PDA

View Full Version : Alien Breeding

Gemslug
30th Sep 2002, 16:03
In a review of Startopia I read that the Aliens can breed and produce more aliens-is that true? Because I haven't seen it happen.

DMA57361
30th Sep 2002, 16:35
No. It's false for most.

However a Skasher that is allowed to live too long will die and produce several Memau. Which is effectively reproducing (as those Memau can make more Skashers to make more Memau, etc)

cryptophore
30th Sep 2002, 21:04
But the amusing thing is if there's other skrashers around, they will kill the memau. I discovered this in my InfeStation mission, as a new segment is opened with skrashers and memau inside it, and the first thing the skrashers do is slaughter the memau. Very sad to see all the memau corpses there...

Binro_the_Heretic
1st Oct 2002, 03:39
Originally posted by cryptophore
But the amusing thing is if there's other skrashers around, they will kill the memau. I discovered this in my InfeStation mission, as a new segment is opened with skrashers and memau inside it, and the first thing the skrashers do is slaughter the memau. Very sad to see all the memau corpses there... A simple rule of survival.

Eliminate competing members of your own species to reduce competition for resources and thus ensure the continuation of your own bloodline.

Skrasher's don't attack each other because they're too evenly matched.

Another simple rule of survival.

Never get in a fight unless you know for sure you're going to win.

cryptophore
1st Oct 2002, 18:53
Good explanation for it.

So in my mission with the horde of skrashers and memau, it leaves the player with the dilemma of do they let the skrashers slaughter the memau or not (well not eraly, killing a memau markes a skrasher as a criminal and peeps then staart going after it). Save the memau and the player will be faced with it spawning a skrasher later, if it gets enough trash to eat.

Gemslug
9th Oct 2002, 19:13
I did some research and found the magazine I found it in. It was a PCGameplay (or PCG as it's now known as) mag and it mentioned breeding in a preview (and in Startopia preview movie). So was this intended as a feature of Startopia or made up by PCG?:cool:

Azuriel
9th Oct 2002, 19:13
dude! i read that magazine too!

so you must be either belgian or dutch

Gemslug
9th Oct 2002, 19:31
Nope. I can't tell you where I am. If I did I'd be arrested the next day. Anyway. I guess this proves i didn't imagine it. Wonder if they made it up?

Azuriel
9th Oct 2002, 19:35
i think they talked about the fighting pit too...

maybe they just got a list of features and, well, some of em got cut.

Gemslug
9th Oct 2002, 19:43
I don't remember that- it was probably in there though. By the way I'm looking for fighting pit pics. Got Any?

Gemslug
9th Oct 2002, 19:52
Do you think they took the Skrasher and Memau idea from Gremlins? It's not exactly like this but for every Skrasher you get you get 7-6 more memau!

cryptophore
9th Oct 2002, 21:49
one more t hing about skrashers breeding memau. ITs not just time based, it has moer to do with how much damage/skrashing the skrasher has done. Leave skrashers alone in an empty segment and they'll last more or less indefinitely. They dont disappear into a litter of memau unless they get something to attack.

Hand-E-Food
9th Oct 2002, 22:50
Memau eat litter to produce Skrasher eggs.
Memau plants their eggs on aliens to incubate inside and Skrashers bust out when they grow too big.
Skrashers eat rooms and peeps to produce Memau.

So Memau can reproduce via other aliens.

Gemslug
10th Oct 2002, 15:35
Ok, did more research and dicoverered the video was in the magazine a month before the Startopia review. So that means it might have been implamented a month before Startopia's release!:eek: :eek: