PDA

View Full Version : 2 Qs

Danventry
12th Sep 2002, 01:11
1) Is there any way to make frosted or "wavy glass" windows, like you might use in bathrooms? 2) Does Thief 2 come in Spanish? B/c I'm think about translating my upcoming FM into Spanish if it's available.

amievil?
12th Sep 2002, 02:47
you want the windows to look like they are fogged up right? try putting a texture on the glass and going to renderer-transparency and see what happens....might need to get a custom texture....

as for the spanish thing i have no idea, i guess if you wanted to translate it into spanish you could i just dont know how many spanish thief fans are out there....

Stile451
12th Sep 2002, 04:08
The three languages officially supported by the Thief series is German, English, and French. You can, however, add in any other language and have the player overwrite the files the game would normally use with the other language's files.

Komag
12th Sep 2002, 06:31
More people speak Spanish than German or French (or both combined I think), but most of those who speak Spanish are VERY poor and don't play computer games, so very few games are available in Spanish, while very many games are available in German and French. It's simple ecomonics/demographics for ya.

Apache
12th Sep 2002, 23:41
Originally posted by Komag
More people speak Spanish than German or French (or both combined I think), but most of those who speak Spanish are VERY poor and don't play computer games, so very few games are available in Spanish, while very many games are available in German and French. It's simple ecomonics/demographics for ya.

Isn't that considered stereo-typing? And isn't this type of comment not permitted as per the user agreement? I don't want to sound *****y..but 1/2 of my family is spanish/latino nd being of spanish and cuban decent. I know that this comment didn't sit well with me.

theBlackman
13th Sep 2002, 00:30
Originally posted by Apache

Isn't that considered stereo-typing? And isn't this type of comment not permitted as per the user agreement? I don't want to sound *****y..but 1/2 of my family is spanish/latino nd being of spanish and cuban decent. I know that this comment didn't sit well with me.

I can understand your position, but the comment was not intended to insult anyone, and unfortunately is true.

The majority of the World Spanish speaking population, be they, Castillo, Mexican, Spanish, or other "Latin American" cannot afford to buy computers, lack the Electricity, and in many cases phone services to go online, and generally are not able to be a viable market for Computer games.

This holds true also for many Asian countries, African and Middle Eastern countries also.

So, although it addresses a question about "Spanish Language" and ignores the others, it is in no way stereotypical. It is a sad brutal economic fact faced by most third world and middle area countries. Including our southern neighbors, and our South American neighbors, (who as it stands, speak Spanish and/or are of Spanish descent.)

amievil?
13th Sep 2002, 01:36
Originally posted by Apache

i agree. while it may be true that the spanish speaking countries are not wealthy, who's to say that spanish americans do not have the funds to buy a computer? obviously we can only go on what we see. apache is part spanish, so thats one guy. but how many spanish people are on the forums. i havent noticed very many. but who knows how many people are out there lurking and playing fms?

i think instead of going on with this argument, i would say to post some sort of poll and find out what everyone thinks and see how many, if any at all, spanish speaking people respond.

and after rereading komag's post, the way that he states it is that people who speak spanish are apt to be poor. he didnt say just mexicans, or south americans, the way he stated it was anybody. so i guess since i know a few words in spanish that makes me pretty poor....

theBlackman
13th Sep 2002, 02:34
The key word in this entire thing is MOST. Many Spanish speaking people have and use computers, as do many of the rest of the people in the world.

MOST people (using the world population as a whole) do not have nor use computers.

Given the socio-economic structure and the "reason" that few computer games are in Spanish, or Croation, or Slavic -unless written by a member of that group for use by the few computer gamers in that society- major computer game companies are going to aim for the three or four major markets.

Specifically, English (majority), French, German and Japanese.

This discussion began as a HARMLESS discussion of Economics. The language mentioned could have been Serbo-Croation and the same economics would apply and the same "Most Serbo-Croats are too poor to own computers.

I find it ironically amusing that offense is taken out of context by those who "READ" this type of comment or entry (the original statement) and take one part of it out of context and call it offensive.

