PDA

View Full Version : Timeline Connection of Final Fantasy

member_10637174
27th Jul 2012, 22:46
Final Fantasy in dissidia it said, it took warriors from across time and space right ? Will it makes you wonder what final fantasy characters have shared the same world than. I mean I know this is hard thing to think about but if you really think about it hard enough I see a few connections.

Like the crystal final Fantasy serise I honestly see alot of them coming from the same world because of the races they have there and the way the world is. Okay the world changes with time so not everyone will see it but time is played alot through final fantasy.

I mean we see most of the same monsters apper in final fantasy over and over I mean really there most be some connection with the games or something.

But that's just how I see this Final Fantasy like there world is either shown in another game or it's a alternate reailty we never know and that bugs me.

Anyway give me your thoughts on this please and leave your comments below.

new_tradition
28th Jul 2012, 02:20
I just accept each game is in it's own universe. It could be that it's a different reality of the same world, but they're still isolated from eachother.

Oh, there's plenty of throw-backs and maybe an easter egg or two if you look for it, but unless otherwise stated, there's no real connection.

Of course there are those quirky ones that kind of make you want to hope for some legit, canon connections, if only for the lulz.

Thanks to FFX-2, it's implied FFVII is the future of that world.

And with Dissidia, the ending of the first Dissidia game implies it's the set up for FFI (though the ending in the second game implies there's more battles after the 13th, or something).

There's a Dragoon in FFII named Ricard Highwind. Kain Highwind's father in FFIV is also named Ricard (and the little boy sprite we see in FFII is also a blonde like Kain), and there's Cid Highwind from FFVII that has the oh-so similar last name as those two other, but there's still no definitive proof those three are related *ponders*

As for all the games surrounding crystals being the same world, I'm not so sure. Again, I just see a bunch of throwbacks more than an actual connection. I'm trying to figure out how much time could possibly pass between the potential games that whole nations/kingdoms become lost/forgotten/erased, yet the technology remains similar nonetheless...

Bluehurricane11
28th Jul 2012, 02:31
I know they are separate but it seems like in each one it is like civilization is getting more advanced. 1-4 was early 5 was getting mor modern VI did not play. VII-IX seems like they are much more modern and 13 seem sort of high tech.

Azure
28th Jul 2012, 04:10
You don't have to concern about alternate realities and timelines and worlds . Even Square never thought about this . Every game is different and only share the name FF . FF VII is not future of FFX . If you compared everything . X-2 is just randomly have a little thing make people confused or Toriyama is running out of Idea so he have to use the old one .

Dissidia FF is only a fan service with a terrible plot.

member_10637174
28th Jul 2012, 14:52
You don't have to concern about alternate realities and timelines and worlds . Even Square never thought about this . Every game is different and only share the name FF . FF VII is not future of FFX . If you compared everything . X-2 is just randomly have a little thing make people confused or Toriyama is running out of Idea so he have to use the old one .

Dissidia FF is only a fan service with a terrible plot.

Will aculluy they agreed to the Final Fantasy X and VII connections

but yeah I see your point with Dissidia having a bad plot and the next dissidia made no sense so yeah I see where your coming from.

Automaton
28th Jul 2012, 15:07
A lot of these things being related isn't necessarily story and world continuity, but continuity to the brand of Final Fantasy.

With that said, it was pretty much confirmed in an Ultimania book that Shinra of the Gullwings was more than just a throwback nod to Final Fantasy VII, but we can consider the implications of his character as a far-off, theoretical version of Spira that we will possibly never, ever see.

It's interesting to think about, but I don't tend to want to break the surface thinking of these subtle links being anything more than that.

MagiusNecros
28th Jul 2012, 15:31
All worlds are connected through the rift.

And it is likely GILGAMESH has been to every single one.

Each world has their own separate rules that it follows.

The only connection FFVII and FFX have are vague similar concepts and a name of a guy. Not enough for Linking 2 games together.

iambasho777
28th Jul 2012, 17:27
The only connection FFVII and FFX have are vague similar concepts and a name of a guy. Not enough for Linking 2 games together.

...and the interview in which Toriama(?) said that FFVII is the future of FFX, Shinra started the Shin-Ra company, and the Farenheit from FFX-2 is the same ship that Cid salvaged in Dirge of Cerberus.

MagiusNecros
28th Jul 2012, 18:40
And Toriyama is such a great storyteller. And a majority hate Dirge of Cerberus. And I don't recall FFX and FFVII taking place on the same planet.

