PDA

View Full Version : New startopia patch (kinda)

Mucky Foot
10th Sep 2002, 17:14
new video card set up (http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/faqtech2.html)

Various updates have been made to the video card setup as new cards have popped up over the last year since release. These tweaks have been rolled into a tiny new video card setup file (<6kb IIRC).

Extra support for the following

-all known ATI cards up to and including Radeon 9800.
-all known nVidia cards up to and including GeForce FX 5800.
-fixed problem with some SiS Xabre cards, though not all (please contact us if you have one of these cards!)

and previously support for these was added

nVidia:
GeForce 4 Ti
GeForce 4 MX
GeForce 4 Go
GeForce 3
GeForce Quadro (all types)
Recognises more types of TNT

ATI:
Radeon 8x00
Radeon 7x00
Recognises more types of Radeon
Recognises more types of Rage128

Matrox:
G550

SiS:
Beta support for SiS 315

3dfx:
Voodoo1 and Voodoo Rush support (though they're quite slow)

3Dlabs:
Recognises more types of Permedia 2 and 3

zebra3... ...out

DMA57361
10th Sep 2002, 20:16
Glad to see you guys still supporting the game. :D

One of the mods need to get this in a sticky topic me thinks.

Wile_E
12th Sep 2002, 23:46
Thanks, I'm really suprised there are still developers in todays time, that support their games. I don't know of many that do. So what is next for Muckyfoot? Any new games in development?

Mucky Foot
13th Sep 2002, 10:45
Just finished Blade2 on the Xbox and PS2. Got another couple of games on the go (no StarTopia2 is not one of them ;) ) and a second office up and running at the other end of the country. So it really is all go here.

But we still have time for our previous games. I can't understand devlopers who put two years of their lives into a game only to ignore it once it's on the shelves. I suppose it does help when the games is as good as StarTopia however ;)

zebra3... ...out

Ilûvatar
13th Sep 2002, 15:47
Hmm. Maybe this can help me with my problem... though i have GeForce 2 MX... view my post!: "!?!?!?!?!?! Troubleshooters look here!"

Mucky Foot
13th Sep 2002, 15:57
Viewed and replied.

Remember that we are not the main support for the game. Eidos Tech Support are your first port of call. Any help we give is off our own backs, done in our own time and as such is not official support. But we hope it all helps ;)

zebra3... ...out

Ilûvatar
13th Sep 2002, 16:02
Thank you so very much Mr. MuckyFoot... Ps: GREAT GAME!

AlphaOmega
14th Sep 2002, 18:53
Thanks guys, it makes me warm and fuzzy inside to know you still care. :)

Expect a post on StarTopia Post later today.

MunkeeChum
15th Sep 2002, 12:10
New games huh? can you give us a sneaky preview? Or you wanna keep it on the d/l :p

But y'know if these new games ever need a beta testing team........ *cough hint *cough hint

marrip
30th Sep 2002, 23:21
Is the patch you are announcing different from the StarTopia Patch 1.0.1? I was unable to find anything else other than the 1.0.1 (and the b varient) on the muckyfoot web site. I have a Geforce3, so am interested in this patch.

Mucky Foot
1st Oct 2002, 09:06
Well it was the main article at the time but it's slipped now sohere you go (http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/faqtech2.html).

I'll edit the orginal post to make it more obvious.

zebra3... ...out

p.s. Nope can't tell what the new games are yet ;)

Sham
1st Nov 2002, 23:29
The sales figures must've hurt... 's like what happened with both of the MDK games, and Outcast. Appeal went bankrupt after Outcast, and shiny barely managed by landing OEM deals with hardware manufacturers, but Dave Perry is a genius anyway.

Good to hear that Mucky Foot wasn't put into the grinder though. I'd hate to see you go.

ScuzzerMkV
14th Nov 2002, 03:06
Yes Yes, i'm back, i finally got the game to run again without all the funny colours/patterns.....

I thought i'd pop back n see if anyone had found a proper way to fix it but no luck.

My system is Win 98SE, 256MB RAM, plenty of HDD space, GeForce2 MX200 w/64MB, er what else, oh DX8.1, vid drivers are the ones that came out about september i think (newer ones create more problems apparently), legit version of StarTopia, patched 1.01 & 1.01b.

The problem i had was that when i started the game, after the load bar (with the pic of alien going towards spacestation) the menus (and ingame) would flash and change colours (the green problem). In the video options it saw my card as GeForce2 MX400.

