PDA

View Full Version : The Fan Fiction Contest

Binky
26th Sep 2002, 16:51
Introduction:
A week has passed since my last post in this thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5512
that had transiently become the thread for planning the Fan Fiction Contest; I have, therefore, taken the liberty to assume that most of the rules have been, more or less, agreed upon... And thus would like to invite everyone to this first edition of the contest.

Although this is done merely for fun, I still believe that some rules should be introduced; and although I hate playing the part of the watchdog, it seems that it is up to me to enumerate them... Please do kindly note that I have never really organised anything like this, so there may be some things which you may consider either trivial or ridiculous or with potential loopholes here; I would be grateful for advice. Until the voting commences, things will probably be potentially changeable.

(These rules are partly courtesy of Lady Kreliana and Umah Bloodomen; my gratitude and apologies to you both.)

Therefore, without further ado,

The Rules:

1. The contest is retroactive up to '96.

2. Deadline for submissions is Sunday, October 13th.

3. And the deadline for voting is Sunday, November 3rd.

4. Only completed fanfics are accepted.

5. Only spell-checked and at least basically preformatted fanfics are accepted.

6. There are two major categories: Comedy and Drama. Comedies will be awarded for Best Fanfic: Comedy.

7. Judging by how many fanfics are submitted, the Drama category either will or will not be divided into subcategories. The subcategories, if in existence, will be: Romance, Action/Adventure, Drama. Still, I'm already asking you to write into which subcategory your fanfic would go...

8. Dramas will be awarded for the following aspects (where applicable):

Best Fanfic: Drama
Best (read: most like the in-game) Kain
Best (read: most like the in-game) Raziel
Best (read: most like the in-game) Umah/Ariel
Best Original Character

If subcategories are introduced, there will be the following votes:

Best Fanfic: Romance
Best Fanfic: A/A
Best Fanfic: Drama (subcategory)

From the three winners, the altogether Best Fanfic: Drama will be chosen.

The other votes will be unchanged, that is for all the Drama fics taken together, not for the particular subcategories.

Which means that there will be at most (1+3+1+4)=9 votes. Unless someone has an idea for an additional award I haven't thought of.

9 (IMPORTANT). So, a submission should look somewhat like this:

Author's name
Link to the fic (preferably with its name)
Major Category (either Comedy or Drama) and the potential subcategory (Romance, A/A, Drama)
Any remarks you may have about the fic (Anything goes here: for instance, if there is no Umah and no Ariel in the fic, and you are kind enough to inform me about it afore, I'll be really grateful.)

10. I'm kindly asking that you do not submit all and everything you have ever written; just what you think is the best. This is more a guideline than a rule; but I think quality is better than quantity, especially considering rule

11. I'm kindly asking that whoever decides to vote to read everything submitted (of course, as divided by categories; not everyone likes drama, not everyone likes comedy).

12. The voting will be by polls.

13. Anyone who submits something, please watch your PMs. I'll try to pre-read things quickly to see if everything's all right with the format, or if you need to improve something pro publico bono...

Which brings me to

14. If someone has time to help me, I'll be grateful. (Please either PM me or use the thread from the top; I'd rather that this remained the thread for submissions.)

and

15. If you believe I'm really in the dark about some aspect of the grim reality, please either PM me, or use the thread from the top of this post.

and

16. Because of rules 8 and 15, some things may change; all will be really set up only on the day the polls are up. OK?

I hereby announce the First Legacy of Kain Fan Fiction Contest (at least on these boards) to be open. Let the games begin!

Lady Kreliana
27th Sep 2002, 02:19
I also have a suggestion. Why don't we put this contest off until after the fanart contest? I know that wasn't really discussed, but that way people who're in the fanart contest can get their fanart done, then work on a fanfic. Maybe the contest could officially start Oct 20th. These can just be the ground rules or something.