And if I recall correctly, the Ultimania states that the planets of FFX and FFVII are indeed different.

member_10637174
28th Jul 2012, 18:55
And Toriyama is such a great storyteller. And a majority hate Dirge of Cerberus. And I don't recall FFX and FFVII taking place on the same planet.

And if I recall correctly, the Ultimania states that the planets of FFX and FFVII are indeed different.

and time changes don't forget it could be 100000 years away from Xs timeline or something it's like do we look the same as in the middle ages or Rome time ? No time changes and it moves and races and animals change as part of evoution.

iambasho777
28th Jul 2012, 19:10

Just giving you the facts, no need to be a d***. Also, I never said they happened on the same planet. They are indeed different planets, but the games do fall in the same timeline as per confirmation of the guy who wrote the story of FFX and had a major role in FFVII.

MagiusNecros
28th Jul 2012, 19:47
If being a **** means stating facts then be prepared for many **** comments in the future.

Toriyama was a mere event planner. And he wasn't the only one either.

Automaton
28th Jul 2012, 21:47
To correct, it was Kazushige Nojima's quote in the X-2 Ultimania Omega: even still, you can get a sense from the VIIUO and X-2UO translations that it's even just speculation from the creators: confirmed to be something that could be possible but not as a distinct fact.

Both quotes are in this article (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinra_(Final_Fantasy_X-2)).

iambasho777
28th Jul 2012, 21:58
Really? My bad, I was misinformed, sorry.

Azure
28th Jul 2012, 22:09

and time changes don't forget it could be 100000 years away from Xs timeline or something it's like do we look the same as in the middle ages or Rome time ? No time changes and it moves and races and animals change as part of evoution.

Wrong . Everything in the past told in FFVII is different more than in FFX . I can swear that Shinra and his descendant cannot survive through 1000000 years or the technology , Idea about getting energy from Farplane can remain . Especially when Jenova attack . Even Crisis Core take place in FF7 Universe , It have many stupid addition which never have any connection to FFVII Original . Crisis Core feel like a different Dimension world more than a Prequel to to FF7 => The write even don't know what he is going to write

Ivalice is the only world that have many title take place in the same universe . Things in the world of Ivalice is linked very closely together despite undergoing several thousand years unlike FFX and FFVII . The only proof people said about is Shinra boy and some energy in Farplane .

If being a **** means stating facts then be prepared for many **** comments in the future.

Toriyama was a mere event planner. And he wasn't the only one either.

Yes , Toriyama is a man who was rejected to become a director by Sakaguchi

member_10637174
28th Jul 2012, 22:40
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Inter-... (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Inter-Game_Connections) read and you'll see the connections and shira could have been started some where in those 10000000 years it's a matter of time don't forget.

click the red words.

Azure
28th Jul 2012, 22:57
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Inter-... (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Inter-Game_Connections) read and you'll see the connections and shira could have been started some where in those 10000000 years it's a matter of time don't forget.

click the red words.

Sorry , your link mean nothing than just a Theory make by Fan . 100000000 years is long enough for everything reset to Zero . Shinra ore even Descendant is going to hell already .

Interview :

Kitase
"So, you could say [in terms of] time, Nojima-san decided to designate it to
act as a sequel to VII, if you follow me."

--"It's a sequel to VII!!"

Kitase
"Well, there was a joke right there. Simply put, in VII's ending, Holy came,
and the next thing you knew, it was over without closing things up, and then
it was the "500 years later" [scene] in the future. There's a large margin
buried there. A margin for the imagination. Nojima-san and Toriyama are going
to be filling something of that with VII, though, while they're at their best
and can do it."

--"So, will it become a sequel to VII's story?"

Nojima
"I have a strong feeling that they're going to be connected."

Now that doesn't sound like anything is confirmed. It doesn't even sound like they were being serious.

They didn't say there is a connection. In fact, the entire interview was just completely light-hearted and jokey.

The FFVII history is already set. It is specifically stated that ShinRa had no interest in the planet's energy until a few years before Crisis Core

As for Jenova , She had been travelling the universe and destroying planets for god-knows-how-long before she landed on Gaia. FFVII's world isn't special. It's just another planet for Jenova to destroy in the grand scheme of things.

member_10813590
29th Jul 2012, 14:06
Nojima "I have a strong feeling that they're going to be connected."

keyword"going"

if you look at his words he says connected and going, and plus you got too take from the words of dissdia taken from time and space.