I did what was suggested before, reinstalling game, vid drivers, changing back to DX8.0a, impostors but it didn't help. What i finally found that did it (as someone else has) was switching the Transform & Lighting to Software instead of hardware (although the MX200 is meant to have HW T&L ? ).

Do you guys at Mucky Foot want the yourgfx file or have you given up? :)

Mucky Foot
14th Nov 2002, 11:01
The MX200 and MX400 are functionally identical - they're just slightly different speeds - so that's not a problem.

Yes, all GF2 variants should support hardware T&L, and we did lots of testing on them, and they seemed to work just fine. Obviously there's some little quirk of your system (you'll probably never find it - could be anything) that means something is misbehaving between the drivers and the setup and everything.

OK, well at least you found the problem and can play the game. There won't be any visual difference between software and hardware T&L, just a (pretty small) speed difference.

Yep, send webmaster@muckyfoot.com the "your gfxcard.txt" file and we'll have a look and see if anything obvious is wrong.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

ScuzzerMkV
23rd Nov 2002, 03:37
Thanks to Tom F for helping sort out that problem, i'm now a happy scuzzer.

For anyone else who maybe having probs it turns out my problems were caused by the AGP Aperture being set too low.

dolphpun
22nd Feb 2003, 21:41
Yea and Joy doth overbound. I hope Edios is listening. (fat chance... fat cats)

Believe it or not, this update actually inspired me to reinstall Startopia and begin playing again. Not that I actually have any of the newer video cards, but a friend noticed an update for Startopia which brought me back. If I had my "druthers" I would like to see more support for LOWER end machines. But then that is just me.

Tom F might remember me as one of those people who "mucked about" with Startopia. You know, play the thing for premises OTHER than winning.

I don't expect the Edios-Cats to understand that they have an unknown winner with Startopia. Say they commissioned MuckyFoot for a "update and patch" with a few new features and fixes. Put a new set of boxes in the stores and actually run a few ADS.

I talk with gamer friends, IRL. Everyone has heard of the Sims, the fact that Moo3 might be coming out sometime this century and so on. I ask about Startopia and I get a blank look. Most of us who found Startopia found it by accident. Hidden in a corner of the shelf. I meet regularly with gaming buddies for Lan Parties. I really DO hear from real gamers.

Dolphpun
* <--- tribble. # <---- Borg Tribble. * <--Andorian Tribble.

P.S. Sigh.. back to Junior Member again. *smirks*

Master_Ryan
5th Mar 2003, 20:19
Yup, startopia rocks! hey, maybe instead of working with video issues you could add those biodeck critters in a patch? O!O! or better yet the fighting pit(i dont care if it works =) but probably not cuz of the new things mucky foot is making... o well...

Sunrise
5th Mar 2003, 20:54
I got startopia when electronics botique in chelmsford had a clearence sale. I meant to go and buy worms world party but ended up buying startopia. It was stuck in the corner of the shop with all the other games that were not making any moneybut the shop needed to sell off. I bought it for £1.99. I must say its the game if spent longest on. Most games end up getting boring after yo do all the missions twice and do about 20 sandboxs. But startopia is great.

Mucky Foot
6th Mar 2003, 10:08
That makes me happy :)

Ok not the £1.99/making no money bit but the fact you enjoyed it so much still makes me smile.

zebra3... ...out

MunkeeChum
25th Mar 2003, 21:23
I tried to make someone buy Startopia today....

He said he had no money, but I dont think thats a good excuse :p

Mucky Foot
14th Apr 2003, 15:22
New cardid.tom avalible. Sticky thread post updated.

zebra3... ...out

MunkeeChum
14th Apr 2003, 17:20
You just dont give up do ya :rolleyes:

Now all I need is a new graphics card. Except the 9800 costs £350!

And I aint getting that 5800; noisy, PCI slot eating slab of PCB.

Arctic_Wolf
15th Apr 2003, 14:14
Get a GeForce 4 like me, EA games are starting to add in special extras to their games only available to PCs with GeForce nVidia cards.

MunkeeChum
16th Apr 2003, 12:11
I got a Geforece 4 ti4200.

But I want a DX 9 card....

Arctic_Wolf
16th Apr 2003, 18:54
You can download DX 9, so no need to go out and buy it. Besides if any game actualy needs it, it will be included with the game.

MunkeeChum
16th Apr 2003, 19:18
I already have DX 9. I just want a graphics card that uses all the features it supports.

