PDA

View Full Version : International Conversations

Godfather
29th Sep 2002, 21:56
Dear Tomb Raider-colleagues *sappy moment is coming up*, we have always been talking about Lara Croft, Kurtis Trent and the entire Tomb Raider-saga. We have always been talking about ourselves, our disgusting habits and our best characteristics, but ... I don't remember any of us actually talking about the country or city we come from. I mean, I know DaveJ is from England and I know that Raider Sunrise is from Turkey, but I don't know anything specifically ... and that bothers me! I would like to know you all a bit better than I already do!

So: what do I suggest? We write something down about our country/city that may interest foreigners; a reason why people should/could/would come to your country. I don't expect you to write a book about it, but a few lines would be nice! And to keep this thing from dying (unless after my post no new ones are written down, I'll kill it off myself!), you could write your text in the colors of the flag of your country. For me (which is Belgium) you'll be reading my text in colors: black, yellow, red! Actually I should be writing the text vertically (since the colors also run that way unlike the German flag which is: black, red, yellow and they run horizontally), but when I do that, I feel that I'm gonna waste too much space! :D Personally, I don't know how countries such as England and the USA are going to color their text, but I know they'll come up with something. Here we go:

When you come over to Belgium, there are in fact four big cities you can visit. Well, … there’s big and there’s BIG! These cities are no Paris, New York or London, you know. The first one’s Brussels. It looks kinda dirty and very gray, but like every capital, Brussels has got some very nice places such as boulevards with nice, little cafés where you can drink Belgian beer and try to pick something up from the languages people speak: Flemish or French! One of the things you surely have to see when coming to Brussels is the Atomium which attracted 42 million people back at the world exposition in 1958 which was then called: Expo 58. I personally think it’s a magnificent building and it’s about the only one in Brussels that can measure up to the Big Ben in London, The Eiffel Tower in Paris and The White House in Washington. Those are all beautiful and important buildings.

(this next one may be too hard to read, but when you scroll over the text with your mouse it becomes white and readable)
Secondly, there’s “Manneken Pis.” World famous for his vulgarity yet honesty in which the words of Jeff Goldblum in “Jurassic Park” always seem to come to mind:” When you gotta go, you gotta go.” When you go to his site (yes, the little one HAS his own site), before you actually get to see him, you’ll see the words popping up the screen: Be careful! He’s small … but he has no decency! … almost as if it were a movie. It’s been stolen about 8 times and one of those thefts was a bet between students. Last but not least: there’s also the Montgomery Square situated in the more beautiful zone in the city. It’s a fantastic fountain: not extremely high, but quite big and it brings some sort of peace with all the traffic pushing and shoving around it. They may very well be other great things about Brussels, but that’s as far as I know. I’ll let anyone else from Belgium (living in Brussels or knowing more about it) provide you with any further information.
Two cities that I can’t tell you much about are Gent and Brugge. Again: I hope that anyone else from Belgium in this forum can provide you with this info.

The greatest city in Belgium is most likely Antwerp. (Do I sound like I’m from Antwerp?) :D It’s got everything you need. When people come to Belgium for sightseeing, they usually first go to Brussels. I don’t get upset for that, because Brussels IS the capital of Belgium after all. But Antwerp is just as great to visit and so: when you DO visit Belgium, just be sure you do these two cities. Because when you haven’t, you can’t say you’ve actually seen my country. You really need to visit these cities to get an honest impression of what my country is like. With its 123 m. the cathedral in Antwerp is the biggest building in Belgium. It may not be as big as some of the skyscrapers in America, but it’s just more than a building; more than steal and bricks. (This is not a personal attack on America, so I apologize if it feels that way. I’m just trying to prove that the cathedral was built for religious beliefs and skyscrapers purely for business reasons) Once inside the cathedral, you’ll witness (what people in Antwerp like to call) a forest of stone! Inside this ‘big church’, you’ll get a chance to see the history of Antwerp put in scene and many paintings by the famous painter Rubens.
Antwerp is also world famous for its diamonds (many thanks to the Jewish people), the statue Brabo who is throwing away a giant’s hand (notice how he stands on his right leg and throws the hand away with his right hand; a movement which is quite impossible to do!) and last but not least: the Belgian river Schelde.