Listen even if you say it was fan serverse look up it for with the word fan and serverse.

because Square Enix were planning to do that for a long time and they did it with war of lions also so it's not fan servers. Fan serverse would be like with couples or them doing something that kinda leads them away from character or something pevetred happening. Fan Serverse only goes so far and if you disagree fine with all have our theorys and views it's fan just pointing out how far fan servers goes.

And plus you got to think a little pit about fan serverse, was it fan serverse that made Sora and Riku look gay in kh 2 no it went with the story.

Was it fine serverse that put the idea of couples into there heads Yes !!!

Anyway look up the meaning of it and do some reserch on the word Fan serverse that goes for you both Yourworldpeople and Azure. Because no one will win this fight

member_10745919
29th Dec 2012, 22:30
This is out of pure curiousity, but here is what I think the timeline of all the Final Fantasy games are (this is not base on the release dates, but on the story): FF Mystic Quest...FFVI...FF: Crystal Chronicles Series...FF Brigade...FF Dimensions...FFI...FFII...FF: the 4 Heroes of Light...FFIII...FFV...FF: Legend of the Crystals...FFIV...FFIV: After Years...FFIX...FFXI...FF XIV...FF Type-O...FF Tactics Series...FFXII...FFXII: Revenant Wings...FFX...FFX-2...FFVII: Advent Childern...FFVII: Before Crisis...FFVII...FFVII: Crisis Core...FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus...FFVII: Last Order...FFVIII...Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy...FFXIII...FFXIII-2...FF Versus XIII...Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII...Dissidia Final Fantasy...Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy...Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.

Kuja9001
29th Dec 2012, 23:38
They're not connected in any way.

member_10628951
30th Dec 2012, 00:00
Um, the Final Fantasy games don't connect in any way, shape or form. It only has reoccurring elements. That's it.

new_tradition
30th Dec 2012, 01:09
First: even though OP said it was a listing for fun, it doesn't really have any rhyme or reason. They even put the anime OVA Laster Order AFTER Dirge of Cerberus O_o

Over-all I agree with the comments, but to be fair, a few games do connect (somehow).

Dissidia 013's ending implies it's before FF1 (mind*****, right?)

FFX-2 implies it's the past of FFVII (because FFVII wanted to connected to a game on top of the additional FFVII titles it has)

FFXII is the very beginning of the other Ivalice games (I actually don't have a issue with that, lol).

Anything else?

Grimoire
30th Dec 2012, 09:13
No, that pretty much sums it all up, new_tradition.

-FF - Dissidia and 012
-FFIV: The Complete Collection
-FFV and Legend of the Crystals
-FFX and X-2 - Compilation of FFVII
-Ivalice Alliance

For example, FFXIII, XIII-2 and LR*are not connected to TYPE-0 and Versus, and the Garland of FFIX is a different person from the Garland of the original FF.

Then, of course, there are plenty of "lesser" series, such as Chocobo's Dungeon and Crystal Chronicles.

MagiusNecros
31st Dec 2012, 18:12
If there is to be a chronological timeline of Final Fantasy, the answer lies with GILGAMESH himself.

member_10745919
1st Jan 2013, 14:03
Of course, but if you look at it, it sort of does play out like a timeline of the World of Final Fantasy. It began with FF Mystic Quest, then a few probably thousand years later FF VI happen so on and so forth.

dOCTORSNURK
4th Feb 2013, 08:49
We were debating about the order in which the final fantasy games on the series of events between magic and technology, we ordered the final fantasy games as this,

9,3,1,2,5,4,6,13(part 1 to 3),7,8,10(part1and 2),11,12.

Can anyone help us??

Thanks

Draevn
4th Feb 2013, 09:04
In some ways this would make sense.

The warriors of light were already legendary amongst everyone by the time of 1, and the crystals were prevailent in all of the earlier games. After they were destroyed in IV's final years magic began to crumble, requiring the harnessing of magitek to control it, eventually fading to the point of needing the physical remains (materia and VIII's magic item system) to be able to use it. This would also match up to the technological jump from V to VI. After Sin essentially destroyed technology magic again became more prevailent. Unsure on XIII though, I'd say it goes after 8.

Grimoire
4th Feb 2013, 09:48
See this thread:

Timeline Connection of Final Fantasy na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (/go/thread/view/139235/29606489/Timeline_Connection_of_Final_Fantasy)

-----------------------------

-Official Connections-

-FF - Dissidia and 012

-FFIV: The Complete Collection

-FFV and Legend of the Crystals

-FFX and X-2 - Compilation of FFVII

-Ivalice Alliance

-----------------------------

For example, FFXIII, XIII-2 and LR are not connected to TYPE-0 and Versus, and the Garland of FFIX is a different person from the Garland of the original FF.