A Ti4200 does not have have the same features As a Geforce Fx or a Radeon 9800.

Arctic_Wolf
16th Apr 2003, 23:15
:(

AlphaOmega
18th Apr 2003, 22:14
I dunno about NVIDIA stuff... It's constantly being out done by the new ATI stuff, and the company isn't looking too fine these days either...

MunkeeChum
19th Apr 2003, 10:36
ATI all the way!!

Wile_E
3rd May 2003, 22:38
Radeon 8500 64MB w/ Catalyst 3.2 drivers
DirectX 9.0a

When unpacking a blueprint and putting it down, the blueprint is in all white color, when using the new CardID file. When using the CardID found with the 1.01 patch, I don't have this problem.

I can send you my log file for my graphics card if you need it. thanks.

P.S.

Please make another Startopia game or something similar!

MunkeeChum
4th May 2003, 13:44
Originally posted by Wile_E

:D

kool_kats_rule
4th May 2003, 17:24
Originally posted by Wile_E

Uh-oh....they're coming!Hide!

Mucky Foot
14th May 2003, 23:44
the blueprint is in all white color
*sigh* Oh wouldn't it be great if when IHVs fixed a bug in their drivers, it stayed fixed? Pretty sure I know what this is - please contact webmaster@muckyfoot.com and send me the "your gfxcard.txt" file just to be sure, and I'll get it sorted. Ta.

The only thing worse than a patch is a patch-for-a-patch. Sorry about that folks :-(

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Wile_E
21st May 2003, 04:54
I just sent you the gfxcard.txt file. thanks. Oh, what are IHVs?

Mucky Foot
21st May 2003, 23:51
Thanks - I'll take a look.

IHV = Independent Hardware Vendor. People who make add-in boards - graphics cards, sound cards, etc. ATI and nVidia and so on.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Wile_E
3rd Jun 2003, 04:33
Any luck finding out what was going on with the 8500 and the current Card ID?

Thorn
6th Jun 2003, 04:36
Same transparency problem with Radeon 9700 Catalyst 3.4

1.01 cardid works ok, Startopia looks wunnerful forced ani/aa :p

Can mail gfxcard.txt if needed

AlphaOmega
9th Jun 2003, 06:37
Just reinstalled tonight, I get the same white blueprint issues with my Radeon 9000 128 Pro.

Mucky Foot
13th Jun 2003, 10:19
Thanks for the offers of help and for keeping us informed of whats going on with your cards guys.

TomF thinks he's knows whats going on with the above and I've put a new cardid.tom file on the muckyfoot site. Now we've not had chance to fully test it so it's called cardid test (http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/downloads/cardidtest.zip) for the moment.

Can I be cheeky and request you give us feed back here on if this does indeed fix your issues or not.

Ta

zebra3... ...out

Thorn
28th Jun 2003, 21:03
CardID Version 13 9/6/03 - Radeon 9700/XP/Catalyst 3.4 transparency IS fixed. Opened hardcrate plans, room item plans, right side pattern buffer background, missing panes in derelict biodeck sections, all appear correctly.

The hardware T&L graphics option now remains selected between game sessions. All graphics options are ok; 16/32bit, compressed textures, etc. up to 1600x1200.

I apologize for my tardiness. Thank you Mucky, thank you Tom the compatibility mon.

Startopians! This file is *not yet live* on the website. Download, try and report problems if any.

bump bump bump

Wile_E
16th Jul 2003, 02:55
I have a Radeon 8500, and the Catalyst 3.5 drivers seem to have fixed the problem with the blueprints. I also tried the test ID, and it seems to work fine too.

Mucky Foot
16th Jul 2003, 08:38
Thanks for the feed back guys. I've switched the main cardid.zip on the website to the new one.

zebra3... ...out

Narcissus X
9th Jul 2004, 14:10
How about some sort of mini-patch to make multiplayer work properly!! We are trying to start a league, you know!:confused:

KnightRicer
29th Dec 2004, 18:22
Does anyone know where i can still get this patch now that muckyfoots webiste is no more? I've got an original copy of the game from way back that i payed 50 bucks for and wanted to reinstall it but i'd like to have this patch for my new computer.