I’d like to end with telling you where the name Antwerp comes from. It originally comes from “Aan ‘t worp” which translates itself as: “On the worp” and the ‘worp’ is where the Schelde begins. It is to say that it is there that Antwerp begins. There’s also a second explanation which is linked to its legend. I’ve told you about Brabo. Well, he throws away the giant’s hand (there’s more of a history to it, but I don’t really remember the whole story) and so the name Ant-werp comes from “Hand-throwing” or in Dutch “Hand-werpen” which was eventually reduced to “(H)and-werp(en)”.

Well, that’s about it! I hope I haven’t bored you too much (I probably did, I’m afraid!) And if this is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas, I’ll delete this post myself. But I thought it’d be nice to know something about a foreign country and allow the people who live there inform you about certain, interesting characteristics of that country or city.

Now, who’s next?

Aquarius
29th Sep 2002, 22:34
Well, I'm from the US. Need I say anything more? lol

Specifically Flushing, Michigan. To find Flushing in Michigan, first, turn your right hand palm towards you, and just point your thumb out. Now come down your pointer finger, and stop when your left finger is a little higher than the bottom of your thumb. There!! That's Flushing!! :D That's the greatest thing about Michigan, the only place in the entire world where you literally live in the palm of your hand. :D

Well, some stuff specifically about Michigan, well this could probably end up being really bad! lol Our state capital is Lansing, for those of you who don't know. It sometimes is called the capital of the wilderness, as Michigan was the first state daring enough to build it's capital literally in the middle of nowhere. It's a fairly beautiful city, I don't know what else to say about it. It's the home of the Michigan State University Spartans (although I personally don't care for MSU :D) which is probably one of the biggest party colleges you'll ever find. lol Some of the larger cities are Detroit, Ann Arbor, Saginaw, Bay City, and Flint. I live just 10 minutes away from Flint, or as I've come to call it, 'the Ghetto'. You'll never find a poorer big city than Flint.

Michigan has had quite a lot of famous people come from here. Serena Williams was born in Saginaw, Madonna in Bay City, Lily Tomlin in Detriot, and also Todd Beamer grew up right here in Flushing. For those who don't know, Todd Beamer was the one who on September 11th, fought against the terrorists on Flight 93, and coined the phrase 'Let's Roll'. Oh, and KidRock (lol!) is from Detroit too. lol Detroit has had quite a few famous people come from there. I think KISS was from Detroit too. Starting to sound like we have a lot of 'good' people huh?

So how about my city specifically. What does Flushing have that no one city in the country has? Well, Flushing is officially known as the 50s capital of the world. Woohoo! Go us! We're stuck in a time warp! lol I honestly have no idea how Flushing got that name, but it just did. :p You may not like the people of Flushing though, we're rather stuck up. And well, we kind of have a good reason too. Flushing is probably one of the richest cities you'll find in this area. Most of the other schools in the region, think of Flushing as being the 'prep' school. lol I guess that we kind of are. :D I don't know what else to say about Flushing. It's nice. Really beautiful. The city is divided in two by the Flint River. So there is Lower and Upper Flushing, literally speaking. One part of Flushing sits atop of a cliff. The other half, is quite low, and sometimes in the spring, after the snow melts, and if there's a lot of rain, the areas around downtown that are near the river, are flooded, well the park is anyway. So come to Flushing! I don't know why you would, but come anyway!

DarkangelKS
29th Sep 2002, 23:42
i live in the united states....i live in New Jersey which is right by New York....actualy i live about 20 minutes away from NYC....well one little fact about New jersey that i dont think anyone knows is that the statue of liberty is actually in new jersey and not new york, but everyone just says that its in new york...i dont kno why...i live in Paramus and the houses here are very expensive because everyone wants to live here because it has fast access to new york (as stated above) there's like 30 malls in this town alone (actually like 6) and its still very boring here....by the way...paramus means wild turkeys in native american (indian) lol

i would've colored this but i have no idea how...i just tried and became extremely confused

John Carter
30th Sep 2002, 03:33
Originally posted by Godfather
For me (which is Belgium) you'll be reading my text in colors: black, yellow, red! Actually I should be writing the text vertically (since the colors also run that way unlike the German flag which is: black, red, yellow and they run horizontally), but when I do that, I feel that I'm gonna waste too much space! :D Personally, I don't know how countries such as England and the USA are going to color their text, but I know they'll come up with something. Here we go:

[COLOR=black]Well, that’s about it! I hope I haven’t bored you too much (I probably did, I’m afraid!) And if this is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas, I’ll delete this post myself. But I thought it’d be nice to know something about a foreign country and allow the people who live there inform you about certain, interesting characteristics of that country or city.

