PDA

View Full Version : Startopia 2, I hope not!!

Scuzzy
15th Sep 2002, 19:40
Ok, ok people, calm down. Before you all bite my head off, I know there isn't going to be a Startopia 2. But thankfully, this is probably for the better.

I'm sure all of you got so into one game that you were sad to see a sequel come out and totally ruin it for you. Startopia should have no sequel, but add-ons done by us the fans.

I have no idea whether this is possible, but is anyone attempting to design their own rooms and peeps for Startopia?? I have thought about it and would love to see more variety in the game. Their are already Fan made missions, which I'm having great fun playing and commend those who wrote them, but I have a yerning for more peeps, pets and pests in the game - not to mention more rooms!! I have a few cool ideas, as do other imaginative people.

So all I'm saying is that it is probably possible to design your own stuff and post it for the world to download, I just haven't met anyone who can do this yet - short of the "Startopian-programmers".

Umm...thats all really...sooo...umm...post any thoughts on the subject.

Azuriel
15th Sep 2002, 21:00
*prepares rotten-tomato assault battery*

MR?
15th Sep 2002, 21:45
this has been tried before but without the scource code(sp?) we canĀ“t do anything. There has been many tries to do this but noone has worked.

Ghyron
16th Sep 2002, 13:57
Originally posted by Scuzzy
Ok, ok people, calm down. Before you all bite my head off, I know there isn't going to be a Startopia 2. But thankfully, this is probably for the better.

I'm sure all of you got so into one game that you were sad to see a sequel come out and totally ruin it for you. Startopia should have no sequel, but add-ons done by us the fans.

I have no idea whether this is possible, but is anyone attempting to design their own rooms and peeps for Startopia?? I have thought about it and would love to see more variety in the game. Their are already Fan made missions, which I'm having great fun playing and commend those who wrote them, but I have a yerning for more peeps, pets and pests in the game - not to mention more rooms!! I have a few cool ideas, as do other imaginative people.

So all I'm saying is that it is probably possible to design your own stuff and post it for the world to download, I just haven't met anyone who can do this yet - short of the "Startopian-programmers".

Umm...thats all really...sooo...umm...post any thoughts on the subject.

Good idea, you better start working now.

Scuzzy
16th Sep 2002, 18:56
I take it with responses like that you are all quite p****d off because they won't be releasing the coding.

Oh well, can't blame me for asking. In your opinion, do you think the coding will be released any time soon?? - if it isn't this game is going no where.

Ghyron
16th Sep 2002, 23:28
Well, unless your willing to do lots of work on this project, none of us are willing to do anything for you.

AlphaOmega
17th Sep 2002, 05:32
Source code is rarely ever released, publishers decisions mostly. They very rarely ever give out any source code, and when they do it's in the 5-10 year range.

Even if you were to acquire it, what would you do with it? The community is not large enough to contain the kind of talent to do anything useful to the code.

Scuzzy
17th Sep 2002, 19:34
Fair enough, Startopia is now in the bin.

Gemslug
25th Sep 2002, 16:38
No don't give up- their is talent out there!!!:)

Scuzzy
25th Sep 2002, 19:49
Unless you're it, its been made pretty clear that there is no talent in these boards - so the person with talent isn't here.

Gemslug
9th Oct 2002, 19:21
I realize that their may be no talent on these boards (no offence)
but they're people out there. Their are people who can hack into games and take code and all sorts of crap from games. If they can do that why can't we do something like they (within the boundries of law). I mean we have people who edit the games code to give them advantages (like turning power boosters constant E25 cost, off). So how long till someone cracks the code to make furniture-or their own alien races?

P.S. THis may sound really stupid and I may have missed the point.

