PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading? Never again!!

Lyril
30th Sep 2002, 11:11
I'm majorly annoyed. I've just spent lots of money upgrading my computer, for the third time, to something like: Pentium 1.7g motherboard, 512 SDram, GForce video card, just to play Thief more successfully. Well, that's what I thought would happen.

It took three attempts to install TG and T2. It wouldn't allow full install (so I could play without the cds). A relatively minor hassle.

The sound card, Avance AC97 won't allow EAX, so my 6 speakers are reduced to one. Not as good as the Soundblaster Live.

And for some reason, the T2 patch won't install. I get the message: "cannot determine version of T2 installed". What the hell does that mean? As far as I know, there is only one version of T2 available, which I've installed from the originals, not copies. How on earth can I convince my shiny new computer to play Thief? Properly, with the patch?? Every other computer use is incidental to this one.

What on earth can I do? Beside throwing it out a window and reading a book.

I think I'll just have to go back to text adventure games. (But I am just at the end of Karras' Diary, and I want to try the lava room . . .)

Were computers invented just to increase one's frustration levels?

LeatherMan
30th Sep 2002, 12:27
Originally posted by Lyril
Were computers invented just to increase one's frustration levels? No, but the Windows OS was. :rolleyes:

Vanguard
30th Sep 2002, 16:38
You sure that you actually GOT a sound card? The AC97 (Audio Codec 1997) spec was intended for very low-grade audio support, usually in the form on a onboard chip on the motherboard. I don't think you got a sound card at all, just a simplistic chip on the motherboard. Some onboard chipsets are pretty good and support 4.1 or 5.1 audio and Digital Dolby (but they *emulate* EAX in software algorithms). But if your sound "card" just says AC97 for audio support, it can't do what a 4-year old SBlive card can do. You need to buy a REAL sound card, one that slide into a PCI slot, and disable the motherboard audio.

You did not mention which operating system you are using. The Indeo codec install seems to get continually corrupted by Windows XP: you install the codecs, Thief runs fine, you reboot your machine, and now the movies and cut scenes don't play anymore until you reinstall the codecs (i.e., you have to reinstall the codecs to play all of Thief after you reboot Windows XP). Users of Windows 2000, especially corporations, have seen little need to "upgrade" to Windows XP because it's just Windows 2000 with extra crap loaded atop the same kernel.

If you installing on an NT-based operating system, you did use the -lgntforce parameter when installing, right? I've also heard that Thief is pretty dumb when calculating the free space on a disk drive and might think there isn't enough room. One cure was to keep duplicating directories until their files consumed enough disk space to push the disk usage count past some boundary (probably 2GB), install Thief, and then delete the dummy directories. You have to wonder about the rationale of programmers that try to save a couple extra bytes of code rather than use a longer integer, especially since they are not programming in tight assembly.

If you installed T2 in a directory that isn't common, like in its default path or under \games, the patch may not be able to find the game. I don't think it bothers searching all directories of all your drives. So copy the patch into the install directory for T2 and run it from there. And make sure you downloaded and are applying the correct patch. The patch for TDP won't update T2 and the patch for T2 won't update TDP.