PDA

View Full Version : LARA - Lovely Attractive Rocking Adventurer!!

Godfather
14th Sep 2002, 13:46
Who in this forum agrees with me that Lara Croft in TRLR is more beautiful than ever? Some of the pictures are really realistically done and it's such a shame that we're gonna have to watch her back constantly rather than her front (although now that I think about it: it would probably make playing the game much more difficult coz you can't see what's coming ...) :rolleyes:

Check this out (and the entire site; for that matter!!)

http://www.tombraider.com/wallpapers/11_1024x768.jpg

http://www.tombraider.com/wallpapers/7_1024x768.jpg

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 15:36
Sorry....I'm playing Resident Evil on Gamecube at the moment and Jill Valentine knocks her into a ****ed hat.....

Godfather
14th Sep 2002, 17:04
Originally posted by DaveJ
Sorry....I'm playing Resident Evil on Gamecube at the moment and Jill Valentine knocks her into a ****ed hat.....

In your dreams ... :rolleyes:

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 18:09
No its true.

If you haven't played the game, and haven't seen quite simply the most amazing graphics in a video game ever, don't knock it.

RE on the GC is like you really are in control of a CGI movie.

Jill is looking far more realistic than the new screenies of AoD Lara.

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 18:19
Heres an example...this is not FMV, this is an in-game gameplay shot.

http://phaideaux1.homestead.com/files/sshot1.jpg

Godfather
14th Sep 2002, 18:26
Headstrong as I can be sometimes, I have to tell you that I already DID play a 'Resident Evil'-game before (although I don't know which one in particular) and honestly: I wasn't that amazed by the game. I remember that it started at a bus that was on fire and I was in the police station a little later and got attacked there by zombies too. It was a nice game, but the graphics weren't any better than the ones in Tomb Raider.

And that girl was nothing special and by far not as beautiful as Lara Croft.

BUT, I respect your opinion and in the end I'm all too happy that you've chosen Jill above Lara Croft. That way Lara Croft is mine ... all mine!!

... and Lara is waaaay cooler and tougher than Jill! nnn *sticks out tongue to DaveJ*

Godfather
14th Sep 2002, 18:30
Heres an example...this is not FMV, this is an in-game gameplay shot.

http://phaideaux1.homestead.com/files/sshot1.jpg

Ok, ok. Nice graphics. But beautiful??!! Ugh, she's ugly!! And she's not tough ... she looks silly. She looks like some babysitter who's found a gun. Ha!

BTW: tonight on BBC2 - "Once upon a time in America" with Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. A classic masterpiece by Sergio Leone. I've been meaning to see this film for years, but somehow it's been awfully difficult to actually find this film on video or DVD ... I now get the chance to see it.

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 18:30
We are talking two different things.

The Resident Evil you played was Resident Evil 2 on either PC or PS.

The first game has been completely overhauled with a new graphics engine and believe me has NOTHING in common with the game you played anymore, certainly from a visual standpoint.

You applauded Lara's new look...I say look around for something even more impressive.

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 18:32
'Babysitter whos found a guy'?

Its for sitting on, not talking out of....

:rolleyes:

Lara still looks cartoony, Jill is at least far more realistic.

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 18:37
Wow....

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/Reviews/gamecube/resident-evil/resident-evil-1.jpg

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 18:39
Whooooa!
Look out!

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/Reviews/gamecube/resident-evil/resident-evil-5.jpg

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 18:46
OOPS!

Too late!!

http://63.123.153.186/imgs/dynamic/stories/full/303_7.jpg

rocconorth
14th Sep 2002, 18:49
This thread has really turned into a two man show. Unfortunately, I don't really have a strong opinion on this one, but could somebody else reply as well. I feel like I'm violating Godfather and DaveJ's privacy and looking at their private message inbox!;)

DaveJ
14th Sep 2002, 18:55
Niiiiice!

http://phaideaux1.homestead.com/files/untitled.jpg

TombRaiderChik
14th Sep 2002, 22:25
:eek: :eek:

wooooooooahh!!! those pix are awesome!!!!

so these graphics are from the first one or the second one? cuz i reeealllllyy want this game now!! :D:D

Godfather
15th Sep 2002, 00:52
'Babysitter whos found a guy'?

