PDA

View Full Version : Another Good Game!!

mrdefender
13th Sep 2002, 06:49
I got accepted to the Earth And Beyond Beta Testing!

The Game Rocks So Much!

You have 6 classes with each their own abilities (RPG)

Each class comes with its own space ship (FreeSpace/FreeSpace2)

Each class has missions that you complete to get upgrades and such.

You can team up with 5 other ppl to gain more "group-only" bonuses!

Downsides?

Beta = buggy.
It requires you to be subscribed to a service (like everquest..)
It only takes credit cards
I DONT HAVE A CREDIT CARD :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek:

Rook
13th Sep 2002, 07:52
Well, I don't know if I should say Congrats! or not.:confused: It sounds pretty cool, but how are you going to do it if you don't have a credit card?

Happy for ya, anyway!:D

mrdefender
14th Sep 2002, 07:37
my bank has a visa application thingy (so it would be both a credit card and debit card..) I would most likely need to do so if I decide to buy the game.

Rook
24th Sep 2002, 06:28
Any progress getting the beta testing thing going??

mrdefender
24th Sep 2002, 15:57
The game is supposed to come out today, which means it will hit the shelves around here maybe 2morrow or the day after.

UT2003 comes out in the next 10 days or so aswell.

!!!!!! Just got caught for being to fast !!!!!!

Rook
6th Nov 2002, 11:32
And what ever happened with this, by the way?

mrdefender
6th Nov 2002, 18:29
The product finished beta testing about 2 weeks after I was accepted. I bought the game and a "game time" card (allows 90 days of gameplay). I sincerly doubt I'll "renew" (buy) another card.

It cost me 60$ for the game and another 40$ for the game card. (this is in canadian dollars). I could get another game for that price! (40$).

The game isnt that bad.

Its a MMORPG (massivley multiplayer online role playing game)

You fly around, getting skill points for combat, exploration and trade and get rewarded when reaching certain levels (some "skills" require you to achieve a current level in a field or in general.. As in you need level X combat to upgrade level type weapons and you need level X to get a hull upgrade).

It's fun until you reach level 40-45 but after that its a slow process to level up. Once you reach level 50, your next promotion is at level 75.

You'd like the game if your into games like diablo and similar.

Rook
7th Nov 2002, 09:40
Sounds pretty cool, but if it's an online thingy, I'll probably be waiting quite a long time to see it for myself. :( ;) :D

mrdefender
7th Nov 2002, 17:43
Its very expensive. If you like leveld games (character/player levels up by exploring, trading or combat) then its probobly worth to buy. If you dont like such games, then dont waste your monney.

You're not refunded for the days the servers go down.

Also, its less expensive if you have a credit card (to buy time for the game) since they have monthly, 3 months and 6 months packages.

Rook
8th Nov 2002, 07:26
See, this is exactly why I need to play the lottery more often. I'm never going to be able to afford cool stuff like this working for my current employer. :(

mrdefender
8th Nov 2002, 17:52
I know the feeling.

but you're lucky. The money you get is in US dollars.

The monney I get is in canadian dollars. :D

You know the show "Who wants to be a millionaire?"

Well, for us its "Who wants 652 dollars?" :rolleyes: :D

Rook
9th Nov 2002, 06:54
http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/lachen/lachen002.gifLOLhttp://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/lachen/lachen002.gif

Hey, even $652 is a good bit of cash right now. ;) :D

mrdefender
9th Nov 2002, 18:00
I get more from my pention than the chance of winning it.

Rook
9th Nov 2002, 21:29
Hey, my friend's brother won the lottery, so at least I know it does happen to real people. :D

mrdefender
9th Nov 2002, 21:35
and your friend never offered any monney??? :eek:

Well I never! :o~

(well I never is one of those comments/things you say when ur outraged)

Rook
9th Nov 2002, 21:44
Well, if it had been my friend herself who won, she might have offered. I probably would have declined, though. I hate feeling like I owe people, even if it was a gift. But, it was her brother (along with about 12 people from wherever he works) that won the thing and split it among them. I think, after taxed and all that other junk, he ended up with only a little over $150,000. That hardly sounds like massive lottery winnings, but I still wouldn't mind winning that much! :eek:

mrdefender
9th Nov 2002, 21:49
OH! One of those lotteries.