Now, who’s next?

Actually, GF, that's a pretty good idea and one of your better ones. I enjoyed the Belgian travelogue, thanks. Been to Belgium once, myself, spent the day in Bastogne, where the forbears of my old army division made their sucessful stand against the vastly superior numbers of the V Panzer Armee. Really enjoyed the Belgian beer, the one brewed by monks, forget its name. :)

As for where I am, Barsoom is cold, red, and dry, and you really need a breathing apparatus there, despite what they say in the tourism adverts. ;)

rocconorth
30th Sep 2002, 07:20
Well I'm from the United States as you can see...maybe you've heard of it?:p

I'm from the state of Califonia which is the third largest state in area (Alaska and Texas are 1 and 2) and the largest in population. It's a very diverse state in geography. In some places you can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon. In southern California at least, the weather is almost always good. It rarely rains and it's sunny almost all year.

Finally, I live in a city called Bellflower which is located about 20 miles from Los Angeles. All the main tourist attractions of SoCal are within about a half hour of Bellflower (ie. Disneyland, Hollywood, Universal Studios, Mac's Place, etc.). So really...there's not too much to do here.:p

I can't imagine anybody out there wanting to come here. Am I wrong?:D

DaveJ
30th Sep 2002, 08:05
Leeds.
Birthplace of Nell McAndrew, Malcolm McDowell, Alan Bennett, Peter Firth, Mel B and me.
First ever moving film images shot here in 1888.
Home of the Royal Armouries (used to be in the Tower of London).
Has a yearly Film Festival (I attended the first one back in 1986).
Home of Tetley's Brewery. :D
Home of the Henry Moore Gallery.
Leeds is the business capital of Yorkshire and the Humber, one of the largest economic regions in the UK. The third largest manufacturing centre, it has also grown into one of the top financial and legal centres in Britain.
1st place outside London to have a Harvey Nichols store.
Our football team has been home to the likes of Vinnie Jones, Eric Cantona, John Charles, and the legendary Billy Bremner.

Godfather
30th Sep 2002, 10:03
Very interesting stuff, people! Keep 'em comin'!

Originally posted by John Carter
Actually, GF, that's a pretty good idea and one of your better ones. Tell me somethin' I don't know. :D Oh ... and it's Godfather not GF (you start to sound like some MTV-rapper, JC!) :D :rolleyes: ;) j/k (= just kidding)
Hey! Did you know you had the same initials as that wholy man who could turn water into wine? Cooool!! Can you do just the same thing as HE did? :D

I enjoyed the Belgian travelogue, thanks. Been to Belgium once, myself, spent the day in Bastogne, where the forbears of my old army division made their sucessful stand against the vastly superior numbers of the V Panzer Armee. Really enjoyed the Belgian beer, the one brewed by monks, forget its name. :)[/B]

Well, I've never drunk any alcohol so far (it tastes like pure poison) and so I know as much of alcoholic drinks as I know of the sexual habits of Brazilian hamsters ... (almost) nothing! What I can do is give you a few names of Belgian beers I know of and maybe (just maybe) the one you've enjoyed is one of those. Here we go: there's Maes pils, Duvel, Hoegaarden, Stella Artois, Leffe, Kriek Bellevue, ... there are many others, but that's as far as my knowledge goes ... :)

THE True Lara
30th Sep 2002, 10:56
Well, it looks like I'm now British'er number two to write so, being completely waffley, here goes….

