain draws the Soul Reaver in the Sanctuary of the Clans and he doesn't feel it whilst around the "blood" Reaver obviously, as his soul has yet to be absorbed into the blade.

Raziel feels the displacement when he first enters Willaim's chapel, when "History and Destiny Collide" and when his twin soul hovers both inside and outside the Reaver blade.

The big question is, why does he feel displacement only when these two specific forms of the Soul Reaver come into contact? :)

Anubis_Orr
30th Sep 2002, 18:52
I believe it's referred to as the 3rd-person temporal rule, now right at the moment I can't explain, but I'll try to find where I read it and get back to you.

Time Streamer
30th Sep 2002, 19:56
For the Sanctuary of the Clans part, I believe the logical explanation is that Raz didn't feel it because he didn't have the Wraith Blade coiled around his arm yet at that point.

Raz
30th Sep 2002, 20:12
Anubis_Orr:

I believe it's referred to as the 3rd-person temporal rule, now right at the moment I can't explain, but I'll try to find where I read it and get back to you.

Thanks! :D

Time Streamer:

For the Sanctuary of the Clans part, I believe the logical explanation is that Raz didn't feel it because he didn't have the Wraith Blade coiled around his arm yet at that point.

Uh huh, exactly... ;)

Lozza Mate
1st Oct 2002, 09:18
I asked this question ages ago and it's my opinion that the displacment occurs only with incarnations of the Reaver becasue the reaver is (for lack of a better word) 'special' it doesn't make any sense that this should only occur with the reaver (or at all for that matter).

If it happens with the reaver then it should happen with everything else in existance but it doesn't.

I believe that this only happens with the reaver blade because that's just how the story goes, or in other words: The writters just made it like that to fit the story (possibly one of the only large flaws in LOK logic)

ah well, best to just forget about it

Anubis_Orr
1st Oct 2002, 09:53
k, I've found where I read it [Note the character is Chronos the incarnation of time, even though it is a fictional book the theory is sound:

Chronos was the only entity who could travel in time and he was largely immune from paradox--but there were limits. His easiest way was simply to proceed along his natural life course, backward to the date of his birth. It required magical effort to reverse his direction and match that of ordinary people, as he was doing now, more effort to travel through historical time, and more yet to take physical form and act in such a time. But the magic of the hourglass made it possible, and he could indeed change reality by changing the past. But in such cases, he was there in two persons--himself in the original, normal life, and himself in his return as Chronos. Doubling himself was in his power, it had to be, for him to use his power effectively. But tripling himself was another matter; then he was making a third appearance at a given time, interfering with himself as Chronos, and the potential for paradox magnified exponentially.

I apologize for the length, but I felt it better to be clear....

The key thing to remember is that at any time after Kain broke the physical Soul Reaver on Raziel he has been bound to his own soul. So where ever he goes there is in essence two of him, his wraith blade and his physical/spectral appearance as well see it. The only time we see the Temporal displacement is when there are three Raziel's in close proximity. Now you may ask then why was there a temporal displacement at the end of SR2, well the answer is because the wraith blade began to enter the Blood Reaver changing it into a Soul Reaving weapon however the Wraith blade is both inside the Reaver and still attached to Raziel's arm making there three instances of Raziel's soul. It's not the physical Reaver that causes the displacement it occurs because there is another instance of Raziel's soul. It's not the form that matters.

That's how I see it anyway