Its a very popular type of gambling. Winning 150K is better than nothing at all.

Its better of getting half of something, than all of nothing :)

Rook
9th Nov 2002, 22:04
Actually, it was a real lottery. I think it was for about $12 million or something. Of course, if you don't take the yearly payments and just go with the one lump sum, that automatically knocks your winnings down to 41% of the originally total--and that's even before the government has gotten hold of it! After taxes, I think they only ended up with about $3 million, and they had to split that between either 12 people, or 20 people. (It may actually have been closer to 20 people that pitched in and won the lottery thing, now that I think about it.) Either way, it does kind of suck that they get cheated that way. If you win that kind of money, you should get it all, and taxes should be the only thing taken out of it.

mrdefender
9th Nov 2002, 22:13
Thats what I was refering to.

You take the hole price (12 million) and divide it into alot of equal shares. So each person gets appx 150K.

Alot of people get together with buisness pals and friends and they split the difference if they win some $$

Rook
9th Nov 2002, 22:22
Yup, I've been trying to get my co-workers to pitch in on a lottery ticket each week, but nobody seems to want to try... :(

mrdefender
10th Nov 2002, 01:37
i guess they want their coffee.

A lottery ticket here in ottawa is a buck. a coffee from tim hortons is a buck.

Rook
10th Nov 2002, 01:49
Or it's because they truly love working for their current employer, no matter how much they gripe about the job. :rolleyes:

:D

mrdefender
10th Nov 2002, 05:37
that'd be the day :)

twidling thumbs while waiting 60 seconds...
twidling thumbs while waitiing another 60 seconds..

Rook
10th Nov 2002, 05:48
Oh there are very few jobs that could possibly suck worse than the one I have now. And everybody else there HATES it too. The work isn't the bad thing. Working for a dictatorial lunatic is the bad thing. You'd think then that everyone there would love to pitch in on a lottery ticket. They won't. They must just love the job too much. :rolleyes: :D

mrdefender
10th Nov 2002, 05:53
What do u do?

twidling thumbs.....

Rook
10th Nov 2002, 05:56
Blech...you don't reeeally wanna know... :o

mrdefender
10th Nov 2002, 05:58
yes i do!! Come on, it can't be that bad.

I do nothing. :)

(well. I sit at home all day posting here, sleeping and playing computer games)

Rook
10th Nov 2002, 06:06
No, really, it's that bad. ;)

If you reeeally wanna know, I'll PM you. :D

(well. I sit at home all day posting here, sleeping and playing computer games)

Well that's pretty much my weekend. :D

mrdefender
10th Nov 2002, 16:47
I do want to know :) So pm me :)

I hope it isnt what I'm thinking (considering the worst job)

Rook
10th Nov 2002, 21:10
Alrighty, check your PM box. :D

And, for the sake of conversation, what do you think is the worst job a person could have? Hopefully it isn't the one I've got... :o

mrdefender
11th Nov 2002, 03:11
Well. I thought of 2 but one of em isn't very forum friendly. it involves street corners (thats all I'll say.. i'm guessing the mature posters can put 2 and 2 together and understand).

But the forum friendly one has to be working at a bar cleaning washrooms. All those drunks puking all over the place... It's just..

:eek:

Rook
11th Nov 2002, 03:14
:eek: Neither! Thank God! :eek:

mrdefender
11th Nov 2002, 03:17
Well.. another terrible job has to be customer serivce or technical support :)

Rook
11th Nov 2002, 03:22
Or driving a garbage truck... :eek:

mrdefender
11th Nov 2002, 05:48
I saw an episode of Sally (talk show). It was one of those "making wishes come true" and it had a kid that was obsesed with garbage trucks.

He had his parents film the garbage truck when it was doing its run so he could watch it when he came home from school.

(they made him go with the garbage guys from new york on one of their runs).

