PDA

View Full Version : List of Ghosted FM's?

Deadfall
22nd Sep 2002, 01:38
Has anyone done a list of all the successful ghosts for T1/T2 Fan Missions? I tried a search but didn't find anything. I guess I could do it myself and look at the "FM's ghost/perfect thief results" thread, but not all FM's have been posted there.

Danventry
22nd Sep 2002, 17:59
There are also some archives (look at the first message in this forum). To start you off (if you want to begin to ghost) here are some easy and small missions to Ghost (I've also Perfected all of them):
Airship
Night At The Theatre
Stiff Competition
Sandbride Police Station
The Night I Ghosted Berkshead
After The Party
The Inventor's Tower
Hightowne Museum

If anyone has some other easy ones I'd be thankful that you posted them because I might try them out.

Deadfall
22nd Sep 2002, 21:09
Yes I know. Ive checked the archives for anything related, but I didn't find anything. I appreciate the help, but don't be fooled by my "Junior Member" tag. Im not new to ghosting. Ive ghosted about 60% of the T2 FM's. There are just some that haven't been posted in the "FM ghost results" thread and I thought maybe someone put together a list of all successfully ghosted FM's. Peter Smith did this at the end of the Thief Gold/Thief 2 ghost results thread, but the FM ghost result threads don't have a list at the end.

Theres quite a few other easy ghostable FM's if you're interested:

Akhenatens Tomb
Waterlogged
Escape from Blackstone Crypt
Breaking and Entering
First City Bank and Trust Annex
Melian's Method
Rescue!
Squeeky's Secret
Warehouse 51
Throne Room
Thief 2-CTF

I guess I have answered my own question and i'll just have to make a list myself.

Peter_Smith
23rd Sep 2002, 04:46
Someone posted a list on the old UBB forum but it got wiped out when tranfering to vBulletin. The only records we have are the ghost reports referenced in the FAQ page, as described above, plus the currently active Part 3 of the FM ghost series. Parts 1 and 2 are in the FAQ archives.

Vanguard
23rd Sep 2002, 17:55
The FM ghost threads are really just one long thread. They get cut off after they start getting too long, like after 3 or more pages, to prevent readers from having to continually click on a link to get to the next page; i.e., the threads are kept to a manageable and convenient size. That's why links to the prior portion of the continuing thread are shown in the first message so you can walk backward through them. However, once a thread is archived, it cannot be edited again, so we cannot add a message at the end with links pointing forward to the newer threads.

Although I tried to set a common format for the ghost reports, not everyone uses them. Individuality, ya know. So searching on "FM: " won't show the title line in the stats from every ghost report. Although many of the ghost reports are mine, many more players have ghosted the FMs but have never reported them. I tend to be verbose and sometimes opinionated (but, in my view, that's why you wrote the ghost report because you are relating *your* experience with the FM, not the author's and not for other players, although I wanted to edit the first thread to tone down some of my comments but couldn't because it was already archived).

The ghost reports don't go all the way back to when we taffers started ghosting, either. If you cannot find a mission listed in the FM ghost, you might just want to post a question, like "Anyone ghost the <i>thisname</i> FM?". The ghost report threads are primarily to ghost results with perhaps some discussion on how to ghost something on which someone else failed. But questions and lengthy discussions should be communicated via separate posts or personal messages (PMs) to eliminate the fluff in the ghost reports.

Just because one person managed to ghost an FM doesn't mean you can. Some folks, like Sneak and Lytha, may hide somewhere and let the game run for hours and hours waiting for some effect to occur that gives them enough advantage to ghost a situation. Sometimes it is pure luck that you managed to ghost a spot, like happening to pass through a solid wall because the game engine screwed up, or timing was so critical and so extremely tight that it is unlikely that it is repeatable even by the same player that managed it the first time. Some require you build a stair of crates but it will take you a long time to gather all the needed crates and get them piled up, even if you use the fact that overlapping crates don't need crates underneath for support. So I don't think a list of ghosted FMs is really that useful. I have failed to ghost many FMs where other players have succeeded. A lot depends on your patience and ingenuity, or sometimes on just plain stubborness in losing.

Deadfall
23rd Sep 2002, 22:02
Vanguard - I understand. However, I do believe a list of ghosted FM's can be useful. The list would plainly show that a certain mission CAN be ghosted, even if it involved letting the game run for hours to gradually cause an AI to move like in cragscleft or LoTP. But then theres also the FM's where the author puts 2 spiders infront of a crawlspace tunnel that you NEED to get through and there is just no way to ghost it, no matter what you did with crates or nudging or anything.

In my opinion a list would be helpful and perhaps spur someone into using all means possible to ghost one of the FM's that have been considered impossible to ghost. People thought T2's Kidnap couldn't be ghosted in the beginning, and then Sneak applied a crate tactic and "unhooked" the train. The same thing could happen with an FM, but I realize now that I should just make a list myself. I appreciate your points though.

Peter_Smith
24th Sep 2002, 00:09
Deadfall,

Are you volunteering to make such a list? You've got my vote.:)

Deadfall
24th Sep 2002, 04:13
Peter - Well... it will take some time, but yes I am going to make a list.

Peter_Smith
24th Sep 2002, 13:39
Sounds good. I'll try not to let this one die. Save a copy for your self just in case. Maintenance of the list will be another problem you may want to consider.....

Danventry
26th Sep 2002, 01:04
Originally posted by Deadfall
Theres quite a few other easy ghostable FM's if you're interested:

Akhenatens Tomb
Waterlogged
Escape from Blackstone Crypt
Breaking and Entering
First City Bank and Trust Annex
Melian's Method
Rescue!
Squeeky's Secret
Warehouse 51
Throne Room
Thief 2-CTF

As much as I hate to be picky, I do have that quality. I would have ghosted some but this is why I haven't (yet): Akh's Tomb And Escape from Blackstone: I never touch the undead/woodie-creatures unless I'm desparate for some entertainment. Waterlogged was one I tried, but I never could get past the two gaurds in the pool area (which is the only way to enter), plus the key in the awards room and the 2nd place trophy (Mech-Priestess's room?) I thought would have to wait until I had more time. Melian's: Every time I tried to unlock a door or pick-pocket an outside guy, my tail would be whipped by them both (if not the entire guild). Throne Room: I didn't bother as I though it wasn't a well enough built game (story-line wise). Squeeky's: Never tried, need too, thanks for the suggestion. Thief CTF: I never can get past the guy in the gaurd outpost in the begining.
Warehouse 51: Also never tried (but if it's the one with the little white alien dudes, I'm not trying, as there's metal floors and overly active aliens). First City Bank: The conversation would screw up on any reloads so the gaurds wouldn't leave their post which I didn't want to play a incorrectly-playing game. Rescue!: I think I tried and never go through because there was too many gaurds, but I'll try again. B&E: I ghosted that but never recorded my stats, thanks for reminding me to do that.

PS If someone can help me with my problems with the games, then I'd be greatful b/c I can try again.