Then, of course, there are plenty of "lesser" series, such as Chocobo's Dungeon and Crystal Chronicles.

moooka
4th Feb 2013, 10:10
This is not a timeline because it's can't be, I mean all are from different universes. If you mean in terms of technology, 13 should be the last one, it's more futuristic than any other one. Also, 10's Spira is not more advanced than 7 or even 6. I'm gonna say it's like this (minor spoilers ahead):

1, 2, 9, 3, Ivalice, 5, 10, 4, 6, 7, 8, 13

1 has very basic airships.

2's Dreadnought looks more advanced.

In 9, airships are more advanced.

3 featured the advanced airships and submarines.

Ivalice felt more advanced than 3's world. It's also medieval.

In 5, they were able to move to other worlds.

10 has basic machinery and an advanced airship.

In 4, they were advanced enough to reach the moon.

6 is not even medieval, there was a lot of machinery/trains and advanced magic.

7 is more advanced with fast trains and advanced weapons.

8 has even more advanced transportation methods, in fact, it's futuristic compared to our real world. And going to the space.

13 is set like hundreds of years ahead.

Draevn
4th Feb 2013, 10:27
That wouldn't match up with any other aspects of the series though. It's been mentioned before that Ivalice doesn't necessarily have to mean another planet, it could potentially just be similar to how the medieval times were a completely different world. This is all just theories for fun, of course.

Grimoire
4th Feb 2013, 11:03
There is an official statement by Nojima saying that Gaia (FFVII) is a different planet from the world of Spira (FFX). 1,000 years or so after the events of FFX/X-2, when space traveling became possible, the people of Spira traveled to the world of Gaia.

member_10745919
8th Feb 2013, 22:01
Dissidia ---->>> Theatrhythym Final Fantasy

↓

Dissidia 012

↓

Final Fantasy ----->> Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

↓

---------------------------- The Magic Era-------------------------Ivanlice Lineage--------------------------------------------Trans-Dimensional---------------

↓

Final Fantasy II ↓ ↓

↓

Final Fantasy III ------(Job Class Era)------------------>>>> Final Fantasy Tactics ---->>> Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light Chocobo Series

↓ ↓ ↓

Final Fantasy IV ---------->> Final Fantasy IV After Years Final Fantasy XII Final Fantasy Brigade

↓ ↓ ↓

Final Fantasy V ----------->> Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystal Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings Final Fantasy Dimensions

↓ ↓

Final Fantasy VI Final Fantasy All The Bravest

↓

Final Fantasy XI

↓

Final Fantasy IX

↓

-----Years After Age of Mist (Alternative Energy Found)-----------

↓

Final Fantasy X --->> Final Fantasy X-2

↓

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

↓

Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis

↓

Final Fantasy VII

↓

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Childern

↓

Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerebus

↓

Final Fantasy VIII

↓

Final Fantasy XIII --->> Final Fantasy XIII-2

↓

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Zench-XIII
8th Feb 2013, 22:08
As Grimoire stated, only some games relate to others. But overall, there's no timeline connecting all FF games, since they're different universes.

Grimoire
9th Feb 2013, 02:09
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is an "alternate" Dissidia. I can't see how it could possibly take place after Dissidia.

↓

↓

↓

↓

Final Fantasy VII

...?

What is this supoposed to mean?

[ μ ] - εγλ 2000 (November) - The main events of Crisis Core begin

(- Genesis and his forces take over Banora and make it their base. They kill many of the villagers, including Genesis's foster parents. Later on, two Turks are sent to investigate the village but are also killed.)

[ ν ] - εγλ 0001 (February 30, 02:15) - The main events of Before Crisis begin

(- AVALANCHE begins its war against the Shinra Company by attempting to infiltrate and blow up one of Midgar's mako reactors. The Turks manage to stop them.)

[ ν ] - εγλ 0007 (December 9) - The main events of Final Fantasy VII begin

(- Cloud, Barret and the new AVALANCHE blow up Midgar's Mako Reactor 1. On his way to the Sector 8 train station, Cloud meets Aerith for the first time.)

[ ν ] - εγλ 0009 - Advent Children takes place

[ ν ] - εγλ 0010 - Dirge of Cerberus takes place

Any questions?

Why not add Spirits Within with the Great Hein before Final Fantasy VIII while you're at it?

Ripax5
9th Feb 2013, 04:02
Uhn? How Final Fantasy Theatrhythm is an "altenate" Dissidia?

moooka
9th Feb 2013, 05:36
The Dissidia thing is an after thought, the universes were never originally supposed to be connected.