:)

A dream is a dream i guess. I'm not one to judge someone's hopes and dreams.

How many here had wierd (when u think about it now) when they were young...er..

(i cant remember mine :( ARGH! My memory got fried after chemo!! ARGH!! ARGH!! AGRH!! oh gerat. I fogrot hwo 2 tpye.)

:D (the memory thing is acutally true..)

Rook
11th Nov 2002, 07:58
I had a dream of meeting Michael Caine when I was young... Stop laughing... I'm serious...

http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/lachen/lachen002.gif

mrdefender
11th Nov 2002, 18:19
:confused:

Is that the guy who wrote citizen caine? (thats all I can think of)

Rook
12th Nov 2002, 07:37
No. He's an actor.

http://www.tumble.com/demo_area/pop/images/c03/c03a.jpg

You've probably seen him before...

mrdefender
12th Nov 2002, 17:47
he looks familiar, what movies/shows has he played in?

Rook
13th Nov 2002, 07:21
Zulu
Sleuth
Alfie
Deathtrap
Educating Rita
Mr Destiny
The Man Who Would Be King
The Cider House Rules
And he's also in the latest Austin Powers movie.

Polar_Andromeda
13th Nov 2002, 08:10
Originally posted by Rook
I had a dream of meeting Michael Caine when I was young... Stop laughing... I'm serious...

http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/lachen/lachen002.gif

That is serious... :p :D

Rook
13th Nov 2002, 08:21
I know! It's cracked! I was about twelve years old at the time, too. Weird kid...

And I haven't grown up yet. :p

mrdefender
13th Nov 2002, 19:58
OH! I think he's austin's father.

Polar_Andromeda
14th Nov 2002, 03:41
He looks like he's from the Victorian era. All he needs are those weird L-shaped sideburns, and he's set.

mrdefender
14th Nov 2002, 03:47
really? I find he looks like a genius.

Except that the clothes he's wearing make him look like a mad scientist :)

Polar_Andromeda
14th Nov 2002, 04:24
That's odd. I thought his stare, the clothes, and especially the gloves, gave him the look of a dominatrix. All he needs now is a whip. http://www.buzzlife.com/bz/mssg_brd/images/smilies/whip.gif

Rook
14th Nov 2002, 08:28
Originally posted by mrdefender
OH! I think he's austin's father.

I believe you're right.:D

Originally posted by Polar_Andromeda
That's odd. I thought his stare, the clothes, and especially the gloves, gave him the look of a dominatrix. All he needs now is a whip. http://www.buzzlife.com/bz/mssg_brd/images/smilies/whip.gif

Michael Caine? Dominatrix?! Yikes! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/sprachlos/sprachlos040.gif

mrdefender
14th Nov 2002, 19:08
I'm not familiar with that term. What does dominatrix mean?

Polar_Andromeda
15th Nov 2002, 04:49
A person, in most cases a female, that likes to dominate people and sort of give them pain for fun and pleasure. You've never seen this? It's sort of like role-playing.

mrdefender
16th Nov 2002, 02:26
ooooooh

Rook
16th Nov 2002, 07:09
My thought exactly, Defender... :eek:

Polar_Andromeda
16th Nov 2002, 19:36
Boy. You guys really need to get out more. ;)

mrdefender
16th Nov 2002, 20:25
The only games I have starring a female character, Is NOLF2. :)

I don't see many pc games that have female playable characters in em..

The only game I saw other than NOLF2 was Diablo 2 and its expansion.

NOLF 2 is a female spy. And its hard not to notice :)

Here are your gadgets:

Lipstick Spy Camera, Mascara Taser kit, Purse Rocket Launcher (eep), Compact Decoder, Perfume body remove (burns bodies), Hairspray Welder, Nailclip lock pick, a coin to distract npcs, A cat as a bomb :D, A key chain as a flashlight (that one isnt too fancy but the game is set in the 60's-70's).