I meant to say gun, but my fingers must have slipped somewhere.

Godfather
15th Sep 2002, 00:55
Niiiiice!

http://phaideaux1.homestead.com/files/untitled.jpg

Like I've told you before: nice graphics!! But you have an awful taste in women, coz this chick is uuuuuuugly! She starts to look more and more like those zombies she's been chasing. I'd rather go with Lara Croft!! If looking more realistic is what Jill actually is, then I prefer Lara Croft not to be so realistic after all ... did that make any sense, by the way?

Lara Croft Online
15th Sep 2002, 01:08
I think it's a bit premature to cast judgement on a game that
has yet to be released. Once the PS2 and PC versions have been
released we can then have a fair comparison. One thing that is
obvious from the screens is that both games were made by the
same program.

John Carter
15th Sep 2002, 03:45
Well, a woman's beauty is judged not only by her physical appearance, but by her qualities of character and personality.

For that reason, even old pixellated legacy Lara is more "beautiful" to me than even the best-rendered CGI Jill Valentine.

TombRaiderChik
15th Sep 2002, 03:53
that was very beautifully said john carter

u all culd learn a lot from him lol :p :D

DaveJ
15th Sep 2002, 09:07
I think some people are missing the point.

Godfathers original post was along the lines of "Gee, doesn't the new Lara look lovely?" (He said in TRLR but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant AoD)

And indeed she does, she shows a great improvement...I'll amend my original comment to say - whereas she always looked cartoony in the old games, she now looks more comic strip.

Given the advances in games graphics my point is that Jill in RE shows a lot more improvement since her first incarnation.

My taste in women has nothing to do with it as I always prefer the real thing, and artificial ones of any media don't really get my juices flowing, unlike some peoples here.

I would also disagree with John Carter's statement about Lara's inner beauty, but my thoughts on that are already public elesewhere. ;)

Compare the old Jill:

http://img.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/1027228945-00.jpg

with the new and consider it case closed:

http://www.snowhill.com/~jhataway/images/12601-1.jpg

As for Godfather's diatribe about Jill is ugly and a comic strip is swoony...talk about living a fantasy life.... :rolleyes: ;)

Seth
15th Sep 2002, 12:31
Well, I have to agree with Dave, Jill here is a real beauty when rendered. Lara is a bit more cartoony, but I believe Core wanted that. Jill does definently show the improvments in graphics, and how.

Now if it wasn't for that stupid hat...

[Edit: Spelling]

Seth
15th Sep 2002, 12:45
Just showing some advancements..
http://www.tombraiderencyclopedia.com/images/ajoli_pre2.jpg

DaveJ
15th Sep 2002, 13:17
Great pic, I saw that a while ago and thought "If only...."

I agree that I believe Lara's comic strip/cartoony look is deliberate too. Dunno why, but I get the feeling that Core don't actually want to go the realistic route.

Seth
15th Sep 2002, 14:01
Yeah, I mean, you want a new engine with stunning graphics, why not go the distance and make the graphics realistic? I remeber reading somewhere about it... They said that they could have put 10,000 polygons into Lara instead of just 5000, but they wanted that cartoon-iness, they wanted "silly pointed noses" and such.. Hmm..

On another note, they have this "deep dark" storyline, yet on the contrary, they have these cartoon-like graphics, so they almost cancel each other out.

Seth
15th Sep 2002, 14:12
Originally posted by Godfather

Like I've told you before: nice graphics!! But you have an awful taste in women, coz this chick is uuuuuuugly! She starts to look more and more like those zombies she's been chasing. I'd rather go with Lara Croft!! If looking more realistic is what Jill actually is, then I prefer Lara Croft not to be so realistic after all ... did that make any sense, by the way?