I was born in Lichfield in Staffordshire which is in the middle region of
England -well not actually born there, because there's only what's ter-
med a 'Cottage Hospital' and being my mother's first born child she had
to go the larger hospital in Sutton Coldfield in case of complications.
What's so fab about Lichfield? Well afterling there for all but 5 years
of my life it's very much a everyone-knows-everyone atmosphere, it's
classed a 'City' because of it's cathedral, but it's really the size of a town.
The Cathedral actually was the heart of intrigue back in the day. At the
time of the civil war it wasmore like a fortified castle. And there are se-
cret tunnels and cattacombs running underneath the streets of Lichfield
dating back from even before that. -There are also ENORMOUS caverns
that no one knows how they got there! and it's a miracle parts of Lichfield
haven't simply caved in over the centuries.

Tourists go there generally because of the Cathedral and also because
it was the birthplace of Dr. Johnson -who wrote the English dictionary.
And also it's really quite nice. Well, it was nicer. Unfortunately the housing
developments have gone mad there, they've built practically every where,
on the farmers' field, the strawberry fields, even the cricket pitch! It's just
a hideous sight to see all these horrible badly built monstrosities going up
over the green belt, and over the places I used to go to as a child, in a decade or
so we can all see Lichfield becoming another suburb of Birmingham (45min
away by train). The residents are all naturally furious and have no idea how
the developers are getting the planning permission, but still, it goes on.

The disastrous and continuing development is partly why 5 years ago I mo-
ved down to Sherborne in Dorset, -a tiny little place with a lot of history and
fewer people (about 10,000 -most of which are pensioners ;) ) and which
has not one but two castles! :D Imagine my joy when ]I found out.
The first (known as the 'Old Castle') is ruined -literally (and by far my favou-
rite) it's had many occupants over the years but is known best as the home
of Sir Walter Raleigh, as the castle was gifted to him by Queen Elizabeth
(the 1st ). But when he fell out of favour with her he started building another
castle for himself just across the trickle of a river there is running past Sher-
borne. This is known as the 'New Castle' clever eh?Luckily he completed it
just in time, before Lizzy came along and knocked down the old castle! The
New castle is still completely intact and owned by the Digby Family who own
practically everything in this area, through hereditary means and so forth.

The other thing the tourists come to see here (and we do get a surprising
amount of 'grockels' as we call them) is the Abbey in the center of town, that
has terribly impressive fan vaulting on the ceiling. No monks there now, I'm
afraid, but there is a monastery down the road -I saw my first monk the other
month, sounds silly I know, but I was very chuffed. Looked just as you'd expect
brown robe, sandals, Sainsbury's shopping bag and all, but apparently they
wear trousers underneath, which I think spoils the image somewhat?
There isn't much I the way of shops in Sherborne (though we do have 3 private
secondary schools?!), so most people will end up popping over Yeovil just
over the border, which is a hideous grubby place, and best avoided.

And that's about all. I've probably waffled on for too long, and it's not nearly as succinct as Dave's, but thanks for bearing with me :)

In summary;

England is great! :D

Godfather
30th Sep 2002, 11:06
Very interesting to read; both for its contents and color! :cool: How long have you worked on this thing anyway?! :D

Prelude
30th Sep 2002, 11:12
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t have time to read this thread, it’s soooo long, and I am leaving for California in 2 days and I have loads to do before then. (yes rocconorth I think it’s worth going there, I have heard a lot about Mac’s Place, it sounds good) So can someone just summarize what this is about and tell me. Gee thanks very much, most grateful. :D

Busy girl, gotta go!

THE True Lara
30th Sep 2002, 11:26
Originally posted by Godfather
Very interesting to read; both for its contents and color! :cool: How long have you worked on this thing anyway?! :D

You don't want to know, suffice to say I read your post at at about 8:40am, (my time) I wasn't even a 1/4th way through when I say Dave had posted in front of me, and when I finished I realised it gone midday adn my friend who pop's round in her lunch hour on Monday would be on the door step any minute wondering why I'm still in pjamas! :eek:
So I'm off to make quick cuppa and a crisp sandwich before she get's here! ;)

And Prelude, we're talking about where we live.
Have a nice time in Cal'.

THE True Lara
1st Oct 2002, 21:37
No one else coming for a natter?

Prelude
2nd Oct 2002, 01:06
Erm, I live in Hertfordshire, home of Hatfield House.

