PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in the UK! What’s up with that?

RiCh
23rd Sep 2002, 15:28
Just before 1:00am last night a strong earth tremor hit the UK. It measured 4.8 on the Richter scale and lasted for about 30 secs. I live probably no-more than 10-12 miles from where the epicentre was pinpointed. And my house was shaking like a good-un I can tell you. I don’t know if I jumped out of bed or fell out :D but I landed running! I ran up and my landing trying to figure out what the heck was going on! When the tremor and the loud rumbling finally died down I just stood in the middle of my landing thinking that couldn’t have been what I thought it was? But yes, it really was an earthquake, albeit not the biggest or longest!

I’m sure you folks in the US eat 4.8’s for breakfast, but damn it’s not the kinda thing we see in the UK! :D Thankfully there wasn’t much damage, just a few chimney’s collapsed and roofing tiles came down. Lucky no-one was injured apart from me. :( Due to my current injury to my foot, running up and down my landing in mild panic wasn’t the best thing to do while I’m on the road to recovery! It was only when I finally got back into bed later that I realised just how much my foot hurting again…man! It just don’t rain but it pours whatever next is gonna happen? A lottery win would be nice? ;)

Any of you taffer’s in the US ever experienced an earthquake? I don’t know if I could live in an area where earthquakes are frequent? Last night was bad enough I’d hate to see a real big one first hand! :eek:

Thorin Oakenshield
23rd Sep 2002, 17:22
Yeah I was on this forum last night/this morning as it happened:eek: I'm about 25-30 miles away. I thought the house got rammed by a car or lorry or something. The whole house shook then the doors started rattling. It was a very strange feeling. The quake managed to crack a water pipe at the reservoir So the water is off for two days:rolleyes:

I thought quakes only happened on faults:confused: There isn't one in the uk!

Peter_Smith
23rd Sep 2002, 19:18
There are faults everywhere, including the UK, I am sure. Check a geology source. It may be a question of whether they are classified as active. Inactive faults move, too. No matter what, no place is completely immune to shifting of the earth's crust, not even Kansas. Places near the ocean shore, which have more tectonic movement are more likely to have earthquakes.

Yeah, having lived in California for many years, a 4.8 is routine. I have been jarred many times by the quick shock (close) and the long rolling ones (far away). I felt the last big one in Northridge CA (over 7.0 as I recall), 150 miles away in San Diego. Almost all of our houses are wood frame construction which are fairly forgiving. In the UK, however, with a lot of old, unreinforced stone structures, it could be a much more serious thing. Glad it wasn't.:)

littlek
23rd Sep 2002, 19:41
I was in Ohio when a 3 point something hit. Scared the bazeebas outta me. I felt some small ones in California and Alaska when I was visiting. I think a 4.8 will shake you up no matter where you live! Glad you are OK. Keep that foot up.

Huntress
23rd Sep 2002, 22:03
Really glad however that it wasn't too bad and no-one got hurt! Yea, you got faults...you just didn't know it. Unfortuately for me, I live very close to several...being in Northern CA. Peter, you were in Northridge when that biggie hit? Ouch...but then I was here when the biggie hit in '89. A few things fell and got broken...which was sad but at least nothing major happened that time. RiCh, the one thing you need to do if ever one hits again...is to find a place inbetween some walls that have strong wall frames (like your closet) or drop down under some heavy table/desk. Don't get out in the open...you want protection from falling things in case. I remember at work...almost time to go home and one hit that was pretty strong...and the first time I felt I needed to crawl under my desk. Some heavy cabinets fell over that time. Others that are mild...I just laugh and enjoy the ride...rock and roll :D It does get to be common place here ;)

Do take care of your foot as I sure hate the idea of your injuring it further...it needs TLC not panic running about! Ta and Good Hunting!