Grimoire
9th Feb 2013, 06:14
Dissidia and Theatrhythm share the same mythology - Chaos and Cosmos. Discord and Harmony. After the events of Dissidia, there is no longer a Chaos/Feral Chaos, and Cosmos is doomed to fade away, therefore it's only natural that, according to this timeline (which I personally do not approve of in the first place), these two games take place during the same era.

Ripax5
9th Feb 2013, 07:57
I see. I think I never linked them because their gameplay is very different. How I could not see Chaos and Cosmos on the cover?

Traduzir do: espanhol (/go/post/reply/139235/29606489/...:void(0))
Digite um texto ou endereço de um site ou traduza um documento. (http://translate.google.com/?tr=f&hl=pt-BR)

Cancelar (http://translate.google.com/?tr=t&hl=pt-BR)
<input style="display: none;" name="file" id="file" size="40" type="file" />

Exemplo de uso de "":

traduzido automaticamente pelo Google

member_10247755
9th Feb 2013, 10:11
I've been wondering if Squeenix is going to link 7 and 13. Both refer to "The Goddess" in latter installations.

Grimoire
9th Feb 2013, 10:24
There are many different kinds of Gods and Goddesses; Etro is a fal'Cie (na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29354571/LIGHTNING_RETURNS_-_FINAL_FANTASY_XIII?post_id=528881509#528881509)), whereas Minerva is the Will of the Lifestream (characterindex.webs.com/Minerva.htm (http://characterindex.webs.com/Minerva.htm)). It's only natural for humans to believe in a deity of some sort.

member_10247755
9th Feb 2013, 10:30
I know the idea of a deity isn't anything new, but all the Lightning - Cloud similarities, and the fact that Squeenix keeps pushing the 13 series at us just makes me wonder if they'll subtly tie it in. Not directly, but sort of like the way they semi-connected x-2 and 7.

Grimoire
9th Feb 2013, 10:56
1. Pulse seems to be a much larger planet than Gaia. Also, apart from appearing in Odin's summon scene, no moon has been spotted in FFXIII.

2. Fabula Nova Crystallis was created specifically as a completely new saga. Connecting it to a previous title would pretty much ruin the entire concept of this idea.

3. Several members of the staff have said that apart from being strong individuals and soldiers, there are no particular similarities between Lightning and Cloud. (Even though Nomura's asymmetrical design gives them a visual resemblance.)

4. The connection between FFVII and FFX is Nojima's personal idea. It has never been officially featured in any of the games.

5. Wada has said that with Advent Children Complete, the Compilation has come to an end.

6. Wada's goal is to have Square Enix produce a game even better than FFVII. I believe he wouldn't be too fond of the idea of having more salt rubbed into the wound.

7. The "Lifestream" would have been pyrefly-like instead of resembling golden shards of crystal had there been a connection.

member_10745919
9th Feb 2013, 17:26
Dissidia ---->>> Theatrhythym Final Fantasy

&darr;

Dissidia 012

&darr;

Final Fantasy ----->> Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

&darr;

---------------------------- The Magic Era-------------------------Ivanlice Lineage------------------------------------Trans-Dimensional Era--------

&darr;

Final Fantasy II &darr; &darr;

&darr;

Final Fantasy III ------(Job Class Era)------------------>>>> Final Fantasy Tactics ---->>> Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light Chocobo Series

&darr; &darr; &uarr; &darr;

Final Fantasy IV ---------->> Final Fantasy IV After Years <<<----Final Fantasy Tactic A2: Grimoire of the Rift

&darr; &darr; &darr; &darr;

Final Fantasy V ----------->> Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystal Final Fantasy XII Final Fantasy Dimensions

&darr; &darr; &darr;

(War of the Magi Breaks Out) Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings Final Fantasy Brigade

&darr; &darr;

Final Fantasy VI Final Fantasy All The Bravest

&darr;

Final Fantasy XI

&darr;

Final Fantasy IX

&darr;

-----Years After Age of Mist (Alternative Energy Found)----------- ///// //////// -------Alternate World-----------------

&darr; Crystal Chronicles Series

Final Fantasy X --->> Final Fantasy X-2 My Life as a Darklord

&darr;

&darr;

&darr;

Final Fantasy VII

&darr;

&darr;

&darr;

Spirit Within

&darr;

Final Fantasy VIII

&darr;

Final Fantasy XIII --->> Final Fantasy XIII-2

&darr;

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Zench-XIII
9th Feb 2013, 19:01
This new one won't change the fact that there doesn't exist a timeline connecting every Final Fantasy game.