It's fun...ny.. :D

Rook
17th Nov 2002, 03:48
Originally posted by Polar_Andromeda
Boy. You guys really need to get out more. ;)

Oh, I knew what a dominatrix was. I was just trying desperately not to imagine Michael Caine that way... :eek: :o :D

mrdefender
17th Nov 2002, 04:14
Easy for me. It was hard to imagine Michael Caine any way :) (until the austin powers post)

Dominatrix sounds like a cross between dominos and Reboot... :D

I love that show. too bad they're all reruns now :(

Rook
17th Nov 2002, 05:37
What show...? :o

Polar_Andromeda
17th Nov 2002, 14:57
Could somebody help me find a pic of Mr. Big quickly, please? Or maybe a pic of some other really tough looking big guy. It's an emergency. :D

Rook
17th Nov 2002, 19:51
Alrighty, here ya go!

http://www.icehouse.net/thehawk/article/hulk.jpg

mrdefender
17th Nov 2002, 23:01
Reboot. Its a Computer Generated (like Toy Story) tv show. It happens inside a Computer.

They live in "MainFrame". There's Bob, A guardian. Dot Matrix (which can be found on a gameboy) a bright women and Enzo Matrix, her little brother.

There's a big bad virus Called Megabyte and another one (sister) called Hexadecimal with a pet called Scuzzy.

The "elder" is called Phong and the only way to get his wisdom is to play pong with him (tenis court, and your arms are covered with something u can use to push the "ball" to the other side).

Its good.

PS: The green dude looks like The Big Bulk. A small spoof of the Great Hulk. (I'll let you figgure out what bulk is..)

Rook
18th Nov 2002, 01:57
Sounds like a pretty cool show! :cool:

PS: The green dude looks like The Big Bulk. A small spoof of the Great Hulk. (I'll let you figgure out what bulk is..)
:eek: :D

mrdefender
18th Nov 2002, 02:03
Its basicly the same as the Great Hulk. He turns into a green monster when angered.

There's an old homeless lady looking thru the garbage, she sees the close rip off his chest and acts frightend then you hear more close rip, Hulk/Bulk looks down and smiles, the old lady looks astonished.

Rook
18th Nov 2002, 04:11
LOL That sounds pretty weird.:D

I just hope that whatever Incredible Hulk movie they make in the future is better than the one from that picture! :eek:

Then again, I never was a big Incredible Hulk fan anyway.... :o

mrdefender
18th Nov 2002, 05:24
Its one of those spoofs (mockery of something) commercials/movie trailer-lenght.

Rook
18th Nov 2002, 05:28
That's pretty much what I figured. Sounds funny.

Sadly, I think the Lou Ferrigno one was supposed to be the real deal. ***cold shiver*** :eek:

mrdefender
18th Nov 2002, 05:34
Lou Ferengo?

Rook
18th Nov 2002, 05:39
Lou Ferrigno is the green guy in the pic a little further up on this page. He's the Hulk. At least he was in a movie version of it from a few years back. Bill Bixby was the guy who becomes the Hulk, and Lou Ferrigno (who is, of course, a bodybuilder in real life) is the Hulk. It was a corny film, to say the least. That's why I hope Hollywood does it a bit better in the new one...

mrdefender
18th Nov 2002, 06:24
Ah. I didnt think of that. In the other movies, its the same actor.

The Guy who plays Bruce wayne is batman (Adam West, Micheal Keaton, Val Kilmer and George clooney...)

The Guy who plays Peter Parker is spider-man (Tobey Maguire).

I have no idea who played Super-man in the old movies.

Rook
18th Nov 2002, 06:40
Who? Christopher Reeve as Superman, or do you mean the ones even older than that. George Reeves, I believe was in the even older (black and white) ones...

mrdefender
18th Nov 2002, 07:15
?? I never knew about the black and white ones.

I was refering to the old colored ones (he has a evil twin created by luthor, forces the earth to turn in the opposite direction, causing time to go backwards to save lois lane, straightens up the leaning tower...) and the new..er.. tv ones. The guy who hosts Rippley's believe it or not.

Dean Cain? I'm not sure :(

Rook
18th Nov 2002, 07:26
Jeez, I totally forgot about Dean Cain.:eek: Then again, I never did get much of a chance to watch that series...

