PDA

View Full Version : New Hitman2 forum, Comments please!

MindBuster
16th Sep 2002, 19:21
How do you like the design/layout?

http://www.hitman2forum.com

The board is just started on a 2*1000 megabit connection so it should be faaaast, located in europe, Denmark to be exactly, not far from IOI headquarters, the birthplace of hitman.

When there's enough members/post, then moderators are needed.

Please comment.

Zaphod
16th Sep 2002, 21:08
Congrats, MindBuster - keep up the good work.

Several things: Too dark. I'm not a big fan of black backgrounds, especially on messageboards. I really liked the color scheme on HitmanForum.com (are you just a poster there, or do you help oversee those boards?) I like the red accent color on your new forums a LOT - it looks exactly like the red accent colors in the Hitman menu screens. But white text on black background is 1) harder for most people to read and 2) still looks a little to "WeLcOmE 2 MY SLIPNOT F4NPAGE!" to me; a little too Geocities. But that's just personal preference.

I'm also not a fan of splash pages with just a "click to enter" icon and no other text. Always seems like a waste of code and clicks (however, I realize that this could just be a placeholder until you get some more content up).

However, it seems like you have some well-thought-out forums and nice distinctions between them. You're not trying to start out with too many (which I've done in the past), but you have just enough that everyone won't have to post in one Giant Catchall Forum. That's a tricky balance. As release dates approach, you might want to add Tech and Hints/Cheats forums to the console sections, or the above-described Giant Forum Quagmire could ensue.

{Edit} One more thing. Having the "Email User When Someone Replies to this Thread" being turned ON by default will annoy your members and suck up your server's resources with needless emails. Go into your control panel and turn it OFF by default. That's my advice, anyway. {/Edit}

But, all in all, well done!

MindBuster
16th Sep 2002, 23:48
Originally posted by Zaphod
Congrats, MindBuster - keep up the good work.

Several things: Too dark. I'm not a big fan of black backgrounds, especially on messageboards. I really liked the color scheme on HitmanForum.com (are you just a poster there, or do you help oversee those boards?) I like the red accent color on your new forums a LOT - it looks exactly like the red accent colors in the Hitman menu screens. But white text on black background is 1) harder for most people to read and 2) still looks a little to "WeLcOmE 2 MY SLIPNOT F4NPAGE!" to me; a little too Geocities. But that's just personal preference.

About the too dark, easy to get used to AND it's dark that way because it looks like another board i post at (having 44000+ members and over 2mill posts) so some like it.

I'm also not a fan of splash pages with just a "click to enter" icon and no other text. Always seems like a waste of code and clicks (however, I realize that this could just be a placeholder until you get some more content up).

You're right, it's a placeholder for upcoming stuff like video-walkthroughs and such.

However, it seems like you have some well-thought-out forums and nice distinctions between them. You're not trying to start out with too many (which I've done in the past), but you have just enough that everyone won't have to post in one Giant Catchall Forum. That's a tricky balance. As release dates approach, you might want to add Tech and Hints/Cheats forums to the console sections, or the above-described Giant Forum Quagmire could ensue.

Thanks, i'm considering expanding the consoles forums with atleast Hints/Cheats forum, about the tech stuff for console users, there's not much into plugging the system to the TV and play the game, no drivers/DX upgrade or anything are needed for consoles, but lets see how it goes, then maybe.

One more thing. Having the "Email User When Someone Replies to this Thread" being turned ON by default will annoy your members and suck up your server's resources with needless emails. Go into your control panel and turn it OFF by default. That's my advice, anyway. {/Edit}

But, all in all, well done!

Umm, no!
Because many ppl just sign up and post once and then maybe doesnt show up again, the email in their inbox is a good reminder of they signed up for the board. ppl should be serious about signing, wanting to stay.

Again, many thanks for your ideas and comments, taking in to consideration.

:cool:

/EDIT
Oh, misread the last part about email notification when there's a reply to a post, read it as confirmation email for signing up.
Sure, it should be turned off by default, hmm, maybe even completely removed!!!! I'll look into that.

Thanks again. :cool:

xarax
3rd Oct 2002, 16:45
The video walkthrough forum is restricted.:mad: