PDA

View Full Version : Paramount Announcess The Cradle Of Life

MissLara2U
20th Sep 2002, 13:54
Oscar(R)-winner Angelina Jolie is back as Lara Croft, one of the world's most celebrated action heroines to ever hit the big screen, in Lara Croft and The Cradle of Life: Tomb Raider 2. Principal photography on the Paramount Pictures presentation, in association with Mutual Film Company, began recently on the Greek island of Santorini. The film will open nationwide on July 25, 2003.

full press release (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines1193.html)

M.

--
www.tombraiderchronicles.com
www.tombraiderforums.com

Godfather
20th Sep 2002, 14:34
I'm glad to see that Jan De Bont is directing the new Tomb Raider movie. I was a little disappointed with the first film and it's due to Simon West who spend too little time thinking about the action. The first Tomb Raider had to be up there with classic action-films such as "The Rock", "Speed", "Heat", "True lies" and any of the three "Indiana Jones" films. But it wasn't ... it was good after all! But it could have been a lo' better and I hope that it is now done so!

C ya!

DaveJ
20th Sep 2002, 15:17
Speed 2.
The Haunting.

Lets hope its 3rd time lucky for De Bont.

TombRaiderChik
20th Sep 2002, 21:17
ive never seen speed 2, but i heard the first one was way better. and i thought the haunting was an okay movie. i hope that this movie ends up well done...but it probably wont. but i know no matter wut ill love it! :D

Cyber_Punk_303
20th Sep 2002, 21:31
Cool title, but what does it all mea? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN!!?!?!

Nothing.

Lol, j/j... I totally agree with Godfather... The first was great if they kept ALL the deleted scenes in, plus all the rough cuttage that didn't even make it to an extra on the DVD. There should have been better cinematography, better shots of the locations and nature... ANd also, why was Lara training with a ROBOT? They're making it too sci-fi... With all that high-tech gear... Whatever.

ANYWAYS... I loved Speed 2, i don't know why everyone hated it. The Haunting was crappy cuz the action wasen't intense at all, there was no mood or atmosphere, there was no tension!!! And it's supposed to be HORROR!!! Oh well... "Third Time's A Charm" - Hopefully!

Anyone know how long Angelina trained for this movie? In the first movie she trained for 3 months... Just wondering... The more training the better. Compare Charlies Angels' martial arts to the Matrix's martial arts and you'll see the diff.

Cyber_Punk_303
20th Sep 2002, 21:39
One thng the Tomb Raider movie DID get right was Lara's style. She looked really clean, effecient, dark, unique, and Lara-ish. Which is good. I hope they have a longer motorcycle scene in the next movie! Moihahahahaha!!!

Kurtis Trent
20th Sep 2002, 21:59
Though sadly Alex West will not return :(

Godfather
20th Sep 2002, 22:15
Originally posted by Kurtis Trent
Though sadly Alex West will not return :(

Yeah, I respect him for trying something else but Tomb Raider and choosing an actual "acting"-picture instead, but when you look at the actual movie he chose above the second Tomb Raider-film??

I mean: people are talking big about "Road to Perdition", but it's just not a very good movie, you know. It's a pretty good one at the most, but it's made by Hollywood and if there's one thing Hollywood can't do, then it's making maffia-crime movies. The best ones in that particular genre have all been made by independant directors such as Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola and Quintin Tarantino. Period.

Road to perdition'll probably get some oscars again, because the Academy Award Association always makes the wrong mistakes when it comes down to given the Awards to the ones who've actually really earned it.

I'm babbling again ... I gotta quit ... C ya! :D

DaveJ
21st Sep 2002, 08:23
Why is it not a very good movie?
Badly written?
Badly acted?
Badly directed?
Badly shot?
Badly edited?
Badly lit?
Badly scored?
Badly designed?

Or do you mean you just prefer the other movies and theres actually nothing intrinsically wrong with "...Perdition"?

This review was interesting:
Road To Perdition is sheer class — sumptuously filmed, intelligently scripted and with a handful of performances that are only just short of heavenly.

There is more than a touch of The Godfather about Road To Perdition.

You have the painstaking portrayal of a distinct period in America’s history, the twin themes of loyalty and betrayal and the placing of family at the centre of the plot.

And Road To Perdition is less a story about gangsters than a tale of fathers and sons.

Orphan Sullivan is raised by Rooney, who treats him like a a favourite son.

And it’s the bitter jealously of Rooney’s real son Connor (Tomb Raider’s Daniel Craig) that leads to the murder of Sullivan’s family.

But central to the film is the relationship between Sullivan and Mike, a boy desperate to win the love of his cold, unlovable father.

You’ll see few films this year with better acting than Road To Perdition.

Hanks does a tough job exceedingly well, succesfully turning a ruthless professional murderer into a character we feel sympathy for.

The supporting actors are all terrific, especially Stanley Tucci, (America’s Sweethearts) who plays a smooth-as-silk Mafia boss and Jude Law (A.I.) a sleazy assassin who is three parts weasel, one part praying mantis.

But Newman is the star of this show — an amiable white-haired grandad whose every utterance drips menace.

A confrontation scene between him and Hanks in the basement of a church is pure dynamite as he turns on the killer to remind him: “There are only murderers in this room, Michael. Open your eyes.”

British director Sam Mendes showed in American Beauty that he’s got style to spare.

In Road To Perdition he comes up with a couple of flourishes that take your breath away.

The highlight is a climactic shoot-out in a shadowy, rain-drenched street that is filmed without dialogue — reminiscent of the famous finale to The Godfather, but even better.

There are a few small potholes in the Road To Perdition.

The pacing in the early part of the movie is slow — and it’s puzzling why everyone in the Irish clan has an accent except Sullivan.

The ending is also a little too neat — and obvious from almost the very first frame.

But this is not a film about clever twists or re-inventing the crime movie.

In many ways, Road To Perdition is a homage to the great gangster movies of the past.

The really wonderful thing is that it can now take its place among them.

Its also worth noting that of the 3 Directors you mention, only Tarantino works away from the big Hollywood studios. 'Goodfellas' was a Warner Bros film, 'Godfather' was a Paramount movie.

Godfather
21st Sep 2002, 15:32
Hmmm, I guess what I'm trying to say in the end is that I expected a Godfather-lookalike movie and I got quite something else. Don't get me wrong; it's pretty good after all. But I expected a wonderful masterpiece and THAT ... it's not! American beauty was better all the same.

DaveJ
21st Sep 2002, 16:03
Expect a "wonderful masterpiece" every time you see a movie and you're setting yourself up for a fall every time.

Gangster movie notwithstanding, go into the cinema with no expectations whatsoever.

Prelude
21st Sep 2002, 17:52
Originally posted by DaveJ
[B]Why is it not a very good movie?

Badly edited?

With you there 100%

Its cringeable.

DaveJ
21st Sep 2002, 17:56
I've not seen it...I'm asking in all seriousness "why is it not a good movie?" or "why is it a good movie?"

It s unlikely I will see it as I am neither a fan of Gangster movies, Tom Hanks or "American Beauty".....but I am curious as to how it is dividing opinion.

TombRaiderChik
21st Sep 2002, 18:00
hm i dont think that road to perdition couldve gotten any more perfect. that movie was amazing and so was tom hanks, daniel craig and paul newman.

Prelude
21st Sep 2002, 18:25
Sorry crossed wires, I was talking about the first TR movie. Oops.

DaveJ
21st Sep 2002, 20:09
D'oh!
Why I oughta.....

...here, have a C. Bakewell..... on me.