PDA

View Full Version : my turn to ask a question :D

amievil?
15th Sep 2002, 23:59
ok, what im trying to do is this: i have an ai behind a certain door...i want them to be able to hear me but not alert until i open the door thats right in front of them. sort of like the hammers in undercover alert when you steal the gold....ive tried aiwatchobj link but that seems to have no effect. only thing i didnt try was the (alert) under where play sound/motion is. any suggestions?

Apache
16th Sep 2002, 02:15
I seem to recall a metaprop by the name of SuspisiousDoor ?? Not certain but the name is something like that..Not sure also how to use it..but it might give you a start.

Xcom
16th Sep 2002, 03:15
Originally posted by Apache
I seem to recall a metaprop by the name of SuspisiousDoor ?? Not certain but the name is something like that..Not sure also how to use it..but it might give you a start.

Under Evidence->M-CuriousDoor. That's probably what you mean.
However I am not sure how to use it.

amievil?, your question got me thinking cuz I, maybe, will be using something very similar. Anyway, I was able to achieve the effect by rather complex set-up. There is probably an easier way ;)

I created a custom metaproperty under AI_Bahaviors and called it M-NoMedAlert (there is probably something like this already existing but I am too lazy to search for it). To that metaproperty I added AI->AI Core->Alertness Cap= Low:None:None, also added AI->Attributes->Vision=Null (just for the fun of it) and gave this metaproperty to the guard.

Then I made a usual coversation setup (+DestroyTrap to delete the conversation marker). When conversation is played, it should remove M-NoMedAlert from the guard and he should become "normal" again. Next I added StdButton script to the door (and checked "Don't inherit" or otherwise it doesn't seem to work) and cd-linked it to the conversation marker and destroy trap and voila.

What basically happens, is that until you open the door, you can jump and run near it and the guard will be saying "I think I heard something", etc. and never go beyond low alert.

Telliamed_
16th Sep 2002, 05:54
That's ugly as sin.

Instead of messing with scripts on the door, I'd put a marker on the other side of the door and AIWatch link the AI to it. Give it a line requirement of 'Line of Sight' and the AI will only react when the door is open. It's already a pseudo-script, so you can add links, screw around with metaprops, etc.

And people really need to get out of the bad habit of using StdButton on everything. What you really should have used was TrigDoorOpen.

Ohyeah, another thing. When adding scripts, delete the names of already existing scripts. Scripts are inherited by default, so you don't have to repeat them every time you add another one.

Xcom
16th Sep 2002, 16:33
Originally posted by Telliamed
That's ugly as sin.

Told ya :p

Instead of messing with scripts on the door, I'd put a marker on the other side of the door and AIWatch link the AI to it. Give it a line requirement of 'Line of Sight' and the AI will only react when the door is open. It's already a pseudo-script, so you can add links, screw around with metaprops, etc.

Tried this and couldn't get it to work. :confused: There is probably something I ain't doing right. Do you need to specify radius on the marker or something?

And people really need to get out of the bad habit of using StdButton on everything. What you really should have used was TrigDoorOpen.

Ohyeah, another thing. When adding scripts, delete the names of already existing scripts. Scripts are inherited by default, so you don't have to repeat them every time you add another one.

That is useful info, thanks.

amievil?
16th Sep 2002, 22:33
telliamed, was i not on the right trail when i did this link to the door. i didnt try line of sight on it.. ill try this and see what happens. basically what im doing is i have an ai sitting in the john and i dont want them to alert unless you open the door on them hehehe( i had the ai set with front gate gaurd property).....

apache, i have a thought that the metaproperty you refer to would seem to me that they would become suspicous or even alerted if that door is open...perhaps using that property and an aiwatchobj link to the door would work too.....ill try all of these things and let you all know how it works out :)

amievil?
17th Sep 2002, 01:25
i finally got it to work. i used the simple solution. for no more than i needed i just made the ai deaf and it worked fine...well almost anyway. when the ai alerts (its sitting down) it stands up and jumps back, causing itself to get its foot stuck in the toilet! so it stands there and goes help help! hehe thats fine by me becuase thats basically the way i wanted it to work. if i had needed this type of thing to happen at a location other than where it is, i would be taking all of your advice into great consideration. thanks anyway for the help guys, even though i used the simple way.

(the ai is female, thought of using a conversation where she says "get out of here you pervert!" but decided against it haha)

Telliamed_
18th Sep 2002, 05:28
Originally posted by amievil?
telliamed, was i not on the right trail when i did this link to the door.

Not to the door but through the door. The idea is that when the door is closed, the line of sight is blocked so the AI ignores that watch link. But once he can see it, he'll act on it. And yeah, like any watch link you needs a radius of some sort to actually trigger it.

(the ai is female, thought of using a conversation where she says "get out of here you pervert!" but decided against it haha)
She's not the same guard from Errand Boy, is she? Poor girl...

amievil?
21st Sep 2002, 23:58
nah, this one is in dromed 1, a female servant hehe..

geez in this fm you can really get a stampede started easily....all she or any of them have to do is yell for help and your screwed basically ;)