PDA

View Full Version : What Makes A Good Game?

Miss Croft
20th Sep 2002, 17:56
I've been wondering lately (as i dont do a lot :p ) and I was thinking: Whay exactly makes a good game?

there's so many different popular games for TR to MGS to even Parrapa the Rappa! So what makes em good?

Please discuss!

Personally, I think it's the controls, how hard it is, how much of it is movies/cutscenes and the small things. I especially love the droplets of water that fall from Lara after she's got out of a pool in TRC lol but not to keen on the PC cntrols.

DaveJ
20th Sep 2002, 18:08
How successfully you feel you are immersed in the games atmosphere.

Be it 'Silent Hill'/'Resident Evil' making you turn the lights on, be it 'Halo' making you feel it really is just you against an alien horde, or be it 'No-One Lives Forever' making you feel the swinging 60's are back again, with the Cold War in full tilt.

Its also moments that make you sit back afterwards and go "wow!"

Like the Normandy landing in "Medal of Honor:Allied Assault", or the sniper sweep segment on the oil rig in "MGS2", or the parachute-less sky-dive in the aforementioned "NOLF".

Lara Croft Online
20th Sep 2002, 19:11
I guess a good game is one you'll play over and over again.
Also one that you will make a website based on it lol :D

Kurtis Trent
20th Sep 2002, 22:05
Lets see you need a good storyline, good gameplay, good controls, good graphics, a not so short game, (i hate short games), good characters to hold up the storyline, wow, ya know them qualities are just like TR. :D:D:D

Godfather
20th Sep 2002, 22:08
Simple. A beautiful babe kickin' everybody's ***es!

Raider Sunrise
21st Sep 2002, 07:58
A good storyline is very important to me. And a good character.

cowboy from hell
21st Sep 2002, 23:53
OK! Here is what would make game great. After the release of Silent Hill 3 (which I promise will be great) how can you top that? Well......you start working on Silent Hill 4 and the main character would be a uhmm....cowboy (possibly from hell)!

In all seriousness, I think the Silent Hill series embody everything I like about video games! Well, they are close enough anyway.

Cyber_Punk_303
22nd Sep 2002, 08:19
A good game is a game that doesn't feel like a game but an out of body experience...

You know, when you close the game screen, you feel like you've just come back from a far off land...

Godfather
22nd Sep 2002, 19:36
Originally posted by Cyber_Punk_303
A good game is a game that doesn't feel like a game but an out of body experience...

You know, when you close the game screen, you feel like you've just come back from a far off land...

I have that with Lemmings all the time! :D

Cyber_Punk_303
23rd Sep 2002, 22:54
Lol, hey, whatever get's you your happies!

DanO-mulder
24th Sep 2002, 02:48
What makes a good Game?

First and foremost is gameplay..

A lousy control set-up and interface can ruin what would have been a good game. A great game has you playing in any situation without having to spend half a day getting the controls just right, or reaching parts of the Keyboard that are impossible to reach with one hand while jumping thru a flaming hoop.
Not a problem for the more experienced gamer.
Major problem for the beginer or average gamer...By no means should a game cause you to lose interest because you've tried the same thing 501 times to no avail.

A game needs to be very immersive, it also needs to make sense. It needs to have good direction just like a movie.
The player needs to feel that they are accomplishing something, going somewhere, rather than just killing things, pushing levers and buttons with no general direction at all.

A good game makes you Feel for the charactor you are playing.(ala Lara, or the little boy and princess yorda in ICO, very underated game btw)
The player needs to actually , genuinly care about the game charactor and how events in the game effect him.

Sadly, not alot of games are like this.

Sound and Graphics.
A great game needs great sound. (Alice, Silent Hill 2)
Sound (ala SH2 ) is what makes you jump , look at your goosebumps and then go change your pants.
:D

Nowadays good visuals are a must. However, I can sacrifice graphics for an otherwise really great game. But it must be really good.

Last but not least, a game absolutly needs to have a good ending. Or even any ending at all. A surprising amount of games just stop! The end of a Great game needs to build up to a creshendo. Bam!
How many games end with just a credit roll?
Was'nt it TR2 that had Lara shoot the helicopter pilot with that grin on her face? That was a great ending.

Rant over.

rocconorth
24th Sep 2002, 05:59
I think story line and thought provoking puzzles are a must for a good game. To a lesser extent action, but only when it's not over done. Hummm....I think I just described a game we all know well.;)