For example I am of Irish-German-Slavic descent. This combination is rife with opportunity for me to take offense at nearly everything I read, not to mention the aspects of my religious upbringing.

And I could become a raving maniac on the subject of Race, Creed, or socio-economic background 24/7 by taking things out of context in a news article, magazine interview, TV game show or whatever.

In a statement of any kind, the entire meaning of the statement as a whole, is where the message is. Not one word, one sentence or even one paragraph. The message is in the objective meaning of the entire statement.

amievil?
13th Sep 2002, 02:47
blah, shouldnt we all be working on our respective levels now? heh

the bottom line as i mentioned earlier is to simply post a poll here and at ttlg and if there is enough people wanting it in spanish, then so be it.

anybody made relvoving glass doors yet? :)

theBlackman
13th Sep 2002, 04:05
Originally posted by amievil?

anybody made relvoving glass doors yet? :)

Could it be done using one of the revolving wheels from Lost City or Soulforge? Use the Gear as the base and then put a Solid panel on top of it?

Somewhat like this: I and then put a air brush into the solid that is slightly smaller. If you put a small solid bar across at the mid height to prevent G from walking through it, like the Panic bar on exit doors.

Komag
13th Sep 2002, 04:36
Certainly I mean no offense. I am not racist by any means whatsoever.

I also don't have my head in the sand, and I know some facts about the world. For instance, does my not wanting to walk through Harlem at night make me racist? Of course not! I just wan't to live!

Being aware of general economic trends in various cultured and societies doesn't mean that I'm racist. Saying that most Spanish speakers are poor doesn't mean that they are worse people or something. Gimme a break here, try to see what I'm saying for what it really means, not for the offenses you think I'm making (which I'm not)

amievil?
13th Sep 2002, 15:46
Originally posted by theBlackman

Could it be done using one of the revolving wheels from Lost City or Soulforge? Use the Gear as the base and then put a Solid panel on top of it?

Somewhat like this: I and then put a air brush into the solid that is slightly smaller. If you put a small solid bar across at the mid height to prevent G from walking through it, like the Panic bar on exit doors.

:D you have an interesting suggestion. at first, i thought of making two doors, one in the doorway normally and one at a 90 angle. linking them both so that when garrett frobs one both doors would rotate so that they would look as if they are revolving. i never tried it in dromed at all yet.

your suggestion led me to further thought. wonder if you could use the gear as the base like you said, then put a door on top of it and link it to the gear in such a way that both would turn at the same time(adjusting the speed here so that it goes slow enough for garrett to go through it....) either way i think it can be done. im still working on part 2 of hells motel, which has your voice acting in it, and i thought about the revovling glass doors for the motel. i never sat down and tried to make anything work though. but it would be interesting to try the different methods and see what we could come up with.

komag- i cant speak for apache, but i can say sorry for coming out sounding so harsh. no hard feelings ok? now back to the front, dromed solider! heh

edit:: after reading your message again blackman, i see what your saying about the solid brushes but i dont think there is anyway to make solid brushes move. i think it has to be an object... ive never seen terrain brushes moveable(air and solids) but the gear is definately a great thought! probably would have to set it so that it completely revolves back to its starting position, but revolves slow enough so that you can walk through it. oh hell, let me go try this :D

Danventry
13th Sep 2002, 22:12
Okay, so going back to my questions, I'm assuming that yes some people MIGHT use the Spanish, but would proably not be used much, so the amount of time put in would not equal the amount of time put out of it. Now, my windows question. I really don't mean that I want a "fogged" window, but a window that distorts the image, or is "frosted". Actually, it might work, but I don't know how to put a texture on a window. Is that even possible? And wouldn't transparency make the wooden border fade too?

amievil?
14th Sep 2002, 01:43
ok. when you say window, are you saying a window that you made into glass using a wooden door? thats how i do mine. for the textures, first you need to find a good texture. there are several fms with the "glass" texture, maybe someone could send it to you(if i had it i would send it to you myself.) next if you made a glass window using the door you just go to properties, shape(i think), then tex repl 0...and put in the name of the texture. the wooden border wont show up at all, only the glass texture.

found this from my source of various tutorials in mydocuments...

