PDA

View Full Version : Janos Audron on Broadway! (well, not quite...)

Apocrypha Roxy
25th Sep 2002, 01:51
A Phantom does the fangdango

Was reading the NY Daily News this afternoon, and found a most interesting article in the Arts & Entertainment section, by Patricia O'Haire. Read on; I'm quoting word for word the entire article.

It has been 14 years since Michael Crawford first donned the mask that turned him into the Phantom of the Opera. Now he's ready for another disguise, as Count von Krolock, a mysterious bloodsucker in the new musical comedy "Dance of the Vampires."

The show, based on Roman Polanski's 1967 film "The Fearless Vampire Killers," also stars Mandy Gonzalez and Rene Auberjonois. It opens Nov. 21 at the Misnskoff Theater (previews begin Oct. 14).

"I'll be wearing fangs and heavy makeup this time," said Crawford during a recent rehearsal. "No one's going to recognize me. This count has a sense of humor. The Phantom never did."

Crawford never loses his smile as he talks about learning how to sing through his fangs.

"It wasn't hard at all," he says. "Funny thing is, I've never really been a fan of horror films or monster movies, yet here I am, first being a phantom, now a vampire."

The show's composer, Jim Steinman, has a multiplatinum track record as the writer of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and other songs for Meat Loaf. Steinman co-wrote the book for "Dance of the Vampires" with David Ives and Michael Kunze.

"Dance of the Vampires" comes here from Germany, where it has been running for almost five years. It is that country's longest-running musical.

Asked at the rehearsal if he had ever met a vampire, Steinman replied, "Oddly enough, no, though I've lived a vampire's life for the last 45 years or so."

He added, "But if I did, I would refrain from sucking blood. I'm not against others doing it, though. With me, it's strictly a dietary thing."

Cool, right? The article also included a small picture of Michael Crawford and Mandy Gonzalez in rehearsal of the show, aptly subtitled: A Comical Vein. :D

This is so cool, I hope I can go! I've always wanted Janos' autograph! :D

I was thinking (wow, there's something new):
How about we all have a NYC LoK Meet-&-Greet for the Thanksgiving weekend? Just a thought...

Preacher
25th Sep 2002, 18:38
Hmmm... This could be good or bad. Speaking from an LoK fan viewpoint of course. While it's always good to hear what the LoK voice talent is up to, this can only mean 3 things, two of them very bad:

1) The SR3 team is so far ahead they're done with the voice recording. :D

2) The SR3 team haven't got as far as to start the voice recording yet. :(

3) Janos isn't in SR3! :(

Of course, I could be wrong on all three...

Embla
25th Sep 2002, 21:43
"The Fearless Vampirekillers". I remember seeing this film years ago. It was really funny. I loved it.

FierceClaw
26th Sep 2002, 08:12
Originally posted by Preacher
Hmmm... This could be good or bad. Speaking from an LoK fan viewpoint of course. While it's always good to hear what the LoK voice talent is up to, this can only mean 3 things, two of them very bad:

1) The SR3 team is so far ahead they're done with the voice recording. :D

2) The SR3 team haven't got as far as to start the voice recording yet. :(

3) Janos isn't in SR3! :(

Of course, I could be wrong on all three...

They could probably fly him out when he has a few days off to do the voice recording. It shouldn't take too long to do.

Apocrypha Roxy
27th Sep 2002, 00:25
Yes, I think they'll just 'ring him and he'll pop over for his lines, & be back for the next show. Don't forget he'll probably have an understudy to take his place in an emergency.

I strongly doubt that Janos will not be in SR3. Not with the cliffhanger at the end of SR2.

However, this could be the final installation in the series (cowers defensively in case forum friends decide not to be friendly and pitch old produce at me). Whether or not it is, they're going to do intensive dialogue to tie up some loose ends, and someone has to write all that cool stuff before Raziel can start droning on and on (I mean that in a good way, c'mon - you know he never shuts up!). Thus they might not be as far along as we'd like. It doesn't matter to me, as long as they make a great game that's all that I care for.

(thinks of Janos singing on a stage, and collapses in fit of giggles) :D