Christopher Reeve made the best Superman, IMO. The first Superman film and maybe the second one were the only films of that series I really liked. After that, they got just a little too campy.

And I also forgot about Smallville! Does it count? :D

mrdefender
19th Nov 2002, 00:43
I havent seen those old movies in such a long time.

Rook
19th Nov 2002, 07:24
The first one is truly the best. I still get shivers when I see Superman fly for the first time in that film. It's just too cool.:cool:

mrdefender
19th Nov 2002, 22:48
Has Clark figgured out how to fly yet on Small Ville?

I saw on the episode of the graduation rings has red kryptonite, he knows speed, breath, xrays and heat vision (obviously, strenght and bullet proof)

Rook
20th Nov 2002, 07:36
Well, they had an episode where he woke up from a dream (about Lana Lang, of course;)), and he was floating over his bed. But as soon as he woke up, he fell out of the air. And then they had the episode where a tornado hit Smallville, Lana got stuck in the twister, and Clark went in after her--and he later makes mention of the fact that he felt like he was "willing himself towards her" or something to that effect. I don't think they'll ever have him really fly in the series, though. That was one of the two things the guys who made the series said they were going to try to avoid (the other thing being his flashy superhero costume).:)

All in all, I like the show well enough (if only coz I'm a huge comic book hero freak!). But I think it's coming dangerously close to looking the same in every episode.

mrdefender
20th Nov 2002, 21:24
Yah. It is a small ville :) (ville is city in french :) ).

Wouldn't want someone spotting him :)

Rook
21st Nov 2002, 08:02
You never know. The whole town might just laugh at a guy that wears his underwear on the outside. ;) :D

mrdefender
21st Nov 2002, 19:43
well yah. but i was refering to flying.

Especially that school reporter and her closet full of "wierd" stuff starting from the meteor incident.

Rook
22nd Nov 2002, 07:04
Oh, so you do watch a bit of the show after all? ;)

I just wish they'd veer off a bit more from what is becoming a standard episode. It goes like, Clark goes after some ordinary human who has been given unusual powers of their own by the meteor rocks--the very same meteor rocks that render Clark pretty much useless in a fight. That has sort of become the backbone of most of the episodes so far. I hope they deviate from that a bit before they get stuck in a rut.

:)

mrdefender
22nd Nov 2002, 18:26
Well.. The Highschool rings should've made u figgure out that I did watch the series ;)

I only saw season 1 and I agree with you. Alot of episodes were people affected by meteors and got super powers.

But I recall the Red Kryptonite ring, The episode where an ex lover of Lex Luther's father came back to small ville and wanted DNA tests done on Clark cause she had a kid with Lex's Father and he gave it up for adoption (and Clark was adopted.. so the women though he was her son..)

Rook
23rd Nov 2002, 08:05
Well, I kind of figured you watched it, but I didn't know if you were the casual "catch an episode if I can" type of person, or the "MUST WATCH IT WEEKLY" person. ;) :p

mrdefender
23rd Nov 2002, 21:11
I'm more of a "Tune in if Star Trek isn't playing or if there's nothing better on.." :)

Doh. By "better" im talking personally..

Small Ville isnt at the top of my "must watch" list ;)

Rook
23rd Nov 2002, 21:20
Well, it's pretty much the only show I watch during the week, since I don't have cable (thus, no Trek reruns or any of that fantastic Sci-Fi Channel stuff;(). It's definitely not the greatest show (especially since they're stuck in the aforementioned predictable groove most of the time), but I like superhero stuff and comic book characters, so it's not that bad.:D

mrdefender
24th Nov 2002, 02:06
Yah. small ville is ok, but (as mentioned before) Its not a show I'd watch if there was something else on..

I haven't seen many new comic book shows. Small Ville, thats all I've seen comic book wise.

Rook
24th Nov 2002, 02:33
Unless you kinda sorta stretch the qualifications for a comic book show and go ahead and include Birds of Prey. ;)

I haven't really watched it, though...

mrdefender
24th Nov 2002, 06:50
doh! Forgot about that one.