Step to breaking glass windows
1. Create a 4x8 wooden door
2. Add-Shape-Model Name = adoor3
3. Add-Shape-TexRepl0 = fam\lostcty\blk(or other texture)
4. Add-Renderer-Transparency = .50
5. Add-MetaProperty-Materials = MatGlass
6. Add-Game-DamageModel = HitPoints-1
7. Add-Game-DamageModel-SlayResults = Destroy
8. Open
Door-Rotating = Uncheck Blocks Vision
Resize as needed.

i hope this helps

edit: i think this tutorial is for dromed 1 but it should still work....

Danventry
14th Sep 2002, 03:54
Ummm... Okay, I think what you're saying will work, it's just that... well, this is my first FM and I only know the extreme basics of the tech stuff like that (the whole editing properties and such). But let me write out what I'd do and correct me if something is wrong (I'm using D2).

1. Create a 4x8 wooden door
2. Add-Shape-Model Name = adoor3
3. Add-Shape-TexRepl0 = fam\...\... (I will probably use a regular window texture)
4. Add-Renderer-Transparency = .50 (or whatever)
5. Add-MetaProperty-Materials = MatGlass (can someone tell me what this does?)
6. Add-Game-DamageModel = HitPoints-999999999 (or highest number, since I want it to be "unbreakable")
7. Add-Game-DamageModel-SlayResults = Destroy (errr, or do I just want to delete this or what?)
8. Open
Door-Rotating = Uncheck Blocks Vision (I can still lock this door to be opened with lockpicks, right?)
Resize as needed (and it won't change back on me like some items do?).

Xcom
14th Sep 2002, 04:19
Originally posted by Danventry

6. Add-Game-DamageModel = HitPoints-999999999 (or highest number, since I want it to be "unbreakable")
7. Add-Game-DamageModel-SlayResults = Destroy (errr, or do I just want to delete this or what?)

Instead of that you can give it MetaProperty Materials->MatHard. I think it will make the door indestructable (cuz it aborts SlashStim).

Apache
14th Sep 2002, 04:31
OK..I know I shouldn't drag this up..but I want to clarify something. I wasn't calling you a rasist. I would have been fine with your comment if you either worded it different or not done the CAPS on very. To me that wasn't right.

amievil?
14th Sep 2002, 20:33
danventry- on resizing objects--- if you say make a door bigger or smaller, you have to also give it those same sizes in properties or it will change back. this goes for most everything. you cant resize ai this way though.

slay result maybe "no effect" or something like that.

yes you can make it locked or unlocked.

matglass is supposed to give it the sound of glass if you break it...

hit points i suppose you have the right idea if you dont want it destroyed.

Danventry
15th Sep 2002, 05:34
Thanks again amievil?. I just went surfing through the Center, and saw a tutorial almost exactly like this. I'm really sorry about taking up time like that. I need to check the Center before I ask. I don't look first and that's a REALLY bad habit.

Xcom
15th Sep 2002, 17:27
Originally posted by amievil?
slay result maybe "no effect" or something like that.

That actually didn't work in my case. After applying this to my wooden door, it could still be slashed w/ sword. :confused:

Stile451
15th Sep 2002, 17:44
It doesn't prevent it from being slashed, it should prevent it from opening when killed(hit points gone to 0), but may not work with doors if it's scripted in.

Telliamed_
15th Sep 2002, 19:53
Just add receptrons for Bash/Weapon/Fire stims and set the action to "Abort".

amievil?
15th Sep 2002, 23:55
Originally posted by Xcom

That actually didn't work in my case. After applying this to my wooden door, it could still be slashed w/ sword. :confused:

if all you have is a wooden door thats just for looks, using a blockade instead of a wooden door can help. if you were also trying the glass door thing, my apolgies for the suggestion. (the blockade cant be hurt and looks just like a wooden door, at least in dromed1 anyway)