PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Laws

atifkazi
24th Sep 2002, 20:54
Hello, im Back,

Well, do you know if using "1" Copy of 'Commandos 2' on more than one computer infrindging copyright laws?.

WOW i just saw on Channel 'FIVE' in the UK about a week ago
The film called 'SAVING PRIVATE RYAN'
WOW that film is HEAVY!

Longshot
24th Sep 2002, 21:23
Although I like the idea of not having to put in a disk when I want to play C2, I don't think that's your intention.

I'm guessing you want to install it onto a friend computer so you can play it together without your friend having to buy the game.

If this is the case, they obviously can't stop you, but then again it doesn't help the gaming community.

ragsy
25th Sep 2002, 03:05
interesting question

if you own two computers and you like to play C2 on each of at different times...

Like ones at your mums place, and ones at your dads place (asuming for this example that they live separately - which is not that uncommon)

Are you breaching the copyright

Xcom? got an opinion, or maybe this could be refered to GM

Red Mage
25th Sep 2002, 06:24
Haha, asuming mother is mad at dad and tells her son. go tell your dad to play commandos 2 online I want to show him a thing or two. "plat" "plash" .

tltrude
25th Sep 2002, 06:37
IF you have two computer you can play because the patch did away with the need for the CD.

Thorup
25th Sep 2002, 09:17
You don't need the patch to play without cd.

and I think that this topic is getting close to a discussion about illegall copying.

Mike_B
25th Sep 2002, 10:42
Originally posted by Thorup
You don't need the patch to play without cd.

That depends, if you have the American version you need the patch for it. As long as that second computer is yours I think there's no problem.

1shot1kill
25th Sep 2002, 11:38
What if a friend of yours borrows the game? What if you rent it at a videostore or library? Someone else gets the game on his comp then too, there is nothing you can do about it anyway, if he does it on 2 comps of his own there is nothing wrong for sure.

atifkazi
25th Sep 2002, 17:31
You People are straying from the subject, and no one has even answerd question properly!.

I Have no intention of commiting illegial actions!.

I want to know that using 1 Standard Commandos 2 Game is it able to be used on more than one computer.

Xcom
25th Sep 2002, 17:54
Why no one ever bothers to read EULA? :rolleyes:

Basically, it says you may install it on 2 computers provided you only play (run the game) on one computer at a time.

Thorup
26th Sep 2002, 09:00
That's laim. just play the game on both computers, nobody cares

Twitch
26th Sep 2002, 16:53
Hey if Bill Gates and Microsoft's stuff like Office, Word, Excel and that can legally be put on something like 10 machines before you must buy additional copies in you business environment then why the heck does anyone care what you do in privacy of your own home? I have the above mentioned Microsoft stuff on my desktop and laptop and the Gestapo hasn't busted in the door yet.

BTW atifkazi- one thing that can't be depicted on screen is the smell of death on battle fields. When we'd come across the aftermath of one in-country after a couple days or more the smell of VC rotting is something you never forget. The stench hovers about a meter above the ground thickly. A nearby artillery hit or bomb makes a concussive force so strong it make you lose all control of your bowels and your nose and ears bleed as well. Private Ryan did go a long way in realism though.

Grey Mouser
26th Sep 2002, 20:31
Originally posted by Thorup
That's laim. just play the game on both computers, nobody cares

'My Name is Nobody'....ever see it? It is a pretty funny movie (http://www.teleport-city.com/movies/reviews/westerns/nobody.html)!

atifkazi - Xcom has it right. In theory, you can only play One instance of Commandos 2 at a time any way (unless you have several very long arms and two heads...hey, you never know) so you would not be breaking copyright law by installing it on two different computers that you own.

Thorup is also correct in saying that it is unlikely you would get in to trouble if you install it on two systems...but we do care if you install it on 10 of your friends PC's and even though they like it they never buy the game...that sort of activity could eventually lead to certain smaller game developers and publishers closing up shop because they go bankrupt. Hypothetitical but true so...let your conscience be your guide.

1shot1kill
27th Sep 2002, 02:33
It's definatly hypotetical, because those people get the game on their comp might not have bought the game anyway if they didn't. Every year when selling numbers are coming out all companies shout we lost that ammount of money because there are that ammount of pirated copies, but they forget that most people would not even buy the game so there is not so many money lost. For the critics i'm not saying pirating isn't bad but saying that every pirated copy is lost money for the companies is paranoid.

rickter
27th Sep 2002, 02:58
most people would not even buy the game so there is not so many money lost

Saying companies should mellow out about pirated software because the dude who pirates their software wouldn't buy it retail anyway sounds like the logic of that dude...Oh, and it sounds like the logic of a stupid person as well...geez

ragsy
27th Sep 2002, 07:24
Originally posted by Xcom
Why no one ever bothers to read EULA? :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha

As if......

I estimate you are the 1st user unrelated to the games development that has read it. :D :D

Thanks for the info though :)

1shot1kill
27th Sep 2002, 14:45
Originally posted by rickter

Saying companies should mellow out about pirated software because the dude who pirates their software wouldn't buy it retail anyway sounds like the logic of that dude...Oh, and it sounds like the logic of a stupid person as well...geez

How do they lose money if the person who got a pirated version would never have bought the game if he didn't get his pirated version anyway? Pirated games are not good but if of a game that costs 40 dollar 10 pirated versions get made it's not like the game distributors lost 400 dollar because most those people would probably never even buy the game.

Twitch
27th Sep 2002, 15:12
I worked in the CD replication industry for many years and got the industy reports on illegal copying. Believe me, the main target is Microsoft titles and music CDs. Games aren't even a factor. People with counterfeiting operations do not spend the up front money to buy a replicating machine and disc printer to make illegal copies of games. They make Windows 2000 and such. The equipment costs BIG $$ to start with and there's no profit in making illegal copies of a few minor games. In the music indusrty they produce ilegal copies and sell them off shore. In China nobody asks if the Celine Dion disc they bought is legal.

THAT'S where the real illegal replication problems lie and always have. It's like being afraid to tear off the tag on your pillow that say "do not remove under penalty of law" which applies to distributors and retailers. Relax!

Xcom
27th Sep 2002, 16:55
Originally posted by ragsy
I estimate you are the 1st user unrelated to the games development that has read it. :D :D

Ironically, this is not far from the truth.

psst, I actually read it so I could answer the question in this thread! ;)