I believe when you are talking about something different. Jill isn't the most attractive of women, but from what I think, he's saying that she is more beautiful graphically.. At least that's what I'm picking up. If not, then I'll gladly eat my hat.

DaveJ
15th Sep 2002, 14:50
Your hat is safe, Seth.

;)

Godfather
15th Sep 2002, 16:22
Ooooooooh ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... nah!! I still disagree! Lara Croft is more beautiful than Jill in any way whatsoever!! Oh and thanks DaveJ for noticing: I did indeed mean Lara Croft of "Tomb RAider: Angel of Darkness" instead of TRLR. In the latter one, her face looks kinda old (still beautiful though ... but in a weird & different way).

DaveJ
15th Sep 2002, 18:06
You are still missing the point, but never mind.
As long as you are happy.

thanhkim
16th Sep 2002, 08:41
I'm a girl and if I had a choice I would rather look like Lara Croft than that other chick. She may look more real but Lara looks more dramatic and angelic.

DaveJ
16th Sep 2002, 09:27
Angelic?

Well...I guess thats the charm of the game, everyone sees something different when they play.
:)

GoranAgar
16th Sep 2002, 09:37
These PS2 screenshots (no matter what game) always look like Jpeg-compression accidents.

DaveJ
16th Sep 2002, 09:49
Indeedy...(BTW this is gamecube)...but they still do the finished product on my screen no justice whatsoever.

You'll see next time you're over here. ;)

THE True Lara
16th Sep 2002, 10:44
erm... without sticking my foot too deeply in it, if you're talking about graphic quality isn't the Xbox better? -Personally I don't own either, but that's what I've heard...........

DaveJ
16th Sep 2002, 11:18
Xbox is the best quality pic and sound of the bunch, followed by the Gamecube, with PS2 bringing up the rear.

I have one of each and can only wonder at how much more amazing Resident Evil would look on the Xbox.

But for now....*heads back to the Spencer Mansion*

Mgardiner
16th Sep 2002, 18:28
Hey dave, you run into the snake yet? lol

DaveJ
16th Sep 2002, 19:54
Man that was a biggie! :D

I just finished the game as Jill in 13 and half hours...superb game!

Gonna play through as Chris now!

Godfather
16th Sep 2002, 21:31
You are still missing the point, but never mind.

I have that a lot, don't I? :D

No, seriously! I think I know what you mean. You mean to say that in a digital, 3D-kinda way, Jill's face is better drawn than Lara's. You're saying that Lara Croft (even in her latest AOD-adventure) still looks like an action figure from a videogame and Jill almost looks like a real actress in some kind of a B-horror movie, right?

As long as you are happy.

Always ... as long as you're picking on me! :D

(btw: this wasn't meant sarcastically. I really enjoy these debates)

C ya!

thanhkim
18th Sep 2002, 06:03
Sorry dude I disagree that Jill chick looks like plain Jane to me but Lara looks like a hollywood starlet. :D

DaveJ
18th Sep 2002, 08:26
In terms of technical quality?
Which is what we were discussing....how the games have advanced in terms of graphic makeovers.

Seth
20th Sep 2002, 00:05
Photorealistic Lara..
http://www.tombraiderencyclopedia.com/images/ajoli_pre2.jpg

Cartoony Lara..
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/trng_design/screen2.jpg

Honsestly now. Current Cartoon Lara looks like a 'Hollywood Starlet'? Even No One Lives Forever 2's Cate Archer looks more realistic than Lara.

http://www.nolfgirl.com/images/nolf2/augcgw.jpg

DaveJ
20th Sep 2002, 08:20
Agreed.

I prefer her sense of humour, too.

In fact Cate developed a more believable, rounded personality after 1 game than Lara has in 5.

Seth
20th Sep 2002, 12:35
In fact Cate developed a more believable, rounded personality after 1 game than Lara has in 5.