Basicly, anything based on comic books is what id consider a comic book show.

Like Huntress on Birds Of Prey. She works with BatGirl (got paralized, renamed "oracle") :)

Rook
24th Nov 2002, 10:49
Of course you could always stretch those qualifications even further and include Mutant X (I think that's the name:o) as an X-Men copycat series. ;) :D

mrdefender
24th Nov 2002, 20:40
I was refering to "pure"ish-type like stuff.

Like Bird of prey has batgirl, so its "based" on the batman comic books (or based on a tv show that was based on comic book). So thats how far I'd strech the comic book thing.

Like if mutant X had a X-men that left or came into the book after a long time.

Isn't Lex Luther in Mutant X? Eh. I mean the guy who plays Lex on "Lois And Clark, The New Adventures of Superman" (the one with dean cain as superman?)

Rook
24th Nov 2002, 21:54
I have no idea. I never really got interested in Lois & Clark... :o

mrdefender
25th Nov 2002, 04:42
I think he plays the the leader of the good guys on mutant x.

Rook
25th Nov 2002, 05:03
Honestly, I haven't watched either show... :o

I'm still pining for my lost Highlander episodes... I miss my old Saturday nights. Highlander, followed by Outer Limits, followed by Earth: Final Conflict (though I never did get into EFC too much--I'd just watch it if there was nothing else on, which there usually wasn't...) And I reeeeally miss my Jack Of All Trades! I adored that show, corny as it was. I love Bruce Campbell! Now none of those shows are on...

:(***sigh***:(

mrdefender
25th Nov 2002, 20:06
Ah, I remember EFC. It was good. I watched it when I could (it plays here in the morning so i dont catch it all the time.

It's a good program from Gene Roddenberry (creator of StarTrek TOS)

I couldn't get into Andremodea.

Rook
26th Nov 2002, 07:29
I never could get into Andromeda either. Among other things, I'm not a Kevin Sorbo fan. :D

mrdefender
26th Nov 2002, 19:51
Sorry. Im terrible with names.

Who is he again? I'm guessing he's the captain. Usually the captain is the one who makes the show (since the captain is the one who gives the orders and the others follow orders..)

I could be wrong?

Rook
27th Nov 2002, 06:37
Yeah, I think he's the captain. He was in the Hercules tv show (as *surprise* Hercules!). I don't know why, but I just don't care much for him...

mrdefender
28th Nov 2002, 04:14
I thought Arnold (god forbid his last name...) Swartchenager played Hercules in a movie?

And yes, I do know I spelled his last name wrong.

Rook
28th Nov 2002, 06:06
I'm not sure about that one. He might have. Then again, there's always Conan the Barbarian. :)

mrdefender
28th Nov 2002, 20:03
I know in the movie Demolition Man (Sylvester Stallone), Arnold was President of the USA :eek:

Taco Bell became the only restaurant :eek:
Swearing was illegal :eek: :confused:
Toilet paper was replaced by sea shells :confused: :confused:

good but wierd movie :)

Rook
28th Nov 2002, 20:29
LOL The only songs on the radio were cartoon themes, no physical contact handshakes (or anything else, for that matter;)), and not to forget the ratburgers! :D

That was a weird movie, and I was surprised that it was actually pretty entertaining. :)

I like how he gets paper for the bathroom. LOL :D

mrdefender
29th Nov 2002, 07:42

Rook
29th Nov 2002, 08:45
Even more fine dental work. Any more words of wisdom to conclude this thread, Defender?

mrdefender
30th Nov 2002, 20:52
Words of wisdom?

Walk on one leg when you feel low and life will bring you many gifts.

A rainy day is the secret to life.

Keep reaching for the stars, or they will fall and crush your dreams.

The last one kinda makes sense :)

Reaching for the stars means for ur dreams, so if u stop reaching for the stars (dreams) they will fall and crush your dreams (your dreams will fall into nothingness).

I'm pretty glad on the last one :)

A work of art :)