PDA

View Full Version : Bad news from Sweden ...

Godfather
17th Sep 2002, 21:16
Today I read in the newspaper that Marie Fredriksson -leading female singer of Roxette- is suffering from a brain tumor. They don't know yet whether it's serious or not, but all of Roxette's nearby concerts were immediately cancelled.

I was looking forward to seeing Roxette who would start their series of concerts in Belgium somewhere in November during "The Night of the Proms" which would lead them to other European countries later on. Now I'm not so sure whether they'll make it or not, but I'm NOT gonna go to "The Night of the Proms" if they're not present.

But I will be even more miserable when Marie's health is in danger. A brain tumor can be something very serious and whether you're a fan of Roxette or truly hate their music ... the fact remains that Roxette has had its share of influence on popmusic in many, many countries all over the world. I don't wanna think about the worst yet, but it would be simply awful to loose a great person and an even better singer-songwriter such as herself.

Everybody's got his/her hero's/heroines and I can tell you that Marie Fredriksson is one of those people I look up to. I've seen a concert of Roxette before and although they may not be as good as Dire Straits or Queen, Roxette can truly entertain their fans such as few bands can still do today.

I am very sad but hope for the best ... http://216.40.241.68/otn/sad/xldepressed.gif http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/sad/mecry.gif

Data
17th Sep 2002, 21:54
That is sad news. I hope she does not suffer too much. :(

Raider Sunrise
18th Sep 2002, 10:49
I heard it when I was watching MTV yesterday. It's really sad. :(

Godfather
19th Sep 2002, 23:40
Many thanks for your kind replies. She's gotta be alright now! :)

Godfather
20th Sep 2002, 22:54
Here's a "big thank you" from Per Gessle (the other part of Roxette) to all Roxette-fans who have been supporting Marie Fredriksson in every way.

19/09/02 - We have got this message from Per to all the fans:

Dear friends,
On behalf of Marie and myself I would like to thank everyone for thinking/praying/writing/e-mailing good and positive thoughts regarding her illness. As you know, what happened on Sept 11th (that day again!!) took us by complete surprise and last week has been tumultuous for us all to say the least.

As I'm writing this we don't really know what's going to happen with the Night of the Proms-tour. We do know that the single/video “A thing about you” and the album “The Ballad Hits” will be released as planned worldwide and our ambition is still to promote and take part of that process as much as possible.

Once again, thanks for your support and let’s keep our fingers crossed things will turn out for the best for Marie and her family.

Hope to see y’all very soon.

Per G., Stockholm Sep 19, 2002

Godfather
20th Sep 2002, 23:57
Here's a good picture of them back in the early '90s when they were (with a few other bands; of course) in full control of pop-rock music!!

http://roxmaniac.roxette.org/art7.jpg

And here's a very good picture of hers!

http://roxmaniac.roxette.org/wp8_1024x768.jpg

... in case y'all are interested; of course!

Godfather
27th Sep 2002, 16:38
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found out that Roxette isn't coming to the Night of the Proms and therefore I won't be able to see them this year. I have already sold my ticket to someone else.

The good thing is that her brain tumor isn't too serious and that the doctors can get rid of it without any problems or anyone having to worry that there are going to be further problems in the future.

Instead of Roxette, they're getting Simple Minds and Foreigner! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ****?!!!!!!!! Simple Minds were pretty good last year (why ask them again?) and Foreigner is for falling asleep (except two beautiful songs maybe, but those are only listenable in their original version).

Anyway, they should've gotten an artist that was equal in thrill-performance and expectation of the audience. Artists like U2 or Dire Straits ... those people are a match for the great loss of one of the best bands of the past 15 years!

Again I tell you (for anyone who's interested ... IF anyone's interested) the main thing is that Marie Fredriksson is allright!! I wouldn't wanna ask for something else! Who cares about some stupid concert anyway (even IF that concert would get Roxette singing along with some beautiful orchestra which gives their great songs an even ?greater? atmosphere).

The main thing is that Roxette will be back some day and that Marie Fredriksson is almost healthy again.

I shouldn't be thinkin' about this, but ... talking about a total loss when this great artist should have passed on!! Phew! I wonder if Roxette will release another album again (hopefully a bit more in the rock-genre again instead of leaning over to the dance-genre!)