Hand-E-Food
9th Oct 2002, 22:57
You're absolutely right, those people exist, but none (to my knowledge) have hacked StarTopia. The most that I've seen is rewriting mission scripts and skins. The Free Power Booster Upkeep cheat is a number in a text file: missions\00\build changers in00.txt and the option to change this is advertised in the Mod Guide.

cryptophore
10th Oct 2002, 07:44
Oh there's people here who could theoretically hack new things into startopia provided source code. I'm one of them. But I'm not going to waste my time trying to reverse-engineer without source code.

Citybuilder
10th Oct 2002, 18:08
Originally posted by Scuzzy
I take it with responses like that you are all quite p****d off because they won't be releasing the coding.

Oh well, can't blame me for asking. In your opinion, do you think the coding will be released any time soon?? - if it isn't this game is going no where.

The game is already nowhere. It screamed to a screeching halt when the people stated that there would not be a ST2. That killed it for me, I returned it to EBx for a $3.50 exchange value towards purchasing something else.

I think it was too innovative and strayed too far from most clone games that have come out over the years. People are like sheep, we follow the others and we dont want to stray too far from the herd. There are of course exceptions to the rules. I liked it, but after playing it and no sight of ST2 in the works, it didnt make sence to keep it sitting on my shelves any longer. Without new content, it became stale and same-o same-o feeling.

MunkeeChum
10th Oct 2002, 18:34
Originally posted by Citybuilder

The game is already nowhere. It screamed to a screeching halt when the people stated that there would not be a ST2. That killed it for me, I returned it to EBx for a $3.50 exchange value towards purchasing something else.

I think it was too innovative and strayed too far from most clone games that have come out over the years. People are like sheep, we follow the others and we dont want to stray too far from the herd. There are of course exceptions to the rules. I liked it, but after playing it and no sight of ST2 in the works, it didnt make sence to keep it sitting on my shelves any longer. Without new content, it became stale and same-o same-o feeling.

Are you saying people dont buy games when there isn't going to be a sequel?

That cant be true because often developers only make sequels based on the success of the first game. And, how would the consumer know if they were going to want a sequel if they dont play the game in the first place?

Citybuilder
10th Oct 2002, 20:44
Originally posted by MunkeeChum

Are you saying people dont buy games when there isn't going to be a sequel?

That cant be true because often developers only make sequels based on the success of the first game. And, how would the consumer know if they were going to want a sequel if they dont play the game in the first place?

No! I said that it killed the game for me. Often times when there is at least hope of a sequel, I will keep playing the game to keep up on it. When someone announces that there will be *NO* sequel, that kills it for me. It's done, it's dead, I dont care to play it anymore, because I know that there wont be anything new coming out that is based on the original.

I think a better approach to it, is to continue saying Maybe there will be a sequel. If I am ready to purchase a game, I go to the forums to see what people are saying, so..... Had I deliberated on purchaseing ST, and come to the forum to see what people said and come across a post from a developer saying it didnt sell well, and there would be no sequel, then I probably wouldnt buy the game to begin with. I like to play certain games, and if there is no hope for the line to continue, I couldnt be bothered to buy it in the first place. I know I'd be missing a bunch of cool stuff, but overall, knowing tha there is no chance of a sequel, makes me steer away from the original. I didnt used to be like that, I used to just purchase every game that came out in the genres that I enjoy playing and hope that there would be a sequel for those that I liked, but I guess Im finding that original games are now being made with sequels in mind, unfortunately if it doesnt sell well, then there wont be a sequel, so all the cool ideas of the developers that didnt make it into the original because they and the publishers planned on a sequel and knew they would need content so they split it up, or because of time or budget constraints. Case in point, Civ 3, I believe that it should have had multiplayer to begin with, but that would have left little to make a sequel for, sure you could add new lands, new troops, but overall it would then have been an expansion pack.