One of the many reasons I prefer Cate over Lara.

NOLF had an amazing storyline, great graphics (for it's time), excellent gameplay, and of course, the humour.

It also looks like Monolith really outdid themselves on the sequel (although I'm still waiting to download the demo...:rolleyes: )

http://www.nolfgirl.com/gameinfo/nolf2/screens/nolf2bg41.jpg

[Edit: Spelling]

DaveJ
20th Sep 2002, 13:14
The demo is worth every Mb!

The humour is still there, the new Lithtech engine does wonders on the look of it all, the music is ace, and the new touches (which I won't spoil for you) are well thought out, and show someone has been paying attention somewhere.

Seth
20th Sep 2002, 13:25
Well I'm glad to know it's worth it's size...

I've been trying to get this thing since it came out, but it usually freezes or times out (which is quite annoying).

Cyber_Punk_303
20th Sep 2002, 21:37
Renders are NOT sexy!!! Eeeeeh!!! I LOVE the cartoony look of the TR series... It's what adds to the charm!!! Lara wouldn't be Lara when she looks like THAT ---> Points at Angelina Jolie render.

Meh, the render is fantastic in that it looks realistic and it has the facial features right... But even tho... Something about it is just - wrong. Lol. Oh well, it's ana amazing pic, but just no.

"No"
- Lara

Lol ;)

Godfather
20th Sep 2002, 22:25
And that is that!!

Thanks, man!

DaveJ
21st Sep 2002, 08:17
So we established that Lara isn't realistic looking? And is better off for it?

It took a while, but I win in the end.

Godfather
21st Sep 2002, 15:35

:D proud like a little kid :D

DaveJ
21st Sep 2002, 16:02
More like a patient parent.....

Godfather
21st Sep 2002, 17:43
More like a patient parent.....

... who's proud like a little kid then. :D :rolleyes:

DaveJ
21st Sep 2002, 17:48
Originally posted by Godfather

... who's plagued by a little kid then. :D

Exactly.

Godfather
21st Sep 2002, 18:45
I give up :)

DaveJ
21st Sep 2002, 20:05
Good... its way past your bedtime anyway, Buckwheat....

Jewell
21st Sep 2002, 21:29
So we established that Lara isn't realistic looking? And is better off for it?

i believe so Dave, your character Jill is much more 'realistic' looking than Lara (in the new AoD)
BUT i still favor Lara - i have not played RE so don't knock me down here - even with her cartoonish style
yes the AJ as Lara CG pic is more 'realistic', but it's just not Lara. i think the 'cartoonishness' is part of what makes Lara who she is.

Seth
22nd Sep 2002, 14:45
Who she is? Or how we view her?

You've seen Lara in these cartoonish graphics for 5 years. You've gotten used to it. It would be a definite change if they were to flip over to photorealistic graphics.

Think about it. If you had no idea what Angel of Darkness would look like, and suddenly they show you a screenshot, with photorealistic graphics, do you think you would really be complaining?

Godfather
22nd Sep 2002, 14:51
Originally posted by Seth
Think about it. If you had no idea what Angel of Darkness would look like, and suddenly they show you a screenshot, with photorealistic graphics, do you think you would really be complaining?

Yes.

Godfather
22nd Sep 2002, 14:54
Good... its way past your bedtime anyway, Buckwheat....

Well, since Lara is waiting for me in bed ... I guess it's about time I hit the sheets! Goodnight! ;) :rolleyes:

DaveJ
22nd Sep 2002, 15:00
Make sure you clean those inkstains off the sheets afterwards.

DaveJ
22nd Sep 2002, 15:08
Originally posted by Seth

No...not in the slightest.

Anyone who would say 'yes' to a proposal like that must be very stuck in the past, and not to mention a little anal.

After all....Lara is very real to a frightening number of people...but those same people are opposed to her actually looking real.
Go figure.

Godfather
22nd Sep 2002, 16:35
Make sure you clean those inkstains off the sheets afterwards.

:D