PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else?

Techguy
20th Sep 2002, 04:51
Anyone else wondering what it's gonna feel like playing Thief on a modern engine? I hope it doesn't ruin it's *uniqueness*... if you could call it that. (not so thiefy-like if you catch my meaning). I guess I just fear the game is going to play much like DX-2 will considering, from what we can gather from already known facts, both games could be considered brother-sister based on engine use and development team(s) collaborations. I know a good portion of the old LGS folks are in on the project and i'm sure they can bring the gameplay and story back strong. Maybe I'm just afraid Unreal Warfare is *too* modern.. /shrug
anyone else?

Komag
20th Sep 2002, 06:04
I think it's absolutely impossible for an engine to be "too modern". No way can that ever happen. Style could be "too modern", like T2 style vs TDP style (most of us prefer T1 style), but not the engine capabilities.

Techguy
20th Sep 2002, 09:33
I guess i'm just partial to the Dark engine..even as outdated as it is. What was the next engine gonna be called before it got scrapped? I forget now.

TRoosevelt_26
20th Sep 2002, 13:50
Originally posted by Techguy
I guess i'm just partial to the Dark engine..even as outdated as it is. What was the next engine gonna be called before it got scrapped? I forget now.

They had a new engine that got scrapped? I hadn't heard that one.

Munin the Raven
20th Sep 2002, 18:23
Rumors circulating the net at the time indicate it was going to be called the "Siege" engine.

In my opinion, the actual engine a game is built on doesn't define the game as much as the creativity of the design team. If any of the news given to the public is true, while the Unreal Wafare 2 Engine is being used, the lighting system is being "heavily modified for Thief's needs" and the AI is being "built from the ground up". Those are some serious modifications. So, just because game designers are limited in engine selection doesn't mean the games they produce have to be; they can modify the engine for starters. True, each engine has its advantages and drawbacks, but ultimately it's the designers who make the game what it is.;)