C U!

DaveJ
27th Sep 2002, 16:44
I'm glad she's on the road to recovery, but please....don't put U2 and Roxette in the same arena again.

Godfather
27th Sep 2002, 21:53
Originally posted by DaveJ
I'm glad she's on the road to recovery, but please....don't put U2 and Roxette in the same arena again.

I know. We've had this discussion before ... and it let to nothing. I know that U2 has had more success than Roxette, but that's about it, no? I mean: if I were to create my own world Roxette would have become thé greatest band of all time (even bigger than The Beatles) and U2 would've only had 2 nr.1-hits (One and with or without you) ... and Lara Croft would've been my girlfriend!

*back to reality*

I just found out that Roxette has never had a single nr. 1-hit in England. ??????? *checking Roxette-site* They've had about 4 in America, 5 in Australia, 6 in France and 12 in Canada! HEY! I didn't know this! *after having checked the Roxette-site* Roxette has had nearly 20 nr 1-hits in Belgium!!!!!!!!!

Now, I think they're very good ... but this has got to be a mistake? I'm gonna check on a different site! Anyone wanna back this info up? Anyone interested?

I wonder how successfull they are in their home-country Sweden?

LARAMANIAC
27th Sep 2002, 22:26
I am very sorry that Roxette is having such a bad time of it - I wish her a speedy and full recovery!! Personally I could take them or leave them. I can sing along to any of the hits, I suppose, but only because I have heard them on the radio or seen them on the telly. I wouldn't rush out to buy their albums, but I wouldn't switch off just because they were on. Now Bon Jovi is a totally different cup of tea........................
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/angel09.gif

Godfather
27th Sep 2002, 22:51
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
I am very sorry that Roxette is having such a bad time of it - I wish her a speedy and full recovery!! Personally I could take them or leave them. I can sing along to any of the hits, I suppose, but only because I have heard them on the radio or seen them on the telly. I wouldn't rush out to buy their albums, but I wouldn't switch off just because they were on. Now Bon Jovi is a totally different cup of tea........................

... and since I like tea, I like Bon Jovi too. Although he's already been successful for 20 years, his latest hit sounds a bit rusty.

LARAMANIAC
27th Sep 2002, 22:54
Originally posted by Godfather

... and since I like tea, I like Bon Jovi too. Although he's already been successful for 20 years, his latest hit sounds a bit rusty.

oo oo oo do you think so????? I love it - I thinks its fantastic but then I would.....................

Godfather
28th Sep 2002, 01:08
I just found some interesting stuff on the Roxette-site here:

Apparantly Jon Bon Jovi once asked Per Gessle (the male part of Roxette) whether he didn't feel like writing a song with him. Since 90% upto 95% of all Roxette-songs are written by Per, it's quite obvious why one would show interest in a songwriter such as him. Per Gessle thanked Jon Bon Jovi for the generous offer saying that he was working on a new solo-album ("The world according to Gessle") at the moment and he couldn't leave that project alone. Pity, huh?

Anyway, they're doing fine on their own so there's no need to start whining about it, right? Also: Per Gessle may be the major influence and songwriter for Roxette, but Marie Fredriksson pretty much knows how to write decent songs as well; just take a look at her singing solo-career befòre Roxette when she was even more famous than Per Gessle! Just to point out that she's quite good at both singing, playing the piano or guitar and even writing songs although she's neglected a bit on this last item ever since she ran into Per Gessle in whom she saw her better one as a partner.

(if this doesn't make any sense in any way ... then just shoot me!) :D

Goodnight (it's already *checking* 2:53h.) Time to go to bed! *yawning* *falling asleep in front of computer having sweet dreams of Lara Croft in which she falls in love with ME and ME alone!! Nah!!* :D

LARAMANIAC
28th Sep 2002, 18:11
Interesting information Godfather - I didn't know that!!! Now if Jon Bon Jovi asked me to write a song with him I would just say.......................................(let your imagination run riot!!!) ;)

Godfather
28th Sep 2002, 20:47
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
Interesting information Godfather - I didn't know that!!! Now if Jon Bon Jovi asked me to write a song with him I would just say.......................................(let your imagination run riot!!!) ;)

just say..................... "Yippiiiieeee!"