In any event, it doesnt matter, this is a dead horse that we're talking about. Heck, I can't even find it in my local stores anymore. I believe I saw it in an EB a couple months ago at around $9.99

Dark Blood
10th Oct 2002, 21:29
mad:
ya'all making a big deal out of nothing. Personally I would take expansions over sequels any day but that's not the point.
the fact is that if there isn't anymore to the game from edios or mucky foot then we need to accept that.

that doesn't mean there is no more to the game. User mission, and skins and other adjustments. Hell if nothing else the freaking community we set up. Think about it.

In the entire world, both real and online. with all the activity, diviserion, good news, bad news, thrills, chills and crap out there, each and every one of us has chosen to come here because it calls to us. If you didn't care you wouldn't hit this site.

:cool: now for those of you who are like me and too stubborn to give up on expansion/sequel, or perhaps a little too crazy or even stupid, I have a suggestion.:cool:

Start a campaign. Everyone who likes this game, believes in it's potential. Write letters and email to MuckyFoot. Get a HUGE fanbase to them to show them that if they can get someone (not eidos) to put the money up for a new Startopia story there will be a profit for them. Tell your friends, tell people who like the game but aren't email people. Share the game with you friends. Spread the word.

Star Trek lasted 3 season and was canned due to low ratings, look at it now!

WHOSE WITH ME! ;)

Hand-E-Food
11th Oct 2002, 05:20
ME!

So lets see, that makes... 2.

And I'm sorry to say, but I think the highest were going to get is about 200. That's more than the number of people that have ever visited this forum. The best we can do is beg them for the code or some professional modding tools and make it a community project. That's why I've started on TexTopia.

MunkeeChum
11th Oct 2002, 09:31
I'm sorry to say but the Startopia fanbase peaked a while aho and since then we have been losing members. Most of the old faces haven't been posting lately. Startopia fans are a dying breed.

And CityBuilder there is going to be a CIV III expansion CIV III: Play the World.

Gemslug
11th Oct 2002, 15:07
I don't care what :mad: people:mad: say or think of me- in truth I think some people(I was afraid to say this) are stupid. I mean people play really crap games like Deer Hunter or one of the Sims Expansion packs and I think to myself-why what makes those games so attractive when they could be playing something new and inventive, instead of retarded trash. How many games have fallen because they were new or inventive. **** the crowd, I'm in. :mad:

Citybuilder
11th Oct 2002, 18:12
Originally posted by MunkeeChum
I'm sorry to say but the Startopia fanbase peaked a while aho and since then we have been losing members. Most of the old faces haven't been posting lately. Startopia fans are a dying breed.

And CityBuilder there is going to be a CIV III expansion CIV III: Play the World.

Yes, I realize the expansion or sequel, but my point was that they left out multiplayer in the first place to accomodate having something for the expansion. I have no inside knowledge, but this seems to be a trend, whereby the developers and or publishers are holding back on features to add into an expansion or sequel. If the game didnt sell well, and it was a great game (like startopia) then we would all miss out on certain features or aspects that were held for an expansion or sequel that never comes.

More in detail, I only used Civ III as an example, overall, I found Civ III unweildy to play after a certain point in time. The game starts to play itself basically since It's way beyond me to keep track of every city I have in my control and what they are producing so I just let them manage themselves and turn to conquest, which as I understand is not the usual Civ 3 players of an ideal game in C3.

Hand-E-Food
11th Oct 2002, 22:48
Originally posted by Citybuilder
the developers and or publishers are holding back on features to add into an expansion or sequel.
Perfect marketting. You get the original game out quickly, before the hype dies down and the technology is three years old (ala John Romero), and then you make even more money when you re-realease the new improved version. Money, money, money. That's all it's about nowadays. In a lot of cases it's only the comunity who cares about the game.

JonasBane
12th Oct 2002, 03:25
I don't think its a conscoius effort on the part of the developer to leave certain elements out of a game so they have material for an expansion or whatnot. It does come down to time and money, but not in the way you might expect. I'm guessing that the publisher has a release date in mind that they want to see the game on the shelves. Maybe Chrismas, or have a playable demo by E3, or something to give to review magazines and websites so they can get the word out.

