PDA

View Full Version : I need help! Dos prompt closes too quickly

Thorin Oakenshield
16th Sep 2002, 22:55
Hi All,
When I optimise a small area using an area brush the dos prompt opens and closes as quickly as that. I have a coplaner error I must find. How can I keep the window open? Is there a command for dromed?

I'm running XP pro:confused:
Thanks

theBlackman
17th Sep 2002, 00:47
I thought DOS was not supported in XP. That might be why you are having that FLASH of DOS.

Xcom
17th Sep 2002, 00:51
Ooh, Xp is not good when working with DOS :p

Anyway, I dunno if this can be done in or with DromED itself but I can offer you this (until you find a better way):

1) Rename csgmerge.exe to csg.exe
2) In Thief2 folder create a batch file, called csgmerge.bat
Open it (Right click->Edit) in Notepad and paste exactly this line into it:
csg %1 %2 %3 >>junk.txt

Save and close the file. Now try optimizing in DromED. Hopefully, IF it finishes, you'll find a text file called junk.txt in Thief2 dir. which will contain the output.

Ps: I've tested this and it seems to work in my case but then again, I have win98. :D Have no clue if this will work in XP but you can give it a shot.

Stile451
17th Sep 2002, 01:10
All programs associated with Dromed are Windows command prompt programs, not DOS programs.

Komag
17th Sep 2002, 03:24
So Thorin, did Xcom's method work?

Thorin Oakenshield
17th Sep 2002, 19:14
Yep it works. Thanks;)
It's a pain in the arse though. You have to open it each time.

Xcom: How do you make it add a blank line after each optimise? It just tacks each one on the next line.

Salvage: Isn't Dos prompt and command prompt the same thing? They are both prompts which allow you to use DOS commands:confused:

Surely there should be a command to keep this window open until I close it. I have a modem tweak program which makes the prompt window stay open. Until then though this is a work around.
Thanks.;)

Xcom
17th Sep 2002, 19:23
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
Xcom: How do you make it add a blank line after each optimise? It just tacks each one on the next line.

Blank line is difficult in the current setup. What you can do is delete one of these ">"so the line in the batch file reads:

csg %1 %2 %3 >junk.txt

This will replace text every time rather than appending it.
However if you want blank line delimiter per se - post and I tell you how.

I am glad it worked, btw. :D

Thorin Oakenshield
17th Sep 2002, 19:59
Thanks Xcom;)
If only MS would leave things alone. I'm still searching for the right way of doing it. It has to be there somewhere:confused:

I know of the pause command. Could you work out a way to make it show the optimisation and pause (waiting for a key press)??

Xcom
17th Sep 2002, 20:11
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield

I know of the pause command. Could you work out a way to make it show the optimisation and pause (waiting for a key press)??

Hey, how the hell didn't I think of this before. Of course. Make your csgmerge.bat look like this:

csg %1 %2 %3
choice

Note: it will no loger write junk.txt but will (should) present you with [y/n] choice in the end of dos window. You should press y or n to close the window. (doesn't matter which). I just hope Xp has this command supported.

Thorin Oakenshield
17th Sep 2002, 21:50
Xcom A Thousand Thank You's :D

I now have:-
csg %1 %2 %3
pause

choice didn't work under xp.
I now just press any key to exit the command prompt;) I'll post this solution at ttlg too where I asked this Q.

Xcom
17th Sep 2002, 22:04
Hehe. No problem.

Sometimes, knowlegde of old dos commands comes in handy. ;)
*I miss those times*

stikboy
18th Sep 2002, 22:27
Thanks XCOM !!!! :)

I had given up on an answer to this months ago when no one could figure it out. Glad there's finally an answer :)

Thorin, The command Prompt and the DOS prompt are basically the same thing. But, starting with Win2K, the actual DOS operating system was not built into the Windows code. Thus a "new" operating systen was born. And since there is technically no DOS left, it can't be a DOS prompt. So now it's a "command line".

The above is not 100% correct, but just enough to give the general idea

Zaccheus
19th Sep 2002, 11:58
Command Prompt
Using the command prompt from Start>Programs, you can launch any Windows application (e.g. NOTEPAD.EXE), hence it is certainly not a DOS command prompt.