Mucky Foot
27th Apr 2005, 06:02
A bit late for Mr. Knight, but I am planning to host all the patches (and maybe some odds and ends) here:

www.eelpi.gotdns.org/startopia/startopia.html

TomF - ex-MF.

canadian
20th Jun 2005, 16:44
i found the demo to startopia last year and loved it so i found startopia by fluke to. i searched every store i could find for months after just for that 1 game. its one of the best games ive ever played and btw i cant stand the stupid sims but do like simcity and this is like simcity with way better sim aliens combined(made for the perfect game :D)

ww2-
8th Jul 2005, 01:04
Does anyone know where i can still get this patch now that muckyfoots webiste is no more? I've got an original copy of the game from way back that i payed 50 bucks for and wanted to reinstall it but i'd like to have this patch for my new computer.

You can download the mini video card patch from http://www.strategyplanet.com/startopia/files.shtml (it's still up), but I don't know if it is actually necessary when you have version 1.02 installed (is it Mucky Foot?). Patch versions 1.01, 1.01b and 1.02 can be downloaded from the already mentioned website www.eelpi.gotdns.org/startopia/startopia.html.

Anyway... is there any remains of Startopia's community? It's such a great game, and the graphics are not that old at all =/

Mucky Foot
8th Jul 2005, 08:27
The latest version of CardID.tom (which is the file inside the mini-videocard patch) is part of the 1.02 "patch". Even if you don't use the 1.02 executable for normal play, just for the graphical demo prettiness, the CardID.tom file is fully compatible with all the previous versions.

It doesn't seem to be necessary to update CardID.tom any more, since all the newer cards I've tried seem to just do everything fast enough and well enough, and don't need any special-case code. But if I do update it, I'll be certain to put it on the same page as the 1.02 patch.

TomF.

ww2-
8th Jul 2005, 16:53
Thanks for the answer.

Persian_Prince
23rd Jul 2005, 02:18
yeah..I didn't need it..been good for years..but thanks for the effort

hobbesmaster
7th Jun 2006, 22:02
I seem to not be able to create a new thread in this forum for some reason (just get a blank page), but I think this is fairly related to the post:

Has anyone been able to run the game with a graphics card more recent than the 9800 series? I have a X800GTO (of the AGP variety) and the game will not even get to the main menu.

A series of errors pop up, starting with:
CWB/CFB Failed
then
Create Environment failed
then
Initialization error: Unrecognized error 0x8200000a
then
Bad Display Mode
Your card can't hack it, switching to software rasterizer. MAybe you aren't in 16 or 32 bit colour mode?
then
Bad display mode

Now THATS'S what I call an error.

Seeya!!

While I disagree with the "Your card can't hack it" statement, convincing Startopia seems to be a problem. I have installed the 1.01 and 1.02 patches - no dice. Then I went in and added an entry for my video card, whose PCI ID according to ATI Tool is 0x554F (I checked this against a linux website - seems to be accurate), and so added the entry:

Device:554F RadeonX800
Tweak:RENDERSTATE_TWEAK_CARD_CANT_DO_TFACTOR 1
Tweak:SRT_ENABLE 1
Tweak:IMPOSTOR_ENABLE 1

under Vendor: 1002 ATI. This had no effect. I finally tried adding:

Device range:0000 FFFF RadeonX800
Tweak:RENDERSTATE_TWEAK_CARD_CANT_DO_TFACTOR 1

as the first item after "Vendor:1002 ATI" - this didn't do anything either.

So does anyone have any ideas? I bought this game when it originally came out (several computers ago) and was going through my stack of older games and decided I wanted to play it... and now I'm really curious whats wrong.

max_ooze
9th Jun 2006, 17:12
I have an Radeon X800/X850 series card in the form of a PCI-E Asus AX850 Pro (Device ID:5D4F). Never had any graphics issue with it at all, quite the oppisite in fact, the game renders brilliantly on it. My effort of seting up the game was just to push all the sliders to max (except resolution, damn monitor) and start playing.