The developer is put into a time crunch. The original artistic vision gets trimmed down. Features are cut because there simply isn't enough time to get them done. With the choice between polishing a core group of parts for the game or haphazardly throwing in a bunch of half finished products, I think the developer would rather go for the polish. So we didn't get the fighting pit, but we did get a good game. And maybe someday we'll get to play with the source code or some more editing tools.

Sham
1st Nov 2002, 23:25
With Startopia selling just about 15.500 copies, I doubt that Eidos Marketing will let it even off the drawing board, unfortunately. Which is ironic, as that very department killed the game

MunkeeChum
2nd Nov 2002, 11:55
Its a lost cause guys, the most we can do is support Startopia until its dying day.....

So keep modding guys, keep telling all your mates about Startopia but dont desert it.

Inafiscisis
2nd Feb 2003, 04:36
The next time I see a sheep, I'm gonna shoot it between the eyes with a sawed-off shotgun...*baaa*

kool_kats_rule
2nd Feb 2003, 10:58
Well we're heading for the chinese year of the sheep. Shotgun, anyone?

Hand-E-Food
3rd Feb 2003, 02:23
??? Sheep?

Inafiscisis
3rd Feb 2003, 22:39
well...anyone can make a mistake, right? they're both 4-legged and ugly...wait...that description will cover 99.9% of every land mammal on this planet.

Oh, and would someone explain munkeeCheeese(whatever)'s sig? i don't get it...

Hand-E-Food
4th Feb 2003, 02:23
What on Earth started that topic?

MunkeeChum
4th Feb 2003, 21:15
Originally posted by Inafiscisis

Oh, and would someone explain munkeeCheeese(whatever)'s sig? i don't get it...

Its Alan Partridge my favorite comedy character. And he says on one particualry amusing occastion: monkey tennis

Inafiscisis
4th Feb 2003, 21:51
Oh...thanks. Good to know some1 actually reads what I write, rather than just make fun of it :p

kool_kats_rule
8th Feb 2003, 10:31
Actually it's the year of the goat/sheep/ram depending on how you look at it. A bit like the year of the pig/wild boar depends on the people.

Inafiscisis
8th Feb 2003, 12:03
the goat and the sheep are two distinctly different spieces(did I spell that right...?). You can't say that it's the year of the sheep just because both are small and produce wool. That's like saying that a solomonfish and a shark are the same. They both produce fish meat. (Once again, my spelling might be incorrect)

kool_kats_rule
9th Feb 2003, 13:16
No it's because it was made up by different people in different places, and they combined it to make one that everyone could use. But it has strangeness, like the year of the rabbit can also be called the year of the cat.

Personally I don't need to worry, because I'm a dragon whoever you ask.

Hand-E-Food
10th Feb 2003, 02:11
'Cos they both have kittens!

I was going to say it could also be the year of the Memau, but they have Skrashers.

Inafiscisis, if you're really worried about your spelling, which we're not, write in MS Word and cut and paste it.

Overmind
14th Feb 2003, 13:25
Actually, Skrashers have Memaus- the Memau is the cute juvenile form and the Skrasher is the thing that gives birth asexually to Memaus while going around killing people...[EVIL GRIN]

Why the doom, gloom and destruction in these posts? You may as well be writing GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA GOODBYE STARTOPIA ....
all day long, and it would mean much the same thing.

Read the following carefully.

Startopia is one of the best games I have ever played, and those who rely on expansion packs all day will forever be dissapointed when the game goes out of fashion. An earlier post noted that people are like sheep- well spotted- but only because they want to be. Startopia has multiplayer support, right?

When you get bored of missions, or complete them all, go to sandbox. When bored of sandbox (normally happens faster) go play some humans, for heaven's sake! And in competition with other people, you will find all the motivation you need to play again... and again... and again... and again, for many a livelong day.