Sorry that's all I got time for :D

BTW TTL, the colour in that post is awesome, it must have taken you years to do that, kudos.

the_internet_king
3rd Oct 2002, 18:16
i live in england - bridgnorth (near birmingham)

birthplace- no 1 special
special things about bridgnorth - its boring
anything else u need 2 no- no

lol i live in 1 of the most boring towns in britain:o

THE True Lara
3rd Oct 2002, 21:33
Oh my god, no! :eek: My Aunt & Uncle live in Avaley just outside of Bridgenorth!
Coo.

LARAMANIAC
3rd Oct 2002, 22:42
Originally posted by THE True Lara

You don't want to know, suffice to say I read your post at at about 8:40am, (my time) I wasn't even a 1/4th way through when I say Dave had posted in front of me, and when I finished I realised it gone midday adn my friend who pop's round in her lunch hour on Monday would be on the door step any minute wondering why I'm still in pjamas! :eek:
So I'm off to make quick cuppa and a crisp sandwich before she get's here! ;)

And Prelude, we're talking about where we live.
Have a nice time in Cal'.

Badda Bing TTL!!!!! (hope thats how you spell it)!!! Take my hat off to you girl, that is one beautiful piece of prose!!! Gorgeous and ROFLMAO at the quote above!!!! That is sooooo like me - I get so caught up sometimes, especially on a Sunday I can still be in my jamees at teatime thanks to our little chats!!!! Congrats on the post its gorgeous!!
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/angel09.gif
think DaveJ ought to pass you a cherrybakewell as a reward!! :p

THE True Lara
4th Oct 2002, 13:27
Originally posted by Aquarius
Well, I'm from the US. Need I say anything more? lol

Specifically Flushing, Michigan.
wait a minute, I've just remembered, that's where the Rutles first went on their US tour!
Yeah The Rutles!
*screams hysterically, then faints*

+
Thank you so much LARAMANIAC! (and Prelude) :) It's so nice to hear a compliment like that. :D
-you can pop your hat back on now though, if you'd like, I wouldn't want to catch a head cold ;)
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who gets side-tracked ;)
Thanks again :D :D

.....and as for the Cherry Bakewell, I wouldn't dream of depriving Dave of one! ;) :p

DaveJ
4th Oct 2002, 14:18
Oh pish....you deserve one for that work of art!

THE True Lara
4th Oct 2002, 14:28
Coo, thank you! :D *blush*

rocconorth
4th Oct 2002, 18:12
wait a minute, I've just remembered, that's where the Rutles first went on their US tour!
Yeah The Rutles!
*screams hysterically, then faints*

"It's Rutles day in Flushing!!! If you call me up and say you wanna hear anything except the Rutles I'm gonna come looking for you!!! They're gonna be here talking about their trousers. The scene is hear in Flushing!!! All eyes are on Flushing!!! It's a big, big day here in Flushing!!!"

Bill Murray The "K"

Polar_Andromeda
6th Oct 2002, 14:54
Ok, well, getting back into topic...

I live in Washington, DC, the greatest city in the world, in my opinion! I've visited many other places, but I always find myself comparing them to DC, and DC always wins in my mind. It's just a cool place to live :cool:. I live in downtown DC, which puts me about 4 or 5 blocks away from the White House, and even less blocks away from many internationally renowned museums. Plus the metro (subway) is just by the corner, and Martin Luther King Library (the biggest public library in the metro area) is a little further on. There are also many places to shop, plenty of cafes, and lots of beautiful sites to visit. We also have lots of festivals and celebrations in the Mall. The only thing that is a bit off-putting about DC is that it is one of the first places, if not the first, that will come to harm if something bad happens, simply b/c we have the prez here, and b/c it's the most powerful city in the world. But that won't stop me from loving DC. :)

EDIT> And we also have PARTY ANIMALS!!! Literally. Anyone know what I'm talking about???

Godfather
6th Oct 2002, 15:23
Originally posted by Polar_Andromeda
EDIT> And we also have PARTY ANIMALS!!! Literally. Anyone know what I'm talking about???