If it helps my Video settings are:
- Graphics Device: Auto (Hardware T&L) Direct3D T&L HAL
- Resolution: 32 Bit 1024x768 (75Hz)
- Level of Detail: Manual/Max
- Animation Quality: Max
- Mitmap Quality: Trilinear/Max
- Texture Quality: 32bit/Max
- Lighting: Auto (on)
- Glossiness: Auto (on)
- Fogging: Auto (off)
- Transform and Lighting: Auto (Hardware)
- Anti Alasing: On
- Impostors: On/Max Quality

The Graphics card does list itself in the device list as "(Hardware T&L) RADEON X800/X850 Series" even though there is no matching "Device" parameter in the cardID.tom file. I have never set it to this though as the Auto/Direct3D settings have always worked perfectly.

hobbesmaster
10th Jun 2006, 04:23
Thats interesting... what version of the Catalyst drivers are you using? My computer doesn't even start loading the menu.

max_ooze
10th Jun 2006, 04:48
I just got the latest ATI Catalyst (V1.2.2314.20337) last week, but all of the older versions of catalyst I have used worked just as well. I built this PC about 8 months ago and never had any startopia issues with any of the graphic drivers I have used.

bobby_newmark
9th Jul 2006, 02:25
Hello Folks,

I'm posting this here because I just discovered how to get Startopia to run my new machine. It has a GeForce 6600 GT installed. After installing the game, the menu didn't show at all, and after applying the patch, it first looked fine, but I discovered that in-game, the camera would jitter a lot, making the game rather unpleasant to play.

So I started digging a bit:

Startopia uses the cardid.tom file in it's installation directory to configure each graphics card model separately. However, the game is rather old, and there are no entries for newer cards, so the game uses default settings for cards it can't recognize. And this doesn't always work.

However, if you've got proplems running the game, you can edit cardid.tom and add an entry for your graphics board. Here is the card info I added blow the Vendor:10DE nVidia line into the file to make my card run:

Device:0140 GeForce6600GT
Tweak:SRT_Z_BUFFER_USE_SAME_DEPTH 1
Tweak:SRT_Z_BUFFER_USE_SAME_SIZE 1
Tweak:SRT_Z_BUFFER_DONT_USE_BACKBUFFER_Z 1
Tweak:SRT_POLYGON_SUBRECT_CLEARS 1
Tweak:SRT_THRASH_FREQUENCY 1
Tweak:RENDERSTATE_STATE_BLOCK_MACROS_ENABLE 0

If you have a different card, you can run the game once and load the "your gfxcard.txt" file that the game puts into it's installation directory each time it runs. Open the file and look for a line that says something like this:

IDs: Vendor:10DE, Device:0140, Subsys:00000000, Revision:00A2

The Vendor code, 10DE, is nvidia's vendor code. You'll that code also in the cardid.tom file in the 'Vendor:...' line which starts a section for gfx cards for that vendor. The Device:0140 part of tha line is even more important: With this code, the game identifies your card. Now the best bet you have is to go the section of your card's vendor, and copy the settings for another card from there, but replacing the device code with the code of your card that you got from the 'your gfxcard.txt' file.

Now you've got a configuration just for your graphics card. Note that I didn't research at all what the options do, the only thing I found out is that adding the Tweak:SRT_THRASH_FREQUENCY 1 line fixed the camera jitter proplem I had at first, and I only found out that the option exists because I looked into the exe. However, the cardid.tom file still has configurations for quite a number of cards, giving many examples configurations to learn from.

So good luck and happy card hacking. I actually suggest that people who get Startopia working with their new gfxcard post the card's section here, like I did, so that others can simply past the info into their cardid.tom file.

Hope that helps some of you, so I didn't waste all that time just for myself ;)

Cheers,

Uwe

P.S.: I't half past 4 AM here, so if I babbling BS, blame me tomorrow ;)

Mucky Foot
10th Sep 2006, 21:52
hobbesmaster: That problem is not related to anything in the cardID.tom file - the game is failing to initialise the graphics card well before that stage. I have heard of a few people with this problem, but I don't know what causes it. It seems to be a complete failure to turn on Direct3D for the graphics card, which is very strange indeed! I don't know what to recommend except for the basics - newest version of DirectX, newest drivers, etc.

To clarify things for some - if StarTopia doesn't recognise your card, it should still work - it just doesn't go nuts with the detail settings and features. Updating to the latest cardID.tom may slightly improve performance (especially at higher resolutions), but it shouldn't be the difference between working and not working.

bobby_newmark: Interesting about the SRT_THRASH_FREQUENCY setting. That isn't intended for anything but my personal debugging - what it does is simulate a worse video card than you actually have! Probably what you want to do instead is turn the Impostor detail setting down or possibly off.

Although your instructions should work, I would really really like people to email me with their "your gfxcard.txt" file, and then I can keep the master cardID.tom file up to date and then everyone can download it. The current latest version, and the email to send your own files to, is at http://www.eelpi.gotdns.org/startopia/startopia.html

Thanks.
TomF.