PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable: Lara beat by Jap. Anime "Pei"

Island Girl
24th Sep 2002, 03:14
Aloha Everyone.

I just had to vent a little. My hubby just bought the iPaq Pocket PC. And he was downloading some games and little movies and stuff to go on it. Well, he knows how much I love Tomb Raider so he downloaded this thing that said Lara Croft. Well he showed it to me and it was going cool. Lara was in Japan and she was trying to get this sword. She retrieved it and then an alarm went off. Well naturally upon her escape Lara was kicking some face. Bullets were flying ninja's were dropping and then the next thing you know this chick jumps out of nowhere and starts beating down Lara. Grazed Lara's shirt with a bullet which left her topless (it was censored) and the next thing you know Lara was on the ground bleeding and KO'd. I couldn't believe it. And at the end the girl goes this place isn't big enough for both of us and then her name shows up on the side "Pei". I was outraged. Of course hubby didn't care for it either and deleted it. I was upset. I don't play much japanese anime games so I don't know who Pei is but why did they have to dis' Lara like that? They ain't right. What is up with that? Anyway, I just had to vent.:D :mad:

Love & Aloha

thanhkim
24th Sep 2002, 04:47
Yes I know what you mean I have a larger copy of that one but I only kept it cause graphically it was well done. But like you I hated the way it made Lara look dumb and lose all I was thinking was AS IF IN YOUR DREAMS MATE

DaveJ
24th Sep 2002, 08:08
I guess Lara can't be #1 in all countries round the globe....

I saw it a couple of years ago....very well done and very funny!

Island Girl
24th Sep 2002, 09:34
A couple of years ago. Gee, where have I been. :D Yeah the graphics was very well done. And you're right Lara can't be #1 in every country :p But can't they change the characters ;)

Love & Aloha

John Carter
24th Sep 2002, 12:05
I've seen that, IG. Lara-dissing is as much a global pastime as Lara fanhood. One's impact is measured by how much total attention you get, good or bad, maybe.

Too much panning around the city for my liking, Dave. I ain't no film editing expert, but I knows what I likes, and except for the overwrought cartoony machine-gunning scene, I didn't think it was that good. ;)

There's something about those big-eyed, childlike anime characters with overemphasized grown-up secondary gender characteristics that I find vaguely disturbing.

CatSuit&Ponytail
24th Sep 2002, 13:43
Originally posted by John Carter
There's something about those big-eyed, childlike anime characters with overemphasized grown-up secondary gender characteristics that I find vaguely disturbing.

Vaguely? Lucky you, dear! They send me absolutely 'round the bend, frothing at the mouth. http://www.catsuitandponytail.com/files/mad.gif I get quite feral....."Day-nger-u-us!" ;)

SMG
27th Sep 2002, 00:09
If you really want Tomb Raider on pocket-pc, the original Tomb Raider was ported for pocket-pc, and from the screenshots it looks just as good graphically.
I've never been into anime, and I find the big-eyed child-like faces on the sexualised curvy bodies kind of disturbing too; like the artists have some interesting fantasies. Not to mention, that alot of it I've seen has been poor quality.
I haven't seen the video, but the part about Lara's shirt getting ripped off seems distasteful. A big factor about Lara Croft being lambasted so commonly has alot to do with the fact that 5 full games were released in 6 years, with very little improvement to each game...the last game is basically the same as the first, with a refined engine, and some more moves. Besides that, Lara Croft has had success in not only games, but in media and non-gaming magazines.

DaveJ
27th Sep 2002, 07:39
But in Japan, anime rules the roost.

Its a matter of perspective.

And for the record, I'm not a fan of the big-eyed look either....but which video-game character (until recently) had the most dis-proportionately large eyes?

Why, it would be Ms. Croft herself..... not to mention the most OTT body proportions too of an overtly curvy nature...

Prelude
27th Sep 2002, 16:04
......do you mean she had *********!!!???

DaveJ
27th Sep 2002, 16:41
Thanks to data, I sadly have no idea what you were asking.

Egg-shells, Prelude....appropriate footwear.
:rolleyes:

Godfather
27th Sep 2002, 16:45
Originally posted by Prelude
......do you mean she had *********!!!???

No. She had ++++++++! :D

Prelude
27th Sep 2002, 16:47
All I said was, do you mean she had *********!!!???

Oh sod it I give up :rolleyes:

DaveJ
27th Sep 2002, 17:02
Having discovered what it was you said, all I can say is "over-reacting".

Those words have appeared in these forums many a time without a whiff of fuss over them.

Editing for the sake of editing....

Prelude
27th Sep 2002, 17:08
Agreed, in fact I have said them before.

CatSuit&Ponytail
27th Sep 2002, 17:11
Originally posted by DaveJ
But in Japan, anime rules the roost.

Its a matter of perspective.

And for the record, I'm not a fan of the big-eyed look either....but which video-game character (until recently) had the most dis-proportionately large eyes?

Why, it would be Ms. Croft herself..... not to mention the most OTT body proportions too of an overtly curvy nature...

Purrrhaps, purrhaps......but she was never ever kinder-fied. One never had any doubt about her being an adult. She doesn't have a smidgen of child-look in her. Even as a "Young Lara" she looked appropriately age grown and dressed. But whatever floats your toast or something like that, ;) Editted? Something was editted? What did I miss? :D

DaveJ
27th Sep 2002, 17:16
Oh I see what you mean...that whole adolescent look predominant in manga/anime is very creepy.

But no doubt there are elements to our culture that the East finds baffling.
:confused:

As to the editing lark, Prelude used an everyday, non-offensive term to corroborate my previous post. Very humourous...but only if one's emotion chip is activated.
;)

Cyber_Punk_303
28th Sep 2002, 03:02
Allright, i see where this is going... And i've seen it before, but i'm not gonna engage in this topic because it's too complicated.

I think it sucks that Pei kicked Lara's ass. They should have teamed up or somethng instead! But no... Lara's but an undisciplined, unhonourable, cheap, crappy, white girl. (i'm kinda insinuating something, i'm don't literally believe what i just said )

*cough cough*

Anyone know where i can download this clip??? I wanna see it, i can't find it on Kazaa.

I love anime!!!

Island Girl
29th Sep 2002, 08:04
Hey Cyber punk

Okay I say again this totally got my goat but since you asked and we are all ohana here my hubby found it at this site:

www.PocketMovies.Net

Scroll down the page and type in the search engine lara croft the hunter and there you have it.

Please don't enjoy it.:D

Cyber_Punk_303
30th Sep 2002, 01:48
Thank you so much Island Girl!!!

Godfather
30th Sep 2002, 10:35
I haven't watched the movie (coz I'm at work) but it sais it contains scenes of nudity? :confused:

Now, normally I'm not that interested in virtual nudity, but when it sais on top of that, that it's a spectacular adventure, I really wanna see that, man!! :D

DaveJ
30th Sep 2002, 10:58
It doesn't really.
Don't go getting your hopes - or anything else - up.

Godfather
30th Sep 2002, 11:07
Originally posted by DaveJ
It doesn't really.
Don't go getting your hopes - or anything else - up.

I read ya! :D