Are you referring to the Muppets? :D

Henry
6th Oct 2002, 20:06
OK im new around here and you havent heard about me anything,yet,but you soon will;My english is bad so dont mind if say something stupid.Heres my story-Ilive in Estonia,its capital is Tallinn.I live in small place called Mustla,what is in (oh crap i dont know hot say this)state Viljandimaa.Possible that ya havent heard about Estonia and dont know where it is so i will tell about what it is famous-Rallydriver Marko Märtin,(Get ready here comes funny word,Im sure it isnt right)sportsman Erki Nool and ofcourse Estonia won the eurovision-Tanel Padar and Dave Benton.Ofcourse there aro more staff what about Estonia is famous but i cant remember what.Oh yeas i almost forgot it Estonian flag-
-----------------------------------------------------
whitewhitewhitewhitewhitewhitewhite
Thats it I wont write enim more, no one reads anyway my crappy story.:cool: :cool: :cool:btw if someone cares i may wrote more!

THE True Lara
7th Oct 2002, 12:51
Hey, that's lovely Henry.
Thanks for sharing, that's why the thread's here after all.
I can understand your English fine. You know what they say, practise makes perfect! :)

Raider Sunrise
7th Oct 2002, 14:55
Okay, as Godfather mentioned, I'm from Turkey. Well, Turkey is a beautiful country, with a lot of historical places and museums to visit if you like to learn about history. Or if you like sand, sun and sea, you can visit western/southwestern Turkey for a great holiday.

Even though the capital is Ankara, the most famous city of Turkey is Istanbul in northwestern Turkey (but I don't live there). Istanbul is the most crowded city of Turkey, with a population of almost ten million. The city is famous for its nightlife as well as its history.

The city I live in is Izmir, a city in western Turkey. It's the third biggest city of Turkey. It's the birthplace of no one famous as far as I know. I love Izmir, it's a great city to live, mainly because the climate is great. It's nearly always sunny. Also, there are many places that teenagers can go and have fun, especially Alsancak and Karsiyaka are favored because there are a lot of shops, fast food restaurants, movie theaters and such in these places. Izmir is a city that was established at least 5000 years ago, so there are many historical places near it, including the ancient city of Ephesus, which houses the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the world.

OK, that's all I can say I think. :)

And the Turkish flag...

http://www.mmihire.com/images/turkish%20flag.jpg

Henry
7th Oct 2002, 17:59
Hey, that's lovely Henry.
Thanks for sharing, that's why the thread's here after all.
I can understand your English fine. You know what they say, practise makes perfect! :)

Thats nice.I thought that no one understands what I say.:) :)

THE True Lara
7th Oct 2002, 18:03
I often think that no one understands what I say, ...but it's not because my English is bad ;)
You just carry the way you're going and you'll be fine!

**angelic**
7th Oct 2002, 20:12
I LIVE IN OXFORD

I would make it all interesting but I don't have the time...actually I might as well try
:)

Lalala history stuff:
Well I was born in Ilkley which was a beautiful but boring town/village I dunno. But anyway, I moved to Oxford and I love it lots and lots. It seems to be a bit of a boring pointless town but it really is a gorgeous place to live. The architecture is amazing, the bulidings are sooooo beautiful and I love The Natural History museam because its so big and light. Ummm, it apparently has the best Uni's in Britain, but that might be Cambridge, I DONT KNOW!!! But anyway you will be happy to know that Oxford is named from the thingy that I can't spell pronounced Ford that people used to take their Oxes across. Thats actually true, seriously. There's a lot more stuff about history but I can't write more.

Stuff I like
Well there is LOOOADS of stuff I like in Oxford but the places I like most are Uni Parks: Its sooooo gorgeous with acres of lush green grass with loads of flowers and millions of green trees and a biiiiiig lake which i stand in in the summer feeding the swans with my frienfds because we're not allowed to swim. And you can go punting in the rivers and watch the people doing some kind of medatating. I also love the road next to my road, Lakeside, Its loads of gorgeous houses next to a lake and in the autumn I can go and walk by it and watch the leaves fall down from the trees. I sound really obsessed actually so I'll stop talking about stuff like that. OH and I also like shopping. It's a bit gorgeous. Those are the main things basically.

Oxford doesn't have any foods...any landmarks...OH YEAH tourits go to Oxford a lot, you can't walk a step without them getting in your way IT ANNOYS ME SOOOOOO MUCH!!! But I don't have anything against them. Well thats all I can actually think of and I've written something long and boring for you all to read and I'm sorry. Thas my basic thing about Oxford. Thankyou aaaaaand Goodnight.

Oh yeah sorry, I use gorgeous and beautiful too much.