Gumdrop
23rd Sep 2002, 22:42
Musta been rats! :p

I have to admit I thaught it was cool. I live in Telford so I was a little further away, but it still shook the house and rattled all the windows. I was awake when it hit, but my girlfriend and her brother who lives with us slept right through it. Spooked the neighbours dog. He didn't stop barking for almost an hour, and by that time all the birds kicked in and I ended up getting no sleep at all! :rolleyes:

Still...It was worth it. :)

Peter_Smith
24th Sep 2002, 00:27
No Huntress, luckily I was not near Northridge. I was at a safe distance in San Diego, I guess 150 miles away. So we got some rock'en and roll'en but no damage. During the many years I lived there, San Diego got a lot of action from afar, but nothing local. There is this fault called the Rose Canyon fault that hasn't moved in eons, but could be cause of concern. Anyway, no worry now. I am sitting in New Mexico waiting for the next big one.;)

I've been jolted out of bed quite a few times, or more likely it is just a gentle rolling, which you may sleep through. I used to work in a flexible steel frame building that seemed to magnify every tremor with appropriate sound effects. That was exciting. My most memorabe earthquake apart from Northridge, was when I was sitting in my car in a gas station, soon after arriving in California. I thought someone was in back of my car pushing up and down on the bumper as a joke. But nobody was there. Then I saw the Shell sign swaying back and forth and I knew something was up.:)

Squid
25th Sep 2002, 08:14
Locations of major faultlines that the general public doesn't know about...

Atlanta: There is a fault line running under the heart of downtown. It hasn't moved in 120 years or so, and we're supposed to be overdue.

New York: Another one here, but I think it's in the water off Manhattan.

Chicago: About 100 miles south or so in Indiana is the upper reaches of a major faultline that runs straight into the Gulf of Mexico. Basically, the Mississippi river is a faultline. This one in particular is also way overdue. There's also a book written about this one, called 8.0.

LochNessa is saying there's one in Colorado and Arizona.

Those are the ones we know of. There's pretty much one wherever you look. They tend to form at the edges and centers of continental plates.

Squid

theBlackman
25th Sep 2002, 09:11
Originally posted by Squid
Locations of major faultlines that the general public doesn't know about...

New York: Another one here, but I think it's in the water off Manhattan.Runs right down the center of hundred and 47th I think right under the Edison Power plant in Manhattan

Basically, the Mississippi river is a faultline. This one in particular is also way overdue. There's also a book written about this one, called 8.0. The NEW MADRAS fault. Caused the subsidence of 800 miles of area in the 1830's or 40's.

LochNessa is saying there's one in Colorado and Arizona.

Those are the ones we know of. There's pretty much one wherever you look. They tend to form at the edges and centers of continental plates.

Squid

Oregon, Wyoming, and Montana also have had quake problems starting in the 1950's from faults no one had recognized or considered. Except our old friend Edgar Cayce. (google him up if you don't know)

newk007
26th Sep 2002, 11:56
Down here in North Queensland we don't have the ever present threat of earthquakes... at least, we haven't had any here that have been recorded. We're on some Australasian plate that doesn't cut across any Australian land. I remember that there was an earthquake in Newcastle, NSW about 10-15 years ago which didn't rate very high, but still caused considerable damage. Glad I wasn't around for that one...

theBlackman
4th Oct 2002, 07:47
All you Brits can go here to get more info about the recent activities in your homeland.

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/

As you will see you are not as far removed from the Earth's tummy-rumbling as you may have thought. :D :p

Caradavin1
23rd Oct 2002, 18:19
OT: I'm moving to England in the next 1 - 2 years!! Yay!! I was born for England. I can't wait! I plan to go to Goldsmith College.

Hawklette
23rd Oct 2002, 19:01
Really happy no one was hurt. I never knew of some of these faults either. I'm not sure if the New York one goes down as far as Maryland. Here we have occasional hurricanes but the thunderstorms are getting increasingly bad. It is now known we also have tornadoes but when they started who knows. Maybe they were here but never detected.

The main worry now is this crazy serial sniper. If it isn't one thing it's another so they say. Who ever they is. :D

Gumdrop
23rd Oct 2002, 20:25
Hehe...I think we are getting a thing for quakes over here. More tiddlers have struck Manchester within the last few days.

Mr. Perfect
23rd Oct 2002, 20:55
Nope, never experianced a quake here in south Jersey. Though my grandfather did experiance a small one when he was young, thought that would have to have been almost 70 years ago.