PDA

View Full Version : About upgrading

Lyril
21st Sep 2002, 10:23
I've finally bitten the bullet and organized a major (as in: MAJOR) upgrade of my trusty computer. I really hope it will do for the next couple of years and run T3, - if it ever comes out, that is!

My query is: when I have to have the C drive wiped (I don't have a burner), can I simply and logically drag or copy the missions file in Darkloader to another drive? So that I can just drag it back after I've reinstalled TG, T2 and Darkloader? Then I would have all my beloved FMs there, and not have to download them again.

Replacing the Thief games is tedious enough, - I really hope I don't have to replace the FMs too.

Thanks.

Komag
21st Sep 2002, 16:14
Seems like you can do that just fine, don't see why not.

Peter_Smith
21st Sep 2002, 16:25
To some extent this depends on the operating system you have now and the one you are upgrading to. To get into more detail, please tell us.

If the spare drive, say D:, is a FAT32 drive, then it is compatible with Win 98, Win 2000, and Win XP. Then you can move any files you want such as Allsaves and FM zip files to D: and move them back to C: (if you want to) after the upgrade. On the other hand, if you have a 16-bit FAT drive, then I believe that Win 2000 and XP will not recognize it.

If you are upgrading to Win 2000 or XP, you may want to make the drive an NTFS drive, which has some advantages over FAT-32. That will work so long as you copy files to a FAT32 drive in the first place and format only the C: drive as NTFS.

If you plan to use a new motherboard and much new hardware, you are probably better off to rebuild the operating system and reload all software on drive C, even if you do not change the OS.

Partitioning is an issue you must also address. Are you talking about different logical drives (partitions) on one physical drive or two physical drives? The same general principles apply either way, but the actions you take may be different. Obviously, if you copy your files to a different partition on the same physical drive, you want to make sure you do not destroy that partition during the install process.

You cannot copy program files this way because they are intertwined with registry entries that will be wiped out when you reinstall your operating system. You may preserve these registry entries if you upgrade the OS rather than install from scratch. However, I would never upgrade the OS because of potential problems. I would install it from scratch, even if it is a little more trouble.

At the heart of this discussion is the fact that evidently you do not have a backup system you can use to save your files. Understand that your hard drive can fail at any time, and you will lose everything. Therefore, I suggest that you include a CD burner in your upgrade plans and use some backup software to save important files if not the entire system.

LeatherMan
21st Sep 2002, 17:04
If all else fails and you do lose all of your FMs, see Komag's signature above for a link to his website. You can get all FMs and many other files on CD or DVD for minimal cost. ;)

Lyril
23rd Sep 2002, 00:10
for all the info. I once made the mistake of having a HD reformatted without copying the Thief save files. That was a major disaster!

When I can next afford a present for my computer I'll include a burner. So far I haven't felt the need for one, other than in times like this. It took me so long to download Hallucinations (and then my pc was too primitive to run it!) that I definitely don't want to do that again. I have most of the others on Komag's discs, but not that.

I'm really looking forward to having some speed, so that I can really play the FMs without feeling like a very handicapped thief, limping along at such an abominably slow pace that death is usually inevitable.

Mr. Perfect
24th Sep 2002, 20:23
What are your planned upgrades?:)