PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy races and development

RiverOfTime
30th Dec 2012, 03:31
What happened to the switches. I remember the first, how they had dwarfs, elves, vampires, werewolves and such came about, but then later came moogles and bangaas, viera and nu mou. I don`t get how in 14 we get cat people and we lose the other older race choices. And the crystals, that stood, but in some, I don`t remember remarks of them, and sometimes they would change in amounts and virtues, like how it went from the transition of the four elemental ones to the five crystals of the races. Also, I am going to stick to this one thing, but when I played ff12, moogles looked cute, but reasonably realistic, but now and then they revert them back into the usual cartoonish looks of them. Even their purposes change. They are partners to espers to playable characters to npcs. The reason I think about this so hard is because I`d really like to make a moogle character in my lifetime. XD What is everyones thoughts on it and explanation to the whole trade-ups?

MagiusNecros
30th Dec 2012, 10:28
Each Final Fantasy takes place on a different planet and thus different groups of races. As of recent, XIII is a rather limited and miniscule world with very few races of diversity even among monsters.

RiverOfTime
31st Dec 2012, 23:50
That makes sense, but moogles are always there and there was visual evidence of them capable of communication and society systems for this next one. :P

Leaferian-379423
1st Jan 2013, 00:19
Moogles appear in III/3, as well as in every game past V/5. In many of the games they aren't 'real', but are rather folklore, fairy tales, etc. (Examples are VII/7, VIII/8, and X/10) There was a playable Moogle in Final Fantasy VI, Moogles were a selectable race in both Tactics Advance and Tactics Advance 2, and in XIII-2 a Moogle actually transforms into one of your main character's weapon. (Although Moogles appear to be from another reality in this game, and not a native race)

The races in XIV/14 are meant to be sort of dinstantly, dimensionally-related cousin species to the races in XI/11. This was (to my knowledge) the first time a cat-person race had been used in Final Fantasy, and there was precedent for playable beast races in characters such as Freyja from IX/9 or Kimari in X/10. Two of the other races in the MMO Final Fantasy games were fairly unique; The Galka where a gender-neutral hulkrace, and the Trau Taru despite being Gnome-esque were still fairly distinct in their physical make-up what with their crazy acorn-noses. It has already been mentioned by the developers for XIV that Viera ARE being considered among other possible race additions, so it's possible that Moogles would become playable at some point there as well.

RiverOfTime
1st Jan 2013, 00:26
Alright. X3 Heh. Do you think in later generations, whenever we got sensor goggles in gaming experience, that we could later interact with a world of gaming? Sorry. I just love .hack .

Leaferian-379423
1st Jan 2013, 00:41
Ahahaha, if that sort of future comes around then maybe.

I do prefer the XII moogles over many incarnations of the species. My favorite are those found in Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers which admittedly are one of the 'cuter' varieties, but they look like they could be real creatures instead of a moving stuffed toy.

magnaderalpha
5th Jan 2013, 10:55
Moogles appear in III/3, as well as in every game past V/5. In many of the games they aren't 'real', but are rather folklore, fairy tales, etc. (Examples are VII/7, VIII/8, and X/10) There was a playable Moogle in Final Fantasy VI, Moogles were a selectable race in both Tactics Advance and Tactics Advance 2, and in XIII-2 a Moogle actually transforms into one of your main character's weapon. (Although Moogles appear to be from another reality in this game, and not a native race)

Actually, ARE they real in FFVII. They dwell on Gaea's Cliff and you run into them(and their igloos) in your first venture snowboarding down the slopes. Note, this isn't the snowboarding game at Gold Saucer, this is the ACTUAL snowboarding segment WITHIN the game itself, meaning that, storywise, Cloud DID take a snowboard and escape the Turks at Icicle Lodge, and the whole snowboarding segment is what he encountered his way down. What you encounter differs based on paths, but you CAN encounter Mogs, meaning, they exist in FFVII's world and aren't fairy tales. They might be considered mythical, considering they live out in the middle of nowhere and have little interaction with people, but yeah, they exist. They are as REAL as chocobos and goblins.

Leaferian-379423
5th Jan 2013, 13:01

Actually, ARE they real in FFVII. They dwell on Gaea's Cliff and you run into them(and their igloos) in your first venture snowboarding down the slopes. Note, this isn't the snowboarding game at Gold Saucer, this is the ACTUAL snowboarding segment WITHIN the game itself, meaning that, storywise, Cloud DID take a snowboard and escape the Turks at Icicle Lodge, and the whole snowboarding segment is what he encountered his way down. What you encounter differs based on paths, but you CAN encounter Mogs, meaning, they exist in FFVII's world and aren't fairy tales. They might be considered mythical, considering they live out in the middle of nowhere and have little interaction with people, but yeah, they exist. They are as REAL as chocobos and goblins.

Incorrect, to my knowledge. If you're talking about these (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/7/7c/Snowboard_jump.jpg), then I see the misunderstanding. The Mogs you encounter on both snowboarding tracks are made of snow, and are obstacles for the course. I do believe this mentioned both in the guide and in the Ultimania. There is no canon appearance of a living Moogle in FFVII.

magnaderalpha
5th Jan 2013, 20:46

Incorrect, to my knowledge. If you're talking about these (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/7/7c/Snowboard_jump.jpg), then I see the misunderstanding. The Mogs you encounter on both snowboarding tracks are made of snow, and are obstacles for the course. I do believe this mentioned both in the guide and in the Ultimania. There is no canon appearance of a living Moogle in FFVII.

I don't mean the Snow Moogles, I mean the moogles you encounter if you go right/right. They live in igloos and sometimes run around the snowfield. On occasion, if you punt an igloo, it reveals a moogle that was inside, that sometimes gets mad and runs straight for you, causing you to trip. They are basically the same models as the Mog's House moogle. But yeah, it's actually come up in many discussions before, and most people think I'm talking about the Gold Saucer minigame, shaking it off as, "Well, that was a minigame, moogles don't exist in the ACTUAL FFVII world". Odd thing is, I can't find any videos on YouTube where the players have gone that route. All the players seem to go left first, then either left or right the second fork. You have to go right/right to see the moogles, making me think the popular route, by default is left, so many players seemingly miss them altogether. But yeah, they are there.

Leaferian-379423
5th Jan 2013, 20:55
I'd need to see screenshots or a video to believe that, sorry. I looked for two hours solid and couldn't find anything to back up your claim, except the snow moogles.

RiverOfTime
7th Jan 2013, 07:08
I wish I knew what the heeeeell you guys is talking about. XDDDD