agrhodes
14th Jun 2013, 02:15
ok.. so.. seeing as sakaguchi is too smart of a person to create a game franchise without having somewhat of a connection between them all, i dissagree with people that say there is no timeline. i think there is one, and i have a theory on how it plays out, mind you its just a theory, and it does not include ANY of the spin off games (crystal chronicles, mystic quest, tactics, etc.) in the timeline, but i do think they have an importance, that effects the timeline that i will adress. also, i will not address 11 or 14 at all because, being someone who is not into MMOs, i have never played them, and 10 is extremely hard for me to place because of the whole 1000 year gap in the story, and the fact that the game implies parlelle demensions and such. also i am a firm beleiver that if there really is a timeline (which i think there is), 12 is not part of it, seeing as it takes place in the same world as tactics advanced and tactics A2.

(warning, there will be alot of spoilers, there kindof has to be for my theory to be clear, so if there is a final fantasy game you haven't beat, and dont want to ruin, dont read this)

final fantasy is my absolute favorite game franchise. period. i nerd out so hard to this seires, and when i have presented this theory to other hardcore fans, most of them tend to agree with the way im thinking after i lay it all out. KEEP IN MIND its just a theory, AND its probably not true, AND i have most def spent too much time thinking about this AND i have beat every final fantasy game multiple times (except 13, i dont think i could do that one twice seeing as the game isnt fun til its almost over).

my theory is that there are 3 main eras of final fantasy, before the war (the age of crystal kingdoms), durring the war (crystal kingdoms are at war), and after the war (no more crystal kingdoms)

now seeing as i havent actually played through and beat a final fantasy game in some time, (other than 13 and 13-2) this might be a little rough, so bare with me, and feel free to correct any details i get wrong, its been forever since ive played some of these games.

lets start with basic world similarities. in most of the final fantasy games, there are two planets, (terra and gaia of 9, earth and moon of 4, pulse and caccoon of 13, etc.) in many final fantasy games there are kingdoms built around crystals. but in some of the more futuristic final fantasy games, there really are no crystals. another thing to think about is the whole meteor comes down and has another race of human on it thing that happens 5 and 7 and probably somewhere else that isnt coming to mind right now. these are things that make it kindof difficult to say "nope.. not the same universe"

now on to my theoretical timeline.

im going to present it in more of a description way than just laying out a time line because otherwise i would have to fill in the gaps as i went. so here we go.