Umah Bloodomen
27th Sep 2002, 03:28
Originally posted by Lady Kreliana
I also have a suggestion. Why don't we put this contest off until after the fanart contest? I know that wasn't really discussed, but that way people who're in the fanart contest can get their fanart done, then work on a fanfic. Maybe the contest could officially start Oct 20th. These can just be the ground rules or something.

Well put, Kreliana. :)

Power reaver
27th Sep 2002, 10:46
Does the fic have to include a LOK character or is it OK if I do the fic on Ancients or Hylden , characters that I have made but ones that are still by origin , belonging to LOK . :confused:

Umah Bloodomen
27th Sep 2002, 18:24
Originally posted by Power reaver
Does the fic have to include a LOK character or is it OK if I do the fic on Ancients or Hylden , characters that I have made but ones that are still by origin , belonging to LOK . :confused:

Aren't Ancients and Hylden LOK characters? :rolleyes: :p

Power Reaver, the idea of a fic is to be LOK-related in some way. Original characters that you create inhabiting Nosgoth or related to something LOK (take Kreliana's fic about Raziel's sister for example) is acceptable.

Chris@Crystal
27th Sep 2002, 18:38
I also agree that the Fan Fiction contest should run from Oct. 15-Nov.15th. This way the 2 contests will not be happening at the same time. Might even give me some time to rustle up some other LOK prizes to give out for the Fan Fiction contest. Also in the future, if anyone decides they want to start a contest, please clear it with me before starting it. If you would like any judges from the BO or SR teams, let me know. Thanks.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Umah Bloodomen
27th Sep 2002, 18:44
Originally posted by Chris@Crystal
I also agree that the Fan Fiction contest should run from Oct. 15-Nov.15th. This way the 2 contests will not be happening at the same time. Might even give me some time to rustle up some other LOK prizes to give out for the Fan Fiction contest. Also in the future, if anyone decides they want to start a contest, please clear it with me before starting it. If you would like any judges from the BO or SR teams, let me know. Thanks.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Now that would be a cool idea. (Having BO/SR team judges). Just like the art contest. Providing you all have the time of course, I am not opposed to such a thing.

The polls that Binky suggested would still work of course for the fans to get in on it and weigh their personal opinion, but I think that the final vote should be cast by those that have brought us all here in the first place. ;)

I simply enjoy the feedback on the fics. ;)

I pretty much lost faith in the fan voting system over the last couple of responses concerning it. :rolleyes:

**bats eyes all cute-like**

Chris@Crystal
27th Sep 2002, 19:04
Umah,
Do your eyes get tired after batting them all the time? ;)
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Umah Bloodomen
28th Sep 2002, 03:22
Originally posted by Chris@Crystal
Umah,
Do your eyes get tired after batting them all the time? ;)
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

I think, Chris, that the question is:

Do you get tired of me batting my eyes? :p

Considering that I only bat my eyes to a very select few..nope, not tired at all. ;)

Chris@Crystal
30th Sep 2002, 18:54
Umah,
I think it is cute. Makes me wonder what you are like in person. ;) Don't stop batting, it always makes me smile. :D
~The Butterfly Lord

Riovanes
1st Oct 2002, 04:01
Count me in... I actually have a prayer here.

BAH!!!

Divine Shadow
3rd Oct 2002, 12:12
I just wanted to offer my support to this idea. I think a fan fiction contest is a very very cool idea, and the possibility of the fics being judged by members of the Legacy of Kain teams is an exciting one.

For people like me, who have the artisitic talent of a dead grape, this gives me a chance to enter something.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Binky
5th Oct 2002, 11:14
"The artistic talent of a dead grape" :D
This describes me quite accurately as well, LOL.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I agree with Umah on this:

Now that would be a cool idea. (Having BO/SR team judges). Just like the art contest. Providing you all have the time of course, I am not opposed to such a thing.

The polls that Binky suggested would still work of course for the fans to get in on it and weigh their personal opinion, but I think that the final vote should be cast by those that have brought us all here in the first place.

I simply enjoy the feedback on the fics.

I pretty much lost faith in the fan voting system over the last couple of responses concerning it.