PDA

View Full Version : Change of plans regarding "The Restored Cathedral"

Zaccheus
17th Sep 2002, 14:55
When is v2 not v2? When it is so completely different from v1 that it becomes a new mission in its own right!
:D

So, instead of calling my new mission TRC v2, it will now simply be called "The Hammer Cathedral".

After its final release, "The Hammer Cathedral" will then be ported to Thief2 and released as "The Mechanist Cathedral". This way, those of you who do not have ThiefGold (or even Thief TDP) can still enjoy the fruits of my labour.

Now, this leaves the question of what to do with the humble TRC v1 mission.
I've decided to give "The Hammer Cathedral" a rest for a while and have gone back to TRC v1 to fix most of the bugs and other shortcomings. This will be released as "The Restored Cathedral v1.1" in the not too distant future.
It will still be the same old simple mini-mission, but the lighting will be sorted out, I'll add a lot more AIs & loot, and there'll be a nice little surprise for you at the end.
;)

So, lots to look forward to:

"The Restored Cathedral v1.1": October 2002
"The Hammer Cathedral": Early 2003
"The Mechanist Cathedral": Some time 2003

Huntress
18th Sep 2002, 23:19
Well whatever it's called finally...I'll still be there to get it downloaded when released :) Thanks for the updated info and hope it will be a relatively easy process for you ;) Just keep posting a few screenies to wet our appetites now and then huh ? LOL Ta and Good Hunting!

Vanguard
19th Sep 2002, 02:21
I don't think you should use a nearly completely new FM title for the ported T2 version since it would be confusing as to whether it was supposed to be a unique mission or ported (users can't read the FM comments until they download it). Maybe you should call the TG version "Hammer Cathedral (TG)" and the T2 version "Hammer Cathedral (T2)" (and leave out the "The" prefix word in the FM's title since this just mixes your FM in along with all the 50+ other FM's that start with "The").

Nightwalker
19th Sep 2002, 02:25
It sounds like it will be worth waiting for, Zaccheus! Thanks for the update. :)

Zaccheus
19th Sep 2002, 21:34
Thanks for the feedback, guys and gals.
:)

Huntress, I will be doing a few screenshots real soon, honest.
I'll do one of the garden area of The Restored Cathedral and one of an Inn/Guesthouse/Pub which is in the mission "Hammer Cathedral".
:cool:

Vanguard, you are absolutely right on all points.

If it were a simple port, then it would have the same name.

But it will be a different story and background, different objectives, and probably some extra areas to explore.
Most importantly, it will be a mechanist cathedral.

And it will be the last mission in the series (honest).
;)

As for the name, leaving out the 'The' also helps to make the mission name sound better (especially in German).

So, it will be:
"The Restored Cathedral" (v1.1)
"Hammer Cathedral"
"Mechanist Cathedral"

theBlackman
19th Sep 2002, 22:55
I truly enjoyed the first one, so this should make me ecstatically happy. :D

ZylonBane
20th Sep 2002, 16:44
Now wait a minute...

I'm assuming that TRC and Hammer Cathedral will be set before the fall of the Old City. But what about Mechanist Cathedral? Mechanists didn't even exist until after Thief 1, and they likely won't exist in strength after the end of Thief 2, so are you proposing that within that narrow span of time they went into the Old City and restored an entire cathedral? Or did they build an exact duplicate of the cathedral elsewhere? These seem like the only two possible explanations, and neither strikes me as very probable.

BTW, the names Hammer/Mechanist Cathedral are terribly generic. Surely you can come up with titles that give some specific hint to the nature of the mission or the characters involved. Imagine if "The Inverted Manse" had just been called "Hammerite Factory". Bleah.

Zaccheus
20th Sep 2002, 18:40
As stated over and over again, TRC is set between Thief 1 and Thief 2.

As for the name ... hmm good point, but there are far more generic names out there, such as 'Revenge'.
I don't think it's a problem really, as there is only really one Cathedral in the OMs and we all know what it is.

clayman
20th Sep 2002, 23:34
Feh. The Restored Cathedral was excellent. Get off Zacheus' case ! You people who are over-analyzing this are in need of a colic, ASAP. Who's confusin' the Gold with the Metal ? Any improvement over the original is most appreciated ! Get off him and thank him for his efforts ! I don't understand people who criticize a storyline which they only perceive, but not understand, and still suck at the gameplay. ZylonBane...think about what you are saying before you emit. :)

Vanguard
21st Sep 2002, 02:03
I see no problem with Mechanists taking over a Hammerite cathedral. It's made of stone and that's okay with Mechanists. Its wood building they don't like. In fact, with Mechanists taking over the Hammerite cathedral, I wouldn't be surprised that there could be a Hammerite secret right under the Mechanists' feet.

theBlackman
21st Sep 2002, 03:34
Originally posted by clayman
Feh. The Restored Cathedral was excellent. Get off Zacheus' case ! You people who are over-analyzing this are in need of a colic, ASAP. Who's confusin' the Gold with the Metal ? Any improvement over the original is most appreciated ! Get off him and thank him for his efforts ! I don't understand people who criticize a storyline which they only perceive, but not understand, and still suck at the gameplay. ZylonBane...think about what you are saying before you emit. :)

And to add my $1.59 ( I can be had but I'm not cheap). The bulk, majority, most, nearly all, who know Zacch and his FM's and who have been playing THIEF, -some before day one- are not going to be confused, irritated, frustrated, upset or mentally disturbed because of a title (any title) least of all "Restored Cathedral". Especially since the V1 appeared some months ago and is recognized for what it is. It is fun, a fresh look at an old friend, and, although not what some of us might have done -if we could- it is a view from a different mind, different location and is to be enjoyed not RANKED ON like a game of "THE MOTHERS ".

Clayman has it right. Think. Opine without insulting or just "shut your face".

Keeper Collins
21st Sep 2002, 14:49
It does'nt matter when they come it just matters that they get out.Don't be rushed us taffers, you just take your time. But I don't think I could imangiane the chathedral in thief 2 version but I'm sure it will look much better!

Zaccheus
15th Oct 2002, 12:21
TRC v1.1 Beta coming soon ...

I'm just finishing off a few details ... and then hopefully I can do a Beta release this weekend (or possibly next).
:)

I might port what was going to be v2 ("Hammer Cathedral") straight to Thief2, so that there will only be two missions:
TRCv1.1 and (The) Mechanist Cathedral.

Zaccheus
30th Oct 2002, 13:46
V2 will now almost certainly be for Thief 2.

It will have an entierly new story line and objectives.

Here is some early 'concept art' based on what I had done in DromEd 1 so far:
The Mechanist Cathedral (http://www.rcl-software.org.uk/thief/missions/cathedral/mechanist/)

Sneak
2nd Nov 2002, 19:23
Zaccheus,
I should have posted sooner. I for sure am going to play your revision of this as soon as I finish what I am working on. Right now I am in the middle of Ycatx's mission pack and have a ways to go.

But I shall get too it;)