now the fact that final fantasy 1, 2, and 3 all have a very similar plot of "commissioned by the crystal to bring peace to world" makes it kindof dificult to say "these games ARE NOT related in any way" especially seeing as final fantasy 4 turned that universe of crystal kingdoms into a more vibrant, alive, and political setting. it brought out more of "war between kingdoms" feel than any of the previous games. also the fact that 4 and 5 focused pretty hard on whole "OMG THE GREAT CRYSTAL HAS BEEN DESTROYED". that being said, the importance of the crystals, and the crystal kingdoms for the first 5 games had a very distinct "FINAL FANTASY" aspect to it. seeing as Sakaguchi has specifically stated that final fantasy 2 and 3 were rushed, and not games that he was particularly proud of, and it wasnt until 4 that he felt that the game series was something actually worth while, i would say that 1-3 are probably very close together (as far as time period goes). where as 4 and 5 are more spaced out, and further down the line. based upon the fact that in final fantasy 4, cecil is tricked by his king into destroying a city of a race of summoners, i beleive that this SEMI-feeds into final fantasy 9. the opening sequence of final fantasy 9 shows a mother, and a little girl fleeing from something. later in the game you find that this girl is garnet, or dagger, or sarah, or what ever you decide to name her lol. she is from an old village that was destroyed. now the difference here is that cecil and kain delivered a package to rydia's city, and that package destroyed that city, and in 9 the city that garnet was from was destroyed by an airship called the invinceable. but as i had said earlier, 4 has a real political feel with themes of cival war, and just all out war between specific kingdoms. so i feel like 4 and 9 happen fairly close together, and rydia and garnet are probably from a similar race of summoners. but because of the change in how the cities were destroyed, and because of the OBVIOUS plot differences, that probably didnt happen at the same time, but more than likely within 50 or so years of each other. even in the real world, we see spits of racism that cross the globe at times, so why wouldnt that happen in a fantasy world, especially against a race of people that can just summon beasts to do their own bidding? lol so in 4 the idea is that cecil was a knight whos job had become to go steal the crystals from other kingdoms, and in 5 the whole theme was to protect the crytals, and eventualy (after failing to protect them) put the shards back together. i personally feel that the order goes 1,2,3,5,9,4. so now we move onto the war seeing as 4 had a very heavy world war theme that just gets bigger and more intense as the game goes on, i feel like this DIRECTLY leads into the next bit. bare with me because here is where things get a LITTLE MORE presumptious, but research ive done highly supports this theory. the fabula nova crystallis. this translates from latin to english to mean "the new tale of the crystal". this was supposed to be a 3 game series that, while not directly connected, had a same base common mythos. agito xiii (which is now called type-0, and has yet to, and probably wont get a state side release), versus xiii (which as of4 days ago is now officially 15, but seeing as square is now referring to it as the "the first part of the versus epic" we will probably see an 15-2 and so forth) and then ffxiii (which has a ridiculously long and complicated story that has been split into 3 games). now the reason i say that things are a little more presumtiuos, is because 3 of the 5 games (with potential for more) that are the fabula nova crystallis have yet to be released here in the states. 2 of which havent been released at all. so here we go. type-0. the trailer specifically states that this game is about the crystal kingdoms going to war. there you go. ff15 (previously known as versus 13) every bit of trialer and footage EVER put out about this game, implies that there is only ONE crystal kingdom left. it also implies that this is the FALL of the final crystal kingdom. so we go from 1-3,5 and 9, where the world is governed by crystal kingdoms, to 4 where war is about to break out, to type-0 where the kingdoms are now at war, to 15 (versus 13) where only one crystal kingdom remains. now lets jump back for a second and talk about crystal chronicls. now these games obviously have absolutly no actual link to main NUMBERED final fantasy games. except that they focus on villages, that do everthing they can to protect their crystal, because the crystal wards off miasma. sounds kindof like the concept of crystal kingdoms right? i like to think of these games as more a "folklore" within the later final fantasy games. the same way that most people on earth think of greek mythology, fiary tales, creation of the earth stories and such. these games would be what the characters in games such as final fantasy 8 would tell their kids when they went to bed (this is how i feel about MOST of the spin off games). crystal chronicles games imply that the crystals have very specific power of protection. so now take that idealization, and go to type-0.. when a war breaks out and the crystals are being destroyed by other kingdoms! then 15 where there is only 1 crystal kingdom remaining (remember this game was originally called VERSUS 13. versus in the literal translation doesnt mean going against the way we think, but versus literally means "going towards" so there is PROOF in the name itself that this game happens BEFORE 13). then somehow to 13 where there are no more crystals, but now there are crystalin beings (fal'cie) that have basically taken over everything and enslaved humanity. so think of it this way, in 4, you travel to the "moon". so the people of the earth, now know that its possible to live on the moon. so in the world of the fabula nova, where after type-0 and 15, human kind has destroyed the crystals, the one thing protecting them from everything. so they decide to relocate to the moon. now just replace the word "earth" with "pulse" and the word "moon" with "cacoon". there you have it. in final fantasy 13 it is pretty much specifically stated that all of human kind used to be from pulse. the ones with the technology, brains, money, and the over all means to do so, left pulse to re colanize on cacoon. then you get this whole total recall thing where years and years down the road people who moved to the new planet are now racist against the people who live on the old planet. then the purge happens where the people of cacoon now want to make sure all the people of pulse are sent back to pulse. now without the crystals keeping the evil things at bay, a new race of master beings called fal'cie are around. and in 13 you pretty much go down to pulse and realise that its liveable, and then you destroy the fal'cie. also remember that the only reason that anyone has magical powers in 13 is because the fal'cie GIVES it to them. before snow becomes a l'cie, he only has the ability to punch and throw grendes. immidiatly after the fal'cie bestows the mark on his arm, he now has migical powers. and this goes for every character. by the end, the fal'cie are gone. but what happens when you destroy a crystal? well.. it turns to dust and blows away in the wind. so lets just say that the fal'cie's power, as well as the old crystals from the crystal kingdoms power has now been spread to the rest of the world through its own dust. so at the end of 13, it basically implies that everyone is happy, and now you can go live on pulse because the fal'cie arent there to trick you into living on one planet or the other just so they can enslave you for their own bidding. 13-2's story kinda strays from this and leaves some things unexplained that i hope is filled out in 13-3. but honestly i feel that after 13-3 its going to be as if nothing happened after 13 and people just went on with their lives, due to the whole time travle thing to fix the rifts in 13-2. anyways, so next in the timeline comes final fantasy is 8. in 8, remember how the entire world is filled with magic. everything has migic in it, and you have an infinite amount of magic, all you have to do is "draw" it from your surroundings. the unanswered question is, where did that magic come from. i theorize that the magic comes from the dust of the fal'cie who were destroyed in 13, and the dust from the crystals from 1-5,9,type-0, and 15. their dust has covered the earth (or pulse) to the point that the entire planet is now rich in magic energy that just needs to be pulled from the environment in order to be harnessed. next we have 6. in 6 one of the main plot points is that gestahl is trying to figure out a stable way to imbue humans and machines with magic. why would this be necisarry? in every final fantasy game before this, magic is just something that is already there... but remember, 1-5, 9, type-0, and 15 these people live in a world where sentient crystals protect them and grant them powers. in 13, people that are comissioned by the fal'cie and turned into a l'cie are granted the ability to use magic. then 8, the ground, plants, trees, animals, etc. are so full with magic (because of the destroyed fal'cie and crystals) that all you have to do is draw to be able to cast it (but that wont last for ever, think of drawing magic the same way as us drilling for oil, its a non renewable resource, and we will eventually run out). so obviously, magic is something that has existed in the past, and gestahl is trying to find a good way to harness that. in doing so he creates kefka who then becomes overly indulgent in his own power and decided to just straight up destroy the world. next we have 7. notice, that 7 already has a post apocolyptic feel. also notice that shinra, is doing pretty much exactly what gestahl was doing in 6. experimenting on humans to make them more powerful. also notice that the world is so dead, that the only way to really harness magic, is to drill into the earth with giant reactors and create materia from the life stream, which is all that is left of the magic energy that has been left after the destruction of the crystal kingdoms, and the the fal'cie.

so to recap, i feel that the games go in an order like this

1----2----3-----5-----9-----4------type0------15--13---8---6--7.
[age of crystal kingdoms][war of kingdoms][end of war]
now obviously with my theory, there are some LARGE time gaps, between games, but i feel that its a pretty solid theory.

i dont know much about 11 or 14, so if you have insight as to where they could fit in my theory, let me know. i do know that a 14's remake, a realm reborn, is supposed to kindof focus on an outbreak of war to destroy the crystals? but idk. i feel like from what i know of 11 and 14, the mmo stories are really just there to be fan service more than actually important stories, and the fact that cid from 4 is in a realm reborn along side magitek armour, i dont really think that its supposed to be cannon story to a time line like i do for the rest of the series.

not sure where 10 would fit in, because of how spaced out the game already is. but seeing as the attaining of magic powers isnt REALLY adressed well, i feel that it probably goes somewhere between 13 and 7. seeing as in 13-2, noel, caius, and yeul all look like they came straight out of 10, and they are supposed to be from post apocolyptic time period, its possible that 10 could happen after 7, but i really dont know. let me know your ideas.

i personally feel that 12 doesnt fit into the timeline at all, seeing as it fits in perfectly with tactics advanced, and tactics A2.

again its just a theory, dont get you panties in a wad if you dont agree with me. if you like my idea, feel free to share my theory with others. if you know of anything that would re order my placement please share with me!

thanks for readying my text book of a comment lol

Grimoire
14th Jun 2013, 03:59
...FFX is set at least "a thousand year or so" before FFVII. That's all I can say.

agrhodes
20th Jun 2013, 17:27
Ah, that's right. I remember reading an article about that. Also in X-2 that kid's name is shinra, and he talks of an idea of harnessing energy Much like shinra does with the lifestream in 7. So I'm going to say that on my theory X goes somewhere between XIII and VI. I'm gonna have to replay 6, 8, and 10 now so i can figure out how to more solidify my theory.

Tilarta
28th Jun 2016, 12:53
I've been trying to understand how there can be two different universes in the Final Fantasy game series.
At least, that's how it appears to me.

I started getting involved with Final Fantasy from game VII and Advent Children.
I thought it was all about Cloud, Tifa, Aerith and their friends vs the Shinra Corporation.
To me, that's always what I thought Final Fantasy was about.

Then a friend streamed their gameplay of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn so I could see the game for myself.
I couldn't understand what I was seeing.
None of it made any sense! :nut:
It looked like some steampunk fantasy game, I didn't see anything I was familiar with.
The only thing I recognised were Chocobos.

So can someone please clarify the difference?
Why is there another kind of Final Fantasy game?
And why isn't it connected to the FFVII franchise?

Grimoire
28th Jun 2016, 14:17
Final Fantasy Series (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_(series)) (